Are you lacking the Sheep-gene too?

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi Stuart.
No problem if you don't get the sheep reference. I'm referring to the way big Corps and government seem to think they own us and we are expected to bleat and not bark back. It's just the way my mind works, trawling a net picking up this that and the other and putting them together. I was not upset by YT and I hope wasn't ranting - I was enjoying a cosy breakfast at the time feeling at one with the universe ;-). That's the problem with the written word... you can't see the face (and the intention) behind what's said at the time. I was flattered that the Robot search even detected much resemblance with the original. No big deal in itself. The only point here is, I'm already within my rights, I know what they are and I don't infringe someone else's. I pay great attention to that as I think most people do most of the time. So I was a little annoyed (irritated) to get the note... again.

The note from YT (I've had several before) was just one of a number of items caught in my mind's net on the theme of freedom, Internet issues and government control and the passing or attempt to pass more and more restricting laws as if citizens were the subjects of a government and not their electors. And the SOPA And PIPA and Twitter issues are happening now. At Christmas time, I watched lots of movies (as is tradition when I'm in Canada, 2 or 3 a day!) and the FBI warning really gets on my nerves as it addresses us as untrustworthy potential criminals all. I've paid for the DVD, why do I have to put up with that notice threatening me every time I watch a movie? You can say it's nothing to be bothered about... or you can say, why should we have to accept it as the standard way of addressing a customer buying my wares. Pretty bad marketing wouldn't you say? Imagine Apple putting a Don't Steel One of These! on the packages of their iPhones or iPads. I don't like the way the entertainment industry treats us expecting us to consume like sheep and not say Baaah when they threaten us... just in case we dare think about infringing their big business. It's just how I see it. So with that background, knowing that the SOPA and PIPA stuff has been carried by the entertainment giants, that is more than annoying.

I'm not sure how what I said at the beginning and how I phrase it takes away from any of the points I make though. Surely they stand alone if they are strong points? I'm just saying how I see something and my points made either stand up or don't on merit. But thanks for reading anyway.

Andy, I can see that so many Americans are really unhappy with many of the things their representatives have been doing over the past 12 years and more and rightly so, WTF?! I've been shaking my head at stuff for so long now ... no matter who's in power. This goes much deeper.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:07 pm

Chris- as usual you are more well informed on American politics than most Americans!! Congrats! What do you guys do in Switzerland all day? Make chocolate and cheese and watch CNN?
Bigbear my friend, no not CNN ;-)! That's the whole point! Internet every time... I saw what happened with Lou Dobbs and how Ron Paul gets treated at CNN so I now switch to Al Jazeera and RT (Russian) to get the bits CNN are hiding... I already have what they are hiding from CNN so its an illuminating balance. My favourite source though, is Jon Stewart.
No Sheep-gene here :)
Glad to hear it Silver! ;-)

MarkM

Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:17 pm

I've tried to refrain from adding my $100.00 to this never mind my two cents but just can't seem to any longer. I'll keep it short and sweet.

Congressional Term Limits...............

MarkM

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:20 pm

Mark
They do need a talking to from the electorate, don't they Mark!

lueders

Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:29 pm

I have the" Black Sheep" gene...

MarkM

Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:46 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Mark
They do need a talking to from the electorate, don't they Mark!

OK I'll hold my peace after this. If folks still can't determine where I fall in the political spectrum then I'm doing the right thing.

Look we have a two party system that is essentially two sides of the same coin. Presidents have term limits. I'd prefer to see them have a 6 year term with max two terms. That way they aren't campaining every 2 1/2 years.

House and Senate should have 6 year terms with two max as well but staggard as they are now. There is too much money in US politics. The big spenders are the ones with the money and influence regardless of party. They all hedge their bets anyway and play the odds. No different than betting at the craps table. You lengthen the terms and take out wasted time campaining and infux of money from K street. You set term limits and reduce the potential for corruption and increase the possibility that the individual will govern for the people that they represent. It's not perfect but, in my opinion, better than what we have now. Of course, if I'm not mistaken, congress would have to pass this. Ever hear of a snowball's chance in hell???? If you don't have elections every freaking two years then maybe just maybe they figure out that they are stuck with each other for a while and actually govern.

Ok where is my guitar..............

MarkM

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:26 pm

I have the" Black Sheep" gene...
Cori
Ha! Thought so! :cheer:

reiver

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:39 pm

Chris
I'm glad to hear you weren't upset when you wrote your original post. I obviously misinterpreted your level of frustration, possibly due to your use of the expression "I am annoyed".

Stuart

AndyT

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:48 pm

Term limits is a great start. Forcing congress to abide by the same laws the rest of Americans are subject to is another giant step in the right direction. Making it treason punishable with permanent banishment is another good step. Any politico that attempts to alter the law to create a privileged class is guilty of treason and thrown on the next garbage scow leaving the country, never to return. Public office is a privilege, and these criminals need to be held accountable.

These steps would go a very long way to restoring America to the great place it used to be.

dennisg

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:48 pm

reiver wrote:
Chris
I'm glad to hear you weren't upset when you wrote your original post. I obviously misinterpreted your level of frustration, possibly due to your use of the expression "I am annoyed".

Stuart
Ah. Stuart, me lad, you make every thread worth reading.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic