One year later: how do you feel about the busking threads?

reiver

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:06 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Excellent points made Stuart!
Thank you, Chris! Sometimes I get fed up just being the eye-candy around here............

Stuart

MarkM

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:09 am

On the down side – I wouldn’t like to it turned into a version of You Tube Lite, where people I’ve never heard of turn up, upload a bunch of songs they know and make no other contribution to the site. That doesn’t fit with the ‘community’ ethos which we seem to have developed here. I have no investment in these people and I can go to You Tube if I want to experience that.

Nice question, Dennis.

Stuart[/quote]

Stuart you summed up a very important part for me on this topic. Apart from not having nearly as much time as I used to on this site when I do come back for a visit I usually look to the folks that I've come accustomed to first. Also I'll check out the new members postings of songs and see what they have to offer. My "comments" have decreased as there are just so many songs to see. However I do try and comment on the individuals that I have come to know fairly well over the past few years. As for the Target songs for review I'll almost always comment regardless of who posts it as they are looking for the "review".

The busking threads are what they are. I do enjoy them but just can't comment as much as I would like as there are just so many. When inspired by a song or performance I do try to thank that individual for posting as well as congratulate them on job well done. It's not an easy thing to throw yourself out there even if it is for busking. Some members post more thatn others. Although I don't have any issues with that I do find that if those same individuals participate in the over all community I am more than likely to watch and to comment. If on the other hand they fire off a bunch of videos and are never heard from again then at the most I'll watch if I have time but I won't comment.

Originally when the busking threads came out they were for specific bands. That got my attention and I would watch. If there was a band that I wasn't interested in I wouldn't watch unless it was from a member that I was really interested in seeing what they came up with or their individual progression. For the most part that is the same now. However with the 3 or 4 chord busking threads popularity it has become unmanagable for me to watch consistantly. So many songs. I go away for a few days and I don't know what I've missed. Also I have no idea what songs they are playing. Its a bit frustrating to follow as I'm sure there are many great performances in there that I'll just not get to.

Al made a point regarding the Led Zep busking thread. THAT caught my eye and I was really blown away with the most recent performances and willl use that as a guide as I look to learn some of those songs. So long post short here. I don't really care one way or the other on the busking threads. I would say the more the merrier but lets get the bands back in the title so I and others may be notified on something we may be interested in. I've posted both in the review and the busking threads. I don't expect the same kind of response for both. Busking is for fun and when I post a song for review it is usually to show something new (technique/level of difficulty) that I want to have reviewed.

MarkM

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:36 am

You are a devil and a dark horse sir! And I love it! :laugh:

reiver wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:
Excellent points made Stuart!
Thank you, Chris! Sometimes I get fed up just being the eye-candy around here............

Stuart

buddy

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:38 am

Very interesting thread.

Busking by its very definition is the art of performing and I think that what Chris did by starting the busking threads was one of the best features to develop on TG. Chris is a very perceptive person, and the busking threads helped solve some of the issues on TG created by a want and desire for people to post songs outside of the lesson venue. So I think it is working great and I thoroughly enjoy posting and watching videos on the busking thread.

In regard to this thread itself, I find that many times whenl people express an opinion, what they are really saying is that they want everyone else to be like them, to view the world like them, to express and enjoy music like them. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your view of the world, not everybody is like them. So instead of being able to accept people for who they are, they resent their differences and this is a very sad thing.

To me, one of the most wonderful things about forums is that it is a place to meet and appreciate so many different types of people. That is one thing that I really love about TG, is that their are so many different people with unique personalities who are expressing themselves through the love of music. This is not something that should be controlled or censored to make everyone fit into the same mold and that, in my opinion, would lead to a severe decline in TG.

So Chris, you have my heartfelt and personal thanks for creating the busking threads, they have been a true joy to participate in and to listen to others expressing their love of music.

I know this response is also full of opinions based upon my personality so their is no need to point that out, :P

To busk or not to busk, that is the question,

Bud

Music Junkie

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:40 am

dennisg wrote:
What I've noticed regarding my own feelings about busking threads is that they've changed over time. I used to be mostly opposed to them because I saw a decrease in the number of videos of lesson songs as the number of busking videos increased. Nowadays, it seems that there are far fewer videos of lesson songs being put up.
Dennis:

I tend to agree with this statement, but from my standpoint, I like it. At the risk of being ostracized, I am not a big fan of the Beatles or Damien Rice, or many of the artists that we have lessons for here. So if I want to post something (which I am just beginning to get around to - so my argument might not carry much weight - I know), it is more than likely going to be something non-lesson related. We have the "recommend a lesson" section here at the site, but it seems to me that a majority of the songs that come out lately are not from that list (I could be wrong there, I have not done a study... :unsure: ). So for others to post songs that they have learned and share them, I dig it. I know they won't get reviewed, but I can still talk to that person and get some help from them, and I have done so in the past. When lesson reviews do come out, I can still watch them for the technique pointers and garner what I can from them. I also have enjoyed watching folks push their limits a bit and add the singing in. I find that very difficult, and I like the inspiration and motivation.... :)

So, to make a long story even longer, I think they are a valid and interesting part of the site. I would be bummed if they were not here now that I have been exposed to them. Also, like Marc mentioned earlier, if I am not interested, I can skip it or not comment...... B)

buddy

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:56 am

I would like to address something that Bear posted in his response to Ness, Bear wrote

"Nesh- I didn't state them as facts and they are only my opinion but I get ALOT of email from friends of mine on this site and the excessive postings are an issue to many members. I am far from alone in my concern for this issue."

If their are these types of e-mails going around, I would encourage those sending them to Bear to instead send them to the people they have concerns about. How else are others supposed to know about you concerns if you express them to Bear instead of directly to those you are frustrated with. Otherwise, these back door e-mails just turn into gossip and get people whipped up about issues. If someone comes to me with and issue about another forum member, I tell them they should contact that member directly and express their concerns in a constructive manner, this is a much more mature way to address issues and is much healthier for all involved.

So let the e-mailsl begin, LOL.

Bud

dekotaj

Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:16 pm

WOW people.

I got to say I just got to this thread this morning.I was thinking I was going to read about how everyone love to watch there brother and sister play and singing there songs.But what I found was a lot folks giving there opinion on this thread.What a great site!How do we find out about each other than through there own words.We don't all hang out and have camp fire chats.(What a shame). So opinions are good things,Heck we all learn what other our feeling.Some of us like them some not so much and others are funny.(Stu,What a hunk of a glorious Scottish male)Fell for you brother.Funny stuff.Almost had my tea coming out my noise.

For my OPINION.Post song don't post song.What ever blows wind up your skirt.Give and opinion don't give one.Make this site work for YOU and share it with all of US.And as far as posting songs,my opinion(and I've said it many times before)It was You tube that brought me to this great site.As many others.And if we want our family to grow we need folks to find the great people and the great lessons HERE.How do we do that,Let the people find us the same way.Through our music on U-tube.SO POST FOLKS,and let the world find us and join in the FUN!!!

I've become such a better guitar play here from all the great music I find here.And a better person from finding all of you here To share my passion of music and friendship with.Thank you all for that!!!

Kevin

Chasplaya

Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:20 pm

Well I've been away over the weekend and have only just read this thread. Phew what a lot to read!

For me the Busking thread is great its an extension of learning; I'm guessing a whole lot of folks are here to learn with the aim of performing and what better way than to do it in front of our peers, if your not then its a way to be introduced to new songs. Like TV if you don't want to listen then just scroll on by! Switch channel!

I do agree with Ness though it does become difficult at times to keep up as new ones tend to get lost in the plethora of videos appearing, a method to highlight new ones would be useful.

The balance of reviews is falling behind and that is also a shame and that may be because folks are more comfortable with busking which is less judgmental (not that members are overly judgmental in the first place). It can also be a way to push along a song for inclusion as a lesson. It could also be a means to illustrate what we've learnt from another TG lesson. Maybe we need to point these things out when posting busking tunes/songs. Another option might be a tick box scheme to either allow a review of a busking post or not.

I also agree with the comment about it becoming a YT lite, that's not what draws me here, so maybe we can get more out of busking than we currently do (add a PayPal link :laugh: :laugh: ) jk folks...

Chasplaya

Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:28 pm

Just noted another point to add..

The Busking threads all commence with Busking.... whatever etc, whereas the upload for review videos start with the name of the artist i.e. Willie Nelsons ... etc etc.

So maybe the upload for review needs to be a bit more in our face and have the post title start with that eg.

"Uploaded for Review by Neverfoundthetime: The Reach by Dan Fogelberg"

lueders

Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:27 pm

Hello All...

Rick, to this day I respect you perhaps as much as anybody on this site. I've known you to be a straight-shooter and generally speaking a fair-minded individual. I sincerely mean that. I am aware of your opinion on : excessive "hey, look at me" type posting...(which I agree with b.t.w) Suzi REALLY hit the nail on the head on that point.

Anyways, Rick I am a little surprised, by the feelings of you & other undisclosed members, toward busking. Naturally, all are entitled to his/her opinions..yet I am puzzled as to why since the current statistics simply do not support the assertion that reviews have dropped off because members are irritated by the mere existence of a busking channel. ( B.T.W. Stuart, nicely put!)...you said it better than I ever could have...

If we were to call up Doc Brown & travel back in time in his DeLorean to when the busking threads were first introduced. I believe we would see that the Forum was not exactly teeming with "songs for review." You have to remember, it was only a FEW DAYS AGO that we have even been seeing reviews again? How old are the reviews we're currently seeing? 6 months? a year? If I was gonna look for a reason why songs for review have dropped off I might be inclined to think members aren't/weren't uploading because they didn't see the point in it. Whether it was a combination of the resource being thin, or technical issues, or whatever...I am thankful for busking. If nothing else it has given us something to do all this time! I see it as a feature that has helped sustain the community during weeks at TG when not too much was going on.

I occasionally hear things like " the forum has lost its mojo," " in the"early days the banter was more pleasant" and "wish you would have been here two years ago...and all that. Well, I've only been here one year. That has been long enough to see that
like everything else, there is an ebb & flow to participation on the forum & on T.G. and I am thankful busking is there to keep things fresh in those slower times. And I believe it DEFINITELY has. When you have a record setting busking thread that outta tell ya something. NEARLY TEN THOUSAND VIEWS in one thread, in a little over a month?? I mean that is unreal. Who are we kidding?
This thing is increasing participation...not decreasing it...

And what's so wrong with seeing songs you're unfamiliar with? That's one of the things I like best about the busking channel & target ( ESPECIALLY IF THEY"RE TRULY GREAT SONGS)A lot of the stuff, currently in the Target program is a mite obscure too ya know? Caravan? Yeah, it's great song...I have learned to appreciate the musicianship they have to offer & that of the PROG ROCK genre as a whole. (I owe the target program for that.) But somebody like me who was born in '76 that isn't ever gonna be my bread & butter. (I understand what you are saying M.J) The busking channel has the ability to introduce folks to other genres if open to it) Chances are good, the only place we will ever see some of these songs, is from each other in the busking channel.

I will admit that like (Dennis, MJ and ??) said...I was skeptical of Busking at first. I even thought the name "busking" sounded show-off-y and counter-intuitive to the fact that this was predominately a learning site. In hindsight, Boy was I wrong about that! I used to think...alright if I am gonna be a guitar player I have to learn all twenty-six parts of some ridiculously elaborate arrangement of Bohemian Rhapsody. But, honestly that's kinda silly if you think about that for more than ten seconds. I figure I am learning just as much playing 3-4 chord songs with Krista...

A.) We're learning to play together
B.) I'm working through the complete arrangements (rather than sections)
C.) I'm getting better at remembering the songs the more I do
D.) I have been practicing performing rather than just playing
E.) I am in it for the fun...who really thinks of playing 3-4 chord song as showing off?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic