Some techno help please.....

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:39 pm

Hay all:

I looked into the groups:

TG Video Techies
Techno how do I do that

and also did a search of the forum with no luck......

I have come to the basic realization that I will NEVER have what other people know as "quiet time" in my house..... :)

So, I am trying a new route in hopes of posting some videos this year. I have recorded a test run on my Kodak Zi8 and through my DAW (presonus audiobox). The Zi8 has an output of .MOV and the audiobox has an output of .wav (I can also get OGG, FLAC and a few other unfamiliar types). I want to delete the audio from the .MOV file (it has background noise of TV, loud children and a barking dog... :P ) and add in the .wav file. I used to use Windows Movie Maker, but it does not accept .MOV files. I could convert the .MOV to .avi first, but, at times, the quality does not remain very good (depending on the converting software). Does anyone know of a PC based program that could be used to accomplish this?

Thanks,

MJ

MarkM

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:54 pm

MJ I can tell you exactly how to do this. I'll PM you now.

MarkM

willem

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:11 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Hay all:

I looked into the groups:

TG Video Techies
Techno how do I do that

and also did a search of the forum with no luck......

I have come to the basic realization that I will NEVER have what other people know as "quiet time" in my house..... :)

So, I am trying a new route in hopes of posting some videos this year. I have recorded a test run on my Kodak Zi8 and through my DAW (presonus audiobox). The Zi8 has an output of .MOV and the audiobox has an output of .wav (I can also get OGG, FLAC and a few other unfamiliar types). I want to delete the audio from the .MOV file (it has background noise of TV, loud children and a barking dog... :P ) and add in the .wav file. I used to use Windows Movie Maker, but it does not accept .MOV files. I could convert the .MOV to .avi first, but, at times, the quality does not remain very good (depending on the converting software). Does anyone know of a PC based program that could be used to accomplish this?

Thanks,

MJ
AVS VIDEO EDITOR,,,,YOU CAN PUT in TRACK AS MANY AS YOU LIKE and mute the audio on the original vid..

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:33 pm

willem wrote:
AVS VIDEO EDITOR,,,,YOU CAN PUT in TRACK AS MANY AS YOU LIKE and mute the audio on the original vid..
Willem:

Thanks! I have a good lead from Mark, and if that does not work out for me, I will give AVS a go. I used to have it on my old laptop, so I should still have the discs somewhere if I need to reload it on my new one. I used to use that program for a lot things. I had a few problems with the .MOV files for some reason with it though. That was mostly in conversions, and not in audio editing. Never tried the audio editing/mixing before. Will have to see how it does!

Thanks,

MJ

tombo1230

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi MJ, I use Sothink video convertor to make any quicktimes into wmv or AVI files, works pretty good as long as you set it for high quality. It works better than one I paid for Prism video convertor. Wave file is good for in and out of your DAW, again best quality. Don't use mp3 as that is heavily compressed and affects the dynamics of the sound too much. I am sure Mark will keep you right. Oh, and some DAWs let you view video as well.

Cheers,

Tom N.

Hydroman52

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:28 pm

Like Willem, I use AVS.

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:33 pm

Tom:

I'll look into the coverter you mentioned. I have used many different ones and many of them seem to struggle with the .MOV type files for some reason. I think, like you said, it has to do with the quality of output you are looking for....

Hydro: I don't know why I never looked into the audio capabilities in AVS.... :unsure: I had it and used it for other stuff, but now that I am trying to do this, it never crossed my mind.

MJ

Music Junkie

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:38 am

Well.....

The use of Windows Live Movie Maker went pretty well last night. Kind of a pain to sync the audio with the video, but it seems that would become easier with repeated use. Also easier if I trim down the audio first to make a small file to work with. Pretty solid outcome, so I am pleased with it's performance... :) Thanks Mark!

I also gave AVS a try and found that to be a tad bit easier. Had a bug and could not save the song, due to some configuration issues. Thinking that a software update will solve those.... B) Thanks to Willem and Hydro for reminding me of that program!

Again, I am reminded of the great and helpful community we have here.... ;)

MJ

willem

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Well.....

The use of Windows Live Movie Maker went pretty well last night. Kind of a pain to sync the audio with the video, but it seems that would become easier with repeated use. Also easier if I trim down the audio first to make a small file to work with. Pretty solid outcome, so I am pleased with it's performance... :) Thanks Mark!

I also gave AVS a try and found that to be a tad bit easier. Had a bug and could not save the song, due to some configuration issues. Thinking that a software update will solve those.... B) Thanks to Willem and Hydro for reminding me of that program!

Again, I am reminded of the great and helpful community we have here.... ;)

MJ
your welcome...soooo an upload then?????

W.

Music Junkie

Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:47 pm

Just wanted to drop an update on the topic and ask one more question.......

I did a little search for video editing software and found that Adobe Premiere Elements got some good reviews as well. Found out from my wife that she has this program on our desktop here at the house. Gave it a go and, after some trial and error, found it to be pretty easy to use for puting together simple little videos. I think it will be fine for what I am trying to do...... :) :)

Next question......

My living room (the place best suited for my rocking out.....lol) does not get very good light in the evenings when I get to play. I have lamps, but nothing really bright. Are there any inexpensive "filming lights" out there? I can bring in more lamps, and try different bulb types, but I was curious if any of you have specific lights that you use when filming, or if you just try to film at brighter times? Maybe a silly question, but thought I would ask just in case.

Thanks again to everyone for the help so far.

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic