Thinking of you all in Europe

michelew

Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:31 am

I've just been reading more about the vicious and deadly cold snap that people in Europe are experiencing at the moment. 223 people dead... That's so heartbreaking. -38 oC in the Ukraine, -35 oC in Poland, freezing canals in Venice, snow in Rome. It's all so hard to fathom here in Autralia where it's summer. But no less deadly.

Mind you, Australia hasn't escaped the extremes of climate this weekend. Here in my home state it's been raining so much that 17,000 people have been cut off/isolated and seriously affected by flooding.

It's all sad and my heart goes out to those of you that have been affected. I especially hope that our TG-er in Europe and your loved ones stay safe and warm.

Be safe. I'll be thinking of you.

Michele

tovo

Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:34 am

Well said Shel. Terrible for those affected and I hope the worst is past soon.

willem

Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:53 am

Its not so bad here Image

michelew

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:58 am

Hi Shel,

That's really thoughtful.....and it's true, I guess it ain't so bad here in Holland (at least where I live).....yes, there is a lót of snow and all traffic (yesterday) has been a disaster....last night the temperature dropped to -23 C. wich hasn't happened for 27 years...so yeah it's cold....

But today it's sunny and a very beautiful day, I just wish I could say that about the other countries where people have died.....and gosh, floods ain't fun as well... :ohmy: :(

Thanks sweetie..

neverfoundthetime

Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:37 am

Thanks for the warm thoughts from down under Shel. It was down to -20 last night here but apart from a few frozen railway points and delayed trains or the odd collision on an icy road somewhere, its actually not a problem with a cold snap here. The people in danger are those living on the streets and old folks who can't afford to heat their house in eastern Europe or poorer lands, then its really hard for those poor people and people do die.

here the experience is very different. I actually enjoy a nice cold snap for a few weeks. The skies are blue the air is crisp and the sun shines when its cold like this as its brought on by high pressure area hanging overhead. The air feels and smells very clean and its great to go for walks through the frozen landscape and drink something warm (hot chocolate with thick cream on top is best) when you get back inside. Up in the mountains its even colder but its a winter wonderland and incredibly invigorating. And the houses here are built with almost a meter thickness of insulation. I must say, when I'm in England, it feels much colder there as the houses are so badly insulated and there's often a draught inside and a wind outside. The good news alround is, another few weeks of this and it's spring... which last year started early and sunny, ran into a very sunny summer which extended into a lovely sunny autumn and ended only in November. Unfortunately, the news only filters to bad or the awful and serves that up.

Music Junkie

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:25 am

Very well said Michele..... :)

I take for granted the very mild climate that I live in. I complain at times that we have no "seasons" here in this area. We stay very close to 65-70F most of the year with a few cold spells and a few warm spells. I can't even imagine -38C! I whine when it gets to the 50's.....

I am so glad that things are o.k. for you Willem, Ness and Chris. I hope all my other TG family over there is fairing the same.... Take care and stay warm. Enjoy the sunshine when you can.

I had to run to look at a couple of projects yesterday and caught these pics.... It was a bit colder than usual up there yesterday.... Image

willem

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:32 am

Music Junkie wrote:
Very well said Michele..... :)

I take for granted the very mild climate that I live in. I complain at times that we have no "seasons" here in this area. We stay very close to 65-70F most of the year with a few cold spells and a few warm spells. I can't even imagine -38C! I whine when it gets to the 50's.....

I am so glad that things are o.k. for you Willem, Ness and Chris. I hope all my other TG family over there is fairing the same.... Take care and stay warm. Enjoy the sunshine when you can.

I had to run to look at a couple of projects yesterday and caught these pics.... It was a bit colder than usual up there yesterday.... Image
what is it? A sort of watering system?

abiliog

Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:16 pm

It is indeed a little more cold these recent days but I guess I'm a lucky guy; 7º Celsius at 5 PM, maybe -2º C or -3º C during the night where I live. Our houses are not built with very low temperatures in mind, but for now it is bearable. Just some extra cold for a few days.
On the other hand -23º C in the Netherlands, ouch.
Thanks Michelle and Tovo for your thoughs,
Abilio

haoli25

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:10 pm

Yeah, I agree with Chris, it definitely has it's great sides (apart from the traffic-chaos). Like I said, today was an absolute górgeous day! :cheer:

Let me show you some of it, I'm definitely not the only one enjoying the snow, ask my boys, Handsome and Romeo, the three of us enjoyed our long walk very very much! :) :

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I actually enjoy a nice cold snap for a few weeks. The skies are blue the air is crisp and the sun shines when its cold like this as its brought on by high pressure area hanging overhead. The air feels and smells very clean and its great to go for walks through the frozen landscape and drink something warm (hot chocolate with thick cream on top is best) when you get back inside

willem

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:21 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Yeah, I agree with Chris, it definitely has it's great sides (apart from the traffic-chaos). Like I said, today was an absolute górgeous day! :cheer:

Let me show you some of it, I'm definitely not the only one enjoying the snow, ask my boys, Handsome and Romeo, the three of us enjoyed our long walk very very much! :) :

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I actually enjoy a nice cold snap for a few weeks. The skies are blue the air is crisp and the sun shines when its cold like this as its brought on by high pressure area hanging overhead. The air feels and smells very clean and its great to go for walks through the frozen landscape and drink something warm (hot chocolate with thick cream on top is best) when you get back inside

Lovely Vanessa,,but I hope it rains tomorrow warm water...lol well maybe I film tomorrow all the ice skaters which have fun and is real dutch..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic