Some techno help please.....

tombo1230

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:10 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
tombo1230 wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:
Tom:

That made perfect sense to me. After fumbling with these various editors, it seems they are very similar in nature. I appreciate you chiming in on this. The clips you have put together are always sweet! I'll take whatever info you are willing to offer.... B)

Mark:

I got lucky that we had it here at the house. My wife uses it and photoshop for all of our Christmas calendars and movies for the family. I had never messed with it.... :) I read great things about Sony Vega as well. It was listed above PE8 in the list I referenced above. Quite a powerful program I think. I am hoping to try and get a sample up here in a few days for some feedback. I'll try and put together a little list of what I did to get the result.

Thanks!

MJ
Hi Mj,
all you have to do is ask and I will give you any info' I can. I edit for a living, albeit on more sophisticated equipment, but happy to help where I can if you need it. I am using Sony Vegas at the moment for TG-edits.

Tom N.
Tom:

Right now, I am feeling pretty good about the editing and adding in of the guitar track. Once I get that down, I will probably go back and try to add some vocals in the future.

My current issue, albeit a minor one, is getting better lighting in my living room in the evening. I am going to try and get some additional lamps in tonight and see if I can reduce the grainyness in the videos... Only problem with that is people might actually see ME better too and that could be scary..... :woohoo: :woohoo:

Thanks again, and I'll probably be asking a few more questions as I go....

MJ
You can buy lights for video work, have a look on Amazon for instance. Try to light with white lights rather than household bulbs which tend to be a little towards the red side and affects your colour balance, or just make sure you do a colour balance. Also make sure you are recording at best quality as well.

Tom.

Music Junkie

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:42 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
You can buy lights for video work, have a look on Amazon for instance. Try to light with white lights rather than household bulbs which tend to be a little towards the red side and affects your colour balance, or just make sure you do a colour balance. Also make sure you are recording at best quality as well.

Tom.
LOL..... I was just googling "video lighting" as I came back to check the thread...... :P
Finding tone of info and some good YT clips on the subject. The internet and google never cease to amaze..... :lol:

MJ

Music Junkie

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:40 pm

Found a nice little YT video about some inexpensive studio lighting. Thought I would share it.

MJ

tombo1230

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:34 pm

Good stuff, I might put something like that together myself.
Thanks for sharing.

Tom N.

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:39 am

Hey all:

I was able to get a clip recorded last night and put together for a test run......

It is a partial run through Dave Mason's "We Just Disagree". It includes the Intro, the first verse and the first chorus. I flubbed the chorus with an extra half measure of E, but it still works for getting feedback on the A/V at any rate..... :)

I may need to add one more light to brighten it up another notch and further reduce the grainyness, but I looks much better than other attempts I have made lately. Also, the sound synced up well too..... :) The sound was louder on the original clip, so don't know what happened there.... It might just be this other laptop, because I noticed a low volume on another clip today as well. The speakers are turned all the way up, but a few YT clips just sound so low.... :(

Please disregard the head motion throughout the clip, as I have a horrible tendency to sing in my head while playing and move to the music....tried to stop, but it always comes back.... :unsure:

Comments and A/V advice welcome!

MJ

daryl

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:59 am

Jason, Great sound. Lighting looks good to me. The A/V looks a little out of sync (specifically the strumming hand). Did you just visually try to sync or did you try the hand clap trick or the syncing of the video's audio with the DAW audio trick?

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:11 am

Thanks Daryl.

I didn't use a "hand clap", but rather one big strum to line it up. When I zoom in on both audios and use the beat marker in PE8 to line it up, it comes out pretty good. I can't distinguish between the two audios at all, and the line marker hits the beginning of the beat on both audios at the same time. While puting this together last night, I thought that I noticed the strumming hand out of sync a little too, but the fretting hand looked better, and the strumming hand was moving so much faster. I just figured that a little more light might make it look tighter and less sluggish....

MJ

MarkM

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:15 am

Jason,

Look at you trying to sneak in a clip on this thread. :laugh: :laugh:

I agree with Daryl. The lighting looks good. To my ears the sound was fine coming through my speakers. Actually I thought the guitar sounded great. What tuning were you in? Very cool sound. Anyway yest I did notice a bit of difference between the Audio and Video. If you were "eyeballing" it to match this can happen. Especially on faster songs. The hand clap or just tapping the soundboard on the guitar a few times will help. Three taps/3 seconds will do wonders. Good job! Everything looks ready to go.

MarkM

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:59 am

MarkM wrote:
Jason,

Look at you trying to sneak in a clip on this thread. :laugh: :laugh:

I agree with Daryl. The lighting looks good. To my ears the sound was fine coming through my speakers. Actually I thought the guitar sounded great. What tuning were you in? Very cool sound. Anyway yest I did notice a bit of difference between the Audio and Video. If you were "eyeballing" it to match this can happen. Especially on faster songs. The hand clap or just tapping the soundboard on the guitar a few times will help. Three taps/3 seconds will do wonders. Good job! Everything looks ready to go.

MarkM
Thanks mark. I did not think about tapping the soundboard..... :huh: The clap won't work for me as I am recording direct out to eliminate the household noise. The soundboard tap should come through loud and clear though. The lining up was done more with the beat markers in PE8. I was really lining up the two audios and then muting the original audio that was a part of the video clip. I'll go back and look at it again tonight and try another clip with tapping the soundboard.

The tuning for the song is Open E, but I used Open D with a capo II. One of the few tunings you can get away with that from what I gather.... I prefer to use that to keep the tension off of the neck. Open E has some up-tuning rather than all down-tuning. The on-board electronics in the Taylor really give some flexibility and I try to keep the extreme highs out, because they seem VERY chimey to me. I thought that the sound came out pretty good as well. Just wondering why the volume seems so low on this laptop. Will double check it at the home laptop tonight and see if YT is louder there. I want to listen to Daryl's upload there as well, because I could not hear ANYTHING on that, and nobody else seemed to be having a problem...

Well, a few more tweaks and I hope to have it..... :) Would sure be nice to just have a quiet space to record and bypass all of this. It is good to learn this stuff anyway though, so..... B)

MJ

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:10 pm

Man, I just went back and re-watched the clip and there is a VERY noticeable delay between video and audio...... :( The original clip is NOT like that at all!

I did two outputs in PE8 last night. One I did with HD .264 and the other I used the "share" feature through PE8. Maybe something in the coversion/upload directly to YT in the "sahre" caused that..... I wonder If I went back and tried to upload the HD clip on my own if it would sync better..... Always something.... :P

MJ

Edit: I just went to my YT channel and watched it again there and the delay is not as drastic...... My head is starting to hurt...... :S :S

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic