Some techno help please.....

AcousticAl

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:15 pm

How long did you think I could stay away from this thread?

Hey MJ!

Something funny off the top-
At first I thought you had messed up and somehow flipped the video during editing--
Then I remembered you're a southpaw!!   :laugh: 

I watched both the 'lighting link' and your upload.  Let me say it's great to finally see another video from you, MJ!
I know from the few vids you have up on TG that it's the tip of the iceberg of what you can bring to the TG upload-world. 

Re. The Lighting video. He's using basic 3-point lighting, and a DIY set. IMHO its way over the top for our purposes.
I've found that it's very easy to find MANY technical reasons NOT to upload a video. But the bottom line is as long as we can see both hands (and face?) clearly- no one will complain. Once you get your sync issue sorted out (and it sounds like you're almost there), just go for it!
I sync my videos by-eye as well, Mark.

Btw, for others that might be interested- I have a link on the basics to recording yourself in the TG-Techies group
http://www.totallyguitars.com/allcommun ... roupid=106

And apologies to member 9999 who asked me a question on there almost a month ago! I'll respond soon.

Cheers!

AcousticAl

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:17 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Man, I just went back and re-watched the clip and there is a VERY noticeable delay between video and audio...... :( The original clip is NOT like that at all!

I did two outputs in PE8 last night. One I did with HD .264 and the other I used the "share" feature through PE8. Maybe something in the coversion/upload directly to YT in the "sahre" caused that..... I wonder If I went back and tried to upload the HD clip on my own if it would sync better..... Always something.... :P

MJ

Edit: I just went to my YT channel and watched it again there and the delay is not as drastic...... My head is starting to hurt...... :S :S
MJ,

Read this link from TG Techies I wrote on a similar issue

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:24 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
How long did you think I could stay away from this thread?

Hey MJ!

Something funny off the top-
At first I thought you had messed up and somehow flipped the video during editing--
Then I remembered you're a southpaw!!   :laugh: 

I watched both the 'lighting link' and your upload.  Let me say it's great to finally see another video from you, MJ!
I know from the few vids you have up on TG that it's the tip of the iceberg of what you can bring to the TG upload-world. 

Re. The Lighting video. He's using basic 3-point lighting, and a DIY set. IMHO its way over the top for our purposes.
I've found that it's very easy to find MANY technical reasons NOT to upload a video. But the bottom line is as long as we can see both hands (and face?) clearly- no one will complain. Once you get your sync issue sorted out (and it sounds like you're almost there), just go for it!
I sync my videos by-eye as well, Mark.

Btw, for others that might be interested- I have a link on the basics to recording yourself in the TG-Techies group

And apologies to member 9999 who asked me a question on there almost a month ago! I'll respond soon.

Cheers!
Al:

I figured with the thread title, you would pop in eventually..... :laugh:

I would agree that we don't need that much, but I definitely needed to add some light to my video, because it was very bad to begin with. My living room offers little to no light at night. What I did was just bought two of the little clamp on lights and used only one attached to the pole on the lamp. Pointed it at me when I was playing and it made a world of difference. Total of about $25 for both lights and both light bulbs. Not worried about umbrellas or "hair" lighting (not much hair left to light... :woohoo: ). I am a little baffled by the sync issues right now. Seems they are different on the clip here in this post than they are on the clip on my YT channel and both are different than on the original output from PE8. The original looks spot on..... I think the upload/conversion did something to it. Not sure if I can even do anything about that.... I read through your post in the groups when deciding to start this thread and figured we could always use even more info to muddy the waters for everyone.... ;)

Thanks for the encouragement and the info!

MJ

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:30 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:
Man, I just went back and re-watched the clip and there is a VERY noticeable delay between video and audio...... :( The original clip is NOT like that at all!

I did two outputs in PE8 last night. One I did with HD .264 and the other I used the "share" feature through PE8. Maybe something in the coversion/upload directly to YT in the "sahre" caused that..... I wonder If I went back and tried to upload the HD clip on my own if it would sync better..... Always something.... :P

MJ

Edit: I just went to my YT channel and watched it again there and the delay is not as drastic...... My head is starting to hurt...... :S :S
MJ,

Oops, just missed this little addition when typing my response.... :P

There are various output choices in PE8, so maybe a lesser quality output or maybe sticking with .avi or .mpeg2 would be better for YT uploads. I kept the output at .m2t which is WAY more than necessary, but was just keeping it HD. There were options for various flash video styles as well as .mpeg2 (various levels of those) and a few others s well. I am sure a few of these other styles will work better with YT.... Learn something new everyday.... B)

MJ

dennisg

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:56 pm

Yay, Jason! I just happened to stop by this thread and noticed your video. Great sound coming out of that Taylor, even if you are playing it backwards. So good to see you in a video. And it's good to see that someone in America can wear shorts right now.

AcousticAl

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
AcousticAl wrote:
Music Junkie wrote:

MJ

MJ,

Oops, just missed this little addition when typing my response.... :P

There are various output choices in PE8, so maybe a lesser quality output or maybe sticking with .avi or .mpeg2 would be better for YT uploads. I kept the output at .m2t which is WAY more than necessary, but was just keeping it HD. There were options for various flash video styles as well as .mpeg2 (various levels of those) and a few others s well. I am sure a few of these other styles will work better with YT.... Learn something new everyday.... B)

MJ
The gist of my YouTube issue was that they couldn't properly read my final file- with audio married to video. They didn't have the right 'codecs' to read the file properly. I had to take the entire finished video and export it as a different video format. One that they could properly read.

So what I'm saying is that you just changing your audio file and then exporting the same type of finished video might not work.

Edit- I just re-read your post and I think you get me.
You're going to try a different video format.

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:45 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
The gist of my YouTube issue was that they couldn't properly read my final file- with audio married to video. They didn't have the right 'codecs' to read the file properly. I had to take the entire finished video and export it as a different video format. One that they could properly read.

So what I'm saying is that you just changing your audio file and then exporting the same type of finished video might not work.

Edit- I just re-read your post and I think you get me.
You're going to try a different video format.
Yep, I figured I would double check with YT and see if they have a section where they list the "most" acceptable formats and then just see if PE8 will output in that format. If not, I can run my finished product from PE8 through WMM, or one of the various video converters I have and find something that will be a bit more compatible....

MJ

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:49 pm

dennisg wrote:
Yay, Jason! I just happened to stop by this thread and noticed your video. Great sound coming out of that Taylor, even if you are playing it backwards. So good to see you in a video. And it's good to see that someone in America can wear shorts right now.
Hey Dennis! Thanks for the comment. I have to admit that there are always days that I truly feel "backwards"..... :silly: :silly:

As far as the shorts go, it has been hot down here the last few days. The Santa Ana winds came up and we were in the 80's over the weekend. I wear shorts year round though..... Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.... :huh: :huh:

I have to admit that this guitar sure does love them open tunings...... I have been messing with several songs in Open D and this one just worked with open E. That big ole D chord is so nice IMO..... :)

MJ

tombo1230

Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi MJ, I have come across the sound delay problem you are experiencing and there are two things that affect it usually. One is that certain file format conversions delay or advance the sound in relation to the picture. I found MP4 seemed to do this with my converter. Also something equally important, if your sync is out by one frame say, then you send it to the DAW and you have another delay from the DAW and you convert the sound and if it adds more delay it will get very noticeable, simply because one or two frames adrift is all you need before you spot the difference in sync with the naked eye. If it then converts for Utube I am fairly sure that delay can sometimes be added here and before you know it, it is 5 frames out of sync which is a lot really. It's a fifth of a second for PAL and a sixth for NTSC. What I am saying really, is when you add your final mix from the DAW, try to make sure it is as exactly right as you can sync wise, then any other small additional delays may not be too apparant, I found WMV or AVI worked well for me.

Lightingwise I am looking at l.e.d. bulbs from Amazon or elsewhere. You can get 4W bulbs that are the equivalent of 40W bulbs. This has got to be good enviromentally not to mention cheap to run. Initially you pay more per bulb but the advantage is they have a long life expectancy and are bright.

Tom N.

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:27 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
Hi MJ, I have come across the sound delay problem you are experiencing and there are two things that affect it usually. One is that certain file format conversions delay or advance the sound in relation to the picture. I found MP4 seemed to do this with my converter. Also something equally important, if your sync is out by one frame say, then you send it to the DAW and you have another delay from the DAW and you convert the sound and if it adds more delay it will get very noticeable, simply because one or two frames adrift is all you need before you spot the difference in sync with the naked eye. If it then converts for Utube I am fairly sure that delay can sometimes be added here and before you know it, it is 5 frames out of sync which is a lot really. It's a fifth of a second for PAL and a sixth for NTSC. What I am saying really, is when you add your final mix from the DAW, try to make sure it is as exactly right as you can sync wise, then any other small additional delays may not be too apparant, I found WMV or AVI worked well for me.

Lightingwise I am looking at l.e.d. bulbs from Amazon or elsewhere. You can get 4W bulbs that are the equivalent of 40W bulbs. This has got to be good enviromentally not to mention cheap to run. Initially you pay more per bulb but the advantage is they have a long life expectancy and are bright.

Tom N.
Tom:

I have fond the same to be true about MP4 files.... I had that problem with mkv files for a while until I found a better converter. In Adobe Premiere Elements 8 (PE8) it gives me several output options for my final product. I import my .MOV file and my .WAV file for syncing and then chop out the potions that I want from each before dragging them to the storyboard. Once they are there, I can click on the beat meter and input my desired parameters. Once I hit play, I can watch it run through and see in SEVERAL positions throughout the files where the differences are (all seem to be the same, as you would hope and expect, since it is shifted slightly). I can then zoom in and drag the audio file forward or backward to line it up. From there I mute the original audio and then mix down to whatever file type I choose. The first one I chose was .m2t which is a type of blue-ray format, very good result when watched on my laptop, and in perfect sync. I then decided to give the automatic YT uploader a try to see if it worked. It seemed to last night, but I never double checked it, since I was tired and ready for bed. Low and behold when checking it this morning after a few comments, I noticed it was so far out of sync. I tend to agree with what you are saying and what Al eluded to earlier. I would have thought that the auto-uploader would have used a pre-approved file type, but that was probably an error in judgement on my part. I am going to try and mix to an AVI or a WMV output tonight and then try uploading it to YT myself to see if I get better results. If not, I will try running my output through Windows Movie Maker and get their output which seems to work for everyone else, as long as that does not put it out of sync itself.... Funny how all of this does or does not fit together..... Once I have it down, then I will at least know for future reference....

The lights I got were the mini fluorescent daylight spectrum bulbs. They were 23W which is equivalent to 100W. The video quality seems to be good enough now and probably could improve another notch with a tad bit more light, but I would be happy with where it is with a better sync.

Thanks again for your info. This is some really useful stuff!

Cheers!

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic