What's an incredibly manly guy like me doing in a nail salon?

willem

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:53 pm

Hahaha :laugh: ! Oh you Dermot, you're too funny! :laugh:

thereshopeyet wrote:
Vanessa Wrote:
......well who knows, i might end up in a nail salon afterall!
A tip.....

Fitting nails with a nail gun takes much skill Vanessa..... watchout!!!

;)

michelew

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:53 pm

dennisg wrote:

Michele: Every time you butch it up you break your nails. Hey, have you ever thought of dressing up like a hooker and showing up at your mom's house?
Haha! Oh that is funny and disturbing on too many levels. :). I'm not sure who would be more uncomfortable ... Me in drag (..oh my ... Bad make up, big heels, big hair and nails and fake boobs), me when she thought I looked great or me when she wants to hear a raucous rendition of "stop in the name of love". No on second thought I think it would be me. :)

cosmicmechanic

Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:16 pm

dennisg wrote:
Pierre: I had absolutely no idea that there was a connection between apples and strong nails. Are you making this up?
The truth and nothing but ... dangerously hard, non-brittle nails, Dennis ! When I quit smoking years ago, I got sugar cravings and hit the candy bars for a while, but then found that apples calmed all that. So it was actually a well-controlled experiment: since that was all the change I was able to handle at the moment, there aren't a whole lot of attenuating factors to take into consideration. I ate on average about 7 apples a day for close to 3 years, then swore off them for over 10 years, could hardly stand the sight of an apple anymore. I recently got over that and feel comfortable with a more reasonable couple of apples a day since the last 6 months, and guess what ? Harder nails again ! B)

Anyway, I did a quick google on the subject and the only pertinent site I could find said that my claim is false, or at least grossly exaggerated ... :silly:
So I beg to differ ...

Pierre

Chasplaya

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:46 pm

Thank Dennis for brightening up my day, a very entertaining thread.

And a confession I too have visited a Nail salon very recently, I received the most unusual Christmas gift of voucher for a foot spa and pedicure. Actually a very relaxing experience, sitting in a massage chair and getting feet washed and massaged by a not so old Chinese lady, who barely spoke English... In half an hour all I understood was that she had been bitten by a dog on her ankle when she was seven... The dog topic came up due to a lady beside me who had a seeing eye dog out for training and it sat too close to the Chinese lady. IN a salon with 10 pedicure chairs and approx 20 manicure places I was the only bloke, it might have been tempting to flirt like Scott mentioned .. but my wife was getting a manicure at the same time so I behaved darn! Now I just have to learn to play guitar with my feet and I'll be set!

abiliog

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:49 am

Uh.....me too! Haha! :laugh: :blink:

michelew wrote:
dennisg wrote:

Michele: Every time you butch it up you break your nails. Hey, have you ever thought of dressing up like a hooker and showing up at your mom's house?
Haha! Oh that is funny and disturbing on too many levels. :). I'm not sure who would be more uncomfortable ... Me in drag (..oh my ... Bad make up, big heels, big hair and nails and fake boobs), me when she thought I looked great or me when she wants to hear a raucous rendition of "stop in the name of love". No on second thought I think it would be me. :)

dennisg

Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:36 pm

Okay, here it is ... one month later, and I know none of you have been able to concentrate on work and family life because my nails keep intruding into your thoughts. So I thought I'd give you an update on two things:

Guitar playing with acrylic nails

Absolutely fantastic. Well, my playing isn't any better, but the way my nails respond to the playing is light years better. I've been beating the living crap out of my nails for a month now ... finger picking, invisible-pick strumming, playing with the backs of my nails. And you'd never know that I'm a guitarist to look at my nails. Of course, you'd never know that I'm a guitarist to listen to me play either, but that's a separate problem. At any rate, I'm a man in love with his nails, and I can't imagine ever NOT having acrylic nails as long as I'm a guitarist. I love the tone I get using my nails.

What happens when your nails grow out?

Funny story. I'm sitting in my dentist's chair. In the middle of a root canal, my dentist looks down at my right hand and says,"Do you have acrylic nails?" I said, "Yes ... I'm a guitarist." He noticed the gap near the cuticles where the nail had grown out a bit, and said, "You need a fill." I laughed and said, "You seem to know the lingo." He smiled and said, "I'm gay! I'm all about mani's and pedi's." Damn good root canal. I hardly felt a thing.

So today I was a big boy and went to the nail salon without my wife. I decided I don't care what everyone in there thinks of me; I'll just go in to the salon without a woman having to serve as evidence of my heterosexuality. There were about nine people in the salon when I walked in, and everyone stopped in mid-buff when they saw me come through the door, masculine as I am. They all stared -- customers and manicurists -- for what seemed to be an uncomfortably long time. When I finally said, "I need a fill," it was as if everyone exhaled at once, relieved that I wasn't there to rob them.

The fill took approximately 15 minutes and cost 10 bucks. It looks like I'll be shelling out 10 bucks every month to make sure these organic guitar picks of mine do their jobs.

So, anyone get acrylic nails since you first read my story?

willem

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:12 pm

:laugh: Thanks for the update Den, a big boy you sure are! :lol:

Well actually, my nails grow just fine, except for my index, só annoying! :S :angry: So if even yóu as the most masculine guy on earth would walk into a nailsalon, then why shouldn't I right??! :P

So yeah, after your story I might! ;) B)

Ness

sbutler

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:02 pm

dennisg wrote:
Okay, here it is ... one month later, and I know none of you have been able to concentrate on work and family life because my nails keep intruding into your thoughts. So I thought I'd give you an update on two things:

Guitar playing with acrylic nails

Absolutely fantastic. Well, my playing isn't any better, but the way my nails respond to the playing is light years better. I've been beating the living crap out of my nails for a month now ... finger picking, invisible-pick strumming, playing with the backs of my nails. And you'd never know that I'm a guitarist to look at my nails. Of course, you'd never know that I'm a guitarist to listen to me play either, but that's a separate problem. At any rate, I'm a man in love with his nails, and I can't imagine ever NOT having acrylic nails as long as I'm a guitarist. I love the tone I get using my nails.

What happens when your nails grow out?

Funny story. I'm sitting in my dentist's chair. In the middle of a root canal, my dentist looks down at my right hand and says,"Do you have acrylic nails?" I said, "Yes ... I'm a guitarist." He noticed the gap near the cuticles where the nail and grown out a bit, and said, "You need a fill." I laughed and said, "You seem to know the lingo." He smiled as said, "I'm gay! I'm all about mani's and pedi's." Damn good root canal. I hardly felt a thing.

So today I was a big boy and went to the nail salon without my wife. I decided I don't care what everyone in there thinks of me; I'll just go in to the salon without a woman having to serve as evidence of my heterosexuality. There were about nine people in the salon when I walked in, and everyone stopped in mid-buff when they saw me come through the door, masculine as I am. They all stared -- customers and manicurists -- for what seemed to be an uncomfortably long time. When I finally said, "I need a fill," it was as if everyone exhaled at once, relieved that I wasn't there to rob them.

The fill took approximately 15 minutes and cost 10 bucks. It looks like I'll be shelling out 10 bucks every month to make sure these organic guitar picks of mine do their jobs.

So, anyone get acrylic nails since you first read my story?
Why Yes, YES I DID, and I LOVE them. I got the same funny looks as you Dennis, and the guy that did mine was REALLY SWEET:ohmy: if you get my drift. Very professional, quick and cheap. But doing construction like work, I thought I busted my thumb nail. I took it back, and in a very sexy oriental voice he said something about separation. So he broke the old one off and fixed it. I walked out standing tall. The best part is that the brand new 814 that Santa got me never sounded so great. Yep, I'm a mans man, but I'll get my nails done every couple of weeks.
Scott

michelew

Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:34 pm

if they helped with nailing barre chords you'd have me hooked.

:)

sbutler

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:30 pm

michelew wrote:
if they helped with nailing barre chords you'd have me hooked.

:)
Michel, You never know what you can do until you try!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic