One year later: how do you feel about the busking threads?

coomba

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:12 pm

Ok so I'm confused (not difficult)

The question asked was how do YOU FEEL about the busking threads ? Why is it that if your answer to a very specific question is not the happy answer that a lot here seem to won't There is a string of responses telling you that you are wrong. In the nicest possible way.
This is exactly why I don't usually get involved with the forum very often. God help anyone who crosses the purple circle.
I don't know why anyone asks for an opinion its pointless.

Cheers Scott

PS Please don't ask about singing!

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Hey Scott, you put your view and said how you feel, others are doing the same, so I guess the question is being answered... all the views given are equally valid. Purple circle?

reiver

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:50 pm

coomba wrote:
Ok so I'm confused (not difficult)

The question asked was how do YOU FEEL about the busking threads ? Why is it that if your answer to a very specific question is not the happy answer that a lot here seem to won't There is a string of responses telling you that you are wrong. In the nicest possible way.
This is exactly why I don't usually get involved with the forum very often. God help anyone who crosses the purple circle.
I don't know why anyone asks for an opinion its pointless.

Cheers Scott

PS Please don't ask about singing!

Who do you think is trying to deny you the right to your opinion, Scott? I haven't noticed your name mentioned or anything you said quoted in anyone else's response. Apologies if I'm wrong in that. You don't like busking videos? That's absolutely fine. The debate livens up when people try to claim things which don't appear to be backed up by the facts - and that seems to me to be fair game for some response.

And perhaps it's to generate some lively discussion that the question is asked in the first place. Some people miss that kind of thing.

Stuart

dennisg

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:14 pm

And perhaps it's to generate some lively discussion that the question is asked in the first place. Some people miss that kind of thing.
It's exactly that. Thanks, Stu.

I'm more inclined to make an effort toward making the forum the kind of place i want it to be rather than to bitch about its shortcomings or to wax nostalgic about how much better it was in the past. As I recall, in the past we've had guys using the forum to say extremely inappropriate things to female members, we've had what I consider to be foaming-at-the-mouth political rants, and we even had a guy who compared Matt to Bernie Madoff simply because Matt wanted to put small ads on the site.

At the core of this site is a group of people who provide a safe place to post your video or express your opinion. In my 2-1/2 years here, that hasn't changed at all. It feels as safe as it ever has.

The question was about how you feel about the busking threads. I feel satisfied that people are answering the question, and all opinions are welcome. It's a discussion that can include some polite disagreement, and that's fine with me.

coomba

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi Stuart
I am not referring to direct attacks on me , I am talking about the forum in general. Ive been here for a while now and I don't participate as much as most but I do read the forum and it seems obvious to me that all is well here as long as you agree with a everyone else. An opinion is asked for and answered. An opinion is just that, a personal thought it can't be wrong, you may not agree with it, That fine but its not wrong. I just don't see why it must be justified.
Just read through this thread and I think its clear. It is to me anyway.

This is only my opinion agree or disagree I don't mind either way.

Cheers
Scott

suziko

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:39 pm

it seems obvious to me that all is well here as long as you agree with a everyone else

Scott,

I'm really sorry to hear that you feel this way. My experience here at TG is quite the opposite to what you are saying. I've always said what my real opinion is (including in this thread) and there have been times that my opinion has lined up with the majority, but also times where I've been in the minority. I've had disagreements about specific subjects with fellow TG members in the forum, but they have always been polite, respectful debates. I have no problem with other people holding opinions that are different from my own. In fact in my response in this thread, I alluded to the fact that we all have different standards and opinions on how things "should" be done here at TG. But I enjoy hearing the opinions of other people- even when they're counter to my own. And there have certainly been times that I've come to feel differently about a subject after I read and thought about the opinions of other people on the forum. I also have no problem with someone challenging me on my opinion. If someone wants to know why I feel the way I do- I'm happy to tell them, and also happy to make an effort to back up my opinion with solid reasons. They are free to disagree or agree with me as they want.

I like seeing active and passionate discussions in the forum as long as people are respectful and polite to each other (which I think everyone has been in this thread). Disagreeing with a person's opinion does not mean you are being disrespectful to the person.

Chasplaya

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:58 pm

suziko wrote:
it seems obvious to me that all is well here as long as you agree with a everyone else

Scott,

I'm really sorry to hear that you feel this way. My experience here at TG is quite the opposite to what you are saying. I've always said what my real opinion is (including in this thread) and there have been times that my opinion has lined up with the majority, but also times where I've been in the minority. I've had disagreements about specific subjects with fellow TG members in the forum, but they have always been polite, respectful debates. I have no problem with other people holding opinions that are different from my own. In fact in my response in this thread, I alluded to the fact that we all have different standards and opinions on how things "should" be done here at TG. But I enjoy hearing the opinions of other people- even when they're counter to my own. And there have certainly been times that I've come to feel differently about a subject after I read and thought about the opinions of other people on the forum. I also have no problem with someone challenging me on my opinion. If someone wants to know why I feel the way I do- I'm happy to tell them, and also happy to make an effort to back up my opinion with solid reasons. They are free to disagree or agree with me as they want.

I like seeing active and passionate discussions in the forum as long as people are respectful and polite to each other (which I think everyone has been in this thread). Disagreeing with a person's opinion does not mean you are being disrespectful to the person.
Often people say things somewhat more eloquently than I, this is one of those occasions. Well said Suzi!

Hydroman52

Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:07 pm

Wow! This thread has really changed direction since I started writing this. Oh, well . . . . hope this is still appropriate . . . . .

When I joined this site, I did so because I understood Neil’s teaching principle as . . . . . I will teach you techniques to apply to other songs so you can learn to figure them out by yourself without my help. This is what I wanted to do. To me, the busking thread is a shared performance thread. It gives TG members the opportunity to give an example of what they know, what they’ve learned, and how they’ve applied it to songs that aren’t in the lesson catalog. I look at it as the ultimate compliment to everyone here at TG for a member to show what Neil and all the other members of the site have helped them to accomplish. It's also a confidence builder for me to see others improving around me. It tells me that I have come to the right place and have made a good decision in selecting a good educational environment.

Now for a personal experience - the Busking thread has recently paid off in dividends for me. Besides giving me new ideas and licks to steal from others and use in the stuff that I play, it has yielded an opportunity to be able to play with a very accomplished local harmonica player. He had been trolling the Internet for musicians to jam with in the area, and ran across the Green Lake, WI TG jam thread that heatndude posted last year. He then connected that post with some of the Busking videos that I posted, and he recognized bassman Jerry playing the bass, harmonica, and singing. Both of them have been attending similar musical events for a number of years and have been rubbing elbows for a while. He contacted bassman Jerry, said he liked what he saw, and wanted to know if we could get together. Jerry then invited him to be a guest star at one of our jam sessions a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, he accepted, showed up, and we had a great time learning the finer points of the harmonica and what it takes to jam along with a really good player. Just listen to the J. Geils Band – Full House (Live) album, and you’ll be hearing the kind of stuff that he’s capable of playing. Boy do I have a lot of practicing ahead! If it hadn't been for the Busking threads, I'd highly doubt that the connection would have been made.

So, it’s probably been said before, but . . . the Busking Thread is like a box of chocolates . . . . . you never know what you’re going to get.

A couple more of my thoughts/preferences on Busking:

It’s easier for me to find songs posted under the artist or performer rather than being posted by individual song.

I wouldn’t like to see the Busking stuff separated from the Recent Activity area. In my opinion, it isn’t cluttering anything up at all.

The value of the lessons, student reviews, fly-on-the-wall, busking, collaborations, and other general discussions are all equal to me. I’m constantly learning new things from every point of the compass, and quite frequently need to revisit topics to remind me of things that I’ve forgotten.

As far as posting songs by bands that I am unfamiliar with and maybe more obscure, bring it on! I like discovering new things. To expand on something Suzi mentioned earlier, I believe they are all jewels waiting to be discovered by someone. Remember, those of us yakking in the forum are probably the vocal minority here at TG, and we may never understand how much these things help the silent majority.

But that’s just me rambling.

Hydroman52

AndyT

Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:54 pm

I wasn't here when they started a year ago but in the time I've been here, I've enjoyed them. So's not to slight anyone or hurt any feelings, I won't mention names--but some of the videos have been thoroughly entertaining.

I have an idea: Why don't we decide it ain't broke and don't fix it.

TwoCat

AndyT

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:25 am

How do I feel about the busking threads?
I think they are almost exactly what they should be.
The only 'change' I would make is to focus some of them more on the lesson each person is working on. Other than that, they fill a gap in the site rather nicely.

TG is about learning to play guitar. That's it designed purpose. It's evolved purpose is for guitar students to discuss all thing musical and learn from each other, even if we don't always agree.

If I post something that goes against the majority of the current, I can expect some backlash, although not the kind that is hateful or disparaging. If I try and walk through the streets of New York on the wrong side I'll encounter resistance. It's only natural. So, I don't worry about it.

Rick, you still playing devil's advocate? LOL He doesn't need the help.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic