Some techno help please.....

suziko

Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:11 pm

MJ- Just a quick recommendation that I thought of while reading through this thread. Regarding synching audio to video: one thing that Stuart (reiver) had me do when we did our virtual collaboration is to start filming (I also use a Zi8) and then clap my hands together, wait a few seconds and then start playing. It made it much easier for him to synch up the video and audio later (akin to the little clacker thing they use when making movies, i.e. "Take one!").

Just an idea.

Suzi

Music Junkie

Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:29 pm

suziko wrote:
MJ- Just a quick recommendation that I thought of while reading through this thread. Regarding synching audio to video: one thing that Stuart (reiver) had me do when we did our virtual collaboration is to start filming (I also use a Zi8) and then clap my hands together, wait a few seconds and then start playing. It made it much easier for him to synch up the video and audio later (akin to the little clacker thing they use when making movies, i.e. "Take one!").

Just an idea.

Suzi
Suzi:

You are so right. I found that a nice loud strum or clap gave a strong reading that was easier to match. The Adobe Elements has something of a beat matcher built in. As I adjust the secondary audio back and forth to match it up, it will snap to strong signals. Made it so much faster than a couple of the other methods I was trying. It also has a fairly easy system for exporting the finished product into a variety of options..... ;)

I am finding this process both frustrating and fascinating.....lol I like a challenge though, and know that I will get it!

Thanks for the idea!

MJ

tombo1230

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:46 am

Music Junkie wrote:
suziko wrote:

Just an idea.

Suzi
Suzi:

You are so right. I found that a nice loud strum or clap gave a strong reading that was easier to match. The Adobe Elements has something of a beat matcher built in. As I adjust the secondary audio back and forth to match it up, it will snap to strong signals. Made it so much faster than a couple of the other methods I was trying. It also has a fairly easy system for exporting the finished product into a variety of options..... ;)

I am finding this process both frustrating and fascinating.....lol I like a challenge though, and know that I will get it!

Thanks for the idea!

MJ
Hi guys, the standard 'film sync' method is ideal when you remember to do it (clapperboard or hand clap) and is the easiest way to sync up in this case the DAW sound to the camera pictures. If you find that you haven't remembered to do this at the beginning of your take then there is still hope, as there is always more than one way of achieving the same results.

Ok, here is the pro method when there is no clapperboard/hand clap to sync to:
Place your edit onto a timeline, video and audio from the camera.
Add below this your daw sound and try to position the daw audio as near to in sync as you care to or can at this point.
Keep the audio levels as they are for now and pan camera track left and daw track right, this enables you to hear the difference in position of the two audio tracks relative to each other.
Next, shift the daw sound until what is in the right track is in sync with what is in the left track. You will hear it when it is correct.
Now reduce the levels on the camera track to zero.
Next, centre once again the daw sound and you should be listening and watching in sync, the video pic's and daw sound.

Hope this makes sense and helps. If your editing software can't pan left or right, then your only hope is sync to a big beat or do it by eye.

Cheers,

Tom N.

willem

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:58 am

tombo1230 wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:
suziko wrote:

Just an idea.

Suzi
Suzi:

Thanks for the idea!

MJ
Hi guys, the standard 'film sync' method is ideal when you remember to do it (clapperboard or hand clap) and is the easiest way to sync up in this case the DAW sound to the camera pictures. If you find that you haven't remembered to do this at the beginning of your take then there is still hope, as there is always more than one way of achieving the same results.

Add below this your daw sound and try to position the daw audio as near to in sync as you care to or can at this point.
Keep the audio levels as they are for now and pan camera track left and daw track right, this enables you to hear the difference in position of the two audio tracks relative to each other.
Next, shift the daw sound until what is in the right track is in sync with what is in the left track. You will hear it when it is correct.
Next, centre once again the daw sound and you should be listening and watching in sync, the video pic's and daw sound.

Hope this makes sense and helps. If your editing software can't pan left or right, then your only hope is sync to a big beat or do it by eye.

Cheers,

Tom N.
These are some great tips,,,never thought of an handclap or big beat,,,thanks..

is it handy to do it before and after???

Hydroman52

Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:24 am

MJ, Suzi, Tom, & Willem,

Thanks for the tips. I am new to the synching video/audio thing and your suggestions help a lot.

Hydroman52

tombo1230

Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:09 am

willem wrote:
tombo1230 wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:
suziko wrote:

Suzi:

Thanks for the idea!

MJ

Cheers,

Tom N.
These are some great tips,,,never thought of an handclap or big beat,,,thanks..

is it handy to do it before and after???
It is customery in film and Drama whether on film or video to put a clapperboard either end. It really isn't neccessary here Willem, as you only need a one off sync point at the start. It may be usefull when recording to vocally ident the song and the take each time though, then clapperboard sound. So for instance: 'Here Comes The Sun,' take three, then clap!

Tom N.

MarkM

Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:19 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
[quote]Just wanted to drop an update on the topic and ask one more question.......

I did a little search for video editing software and found that Adobe Premiere Elements got some good reviews as well. Found out from my wife that she has this program on our desktop here at the house. Gave it a go and, after some trial and error, found it to be pretty easy to use for puting together simple little videos. I think it will be fine for what I am trying to do...... :) :)

MJ Adobe Premier Elements 8 is what I was trying to remember when we were speaking. That is what I was using before I got lazy and started going down the path with MS Moviemaker Live. You are right that you can match the sound waves between the Video's audio and the Audio track that is added. Certainly easier to match than trial and error with MS. I just never got around to exploring all the other features with PE8. Since then I had bought Sony's Vegas Movie Studio HD 11. I haven't used it yet for a TG movie but will start to plow through the families Disney trip to make a movie. That is if I can put the guitar down when I have free time. Let us know how you progress with Adobe as I may go back to that if you crack the secret code............

MarkM

Music Junkie

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:12 pm

Tom:

That made perfect sense to me. After fumbling with these various editors, it seems they are very similar in nature. I appreciate you chiming in on this. The clips you have put together are always sweet! I'll take whatever info you are willing to offer.... B)

Mark:

I got lucky that we had it here at the house. My wife uses it and photoshop for all of our Christmas calendars and movies for the family. I had never messed with it.... :) I read great things about Sony Vega as well. It was listed above PE8 in the list I referenced above. Quite a powerful program I think. I am hoping to try and get a sample up here in a few days for some feedback. I'll try and put together a little list of what I did to get the result.

Thanks!

MJ

tombo1230

Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:03 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Tom:

That made perfect sense to me. After fumbling with these various editors, it seems they are very similar in nature. I appreciate you chiming in on this. The clips you have put together are always sweet! I'll take whatever info you are willing to offer.... B)

Mark:

I got lucky that we had it here at the house. My wife uses it and photoshop for all of our Christmas calendars and movies for the family. I had never messed with it.... :) I read great things about Sony Vega as well. It was listed above PE8 in the list I referenced above. Quite a powerful program I think. I am hoping to try and get a sample up here in a few days for some feedback. I'll try and put together a little list of what I did to get the result.

Thanks!

MJ
Hi Mj,
all you have to do is ask and I will give you any info' I can. I edit for a living, albeit on more sophisticated equipment, but happy to help where I can if you need it. I am using Sony Vegas at the moment for TG-edits.

Tom N.

Music Junkie

Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:17 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:
Tom:

Mark:

Thanks!

MJ
Hi Mj,
all you have to do is ask and I will give you any info' I can. I edit for a living, albeit on more sophisticated equipment, but happy to help where I can if you need it. I am using Sony Vegas at the moment for TG-edits.

Tom N.
Tom:

Right now, I am feeling pretty good about the editing and adding in of the guitar track. Once I get that down, I will probably go back and try to add some vocals in the future.

My current issue, albeit a minor one, is getting better lighting in my living room in the evening. I am going to try and get some additional lamps in tonight and see if I can reduce the grainyness in the videos... Only problem with that is people might actually see ME better too and that could be scary..... :woohoo: :woohoo:

Thanks again, and I'll probably be asking a few more questions as I go....

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic