Nice case for digital recorder

Hydroman52

Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:32 am

So, a few months ago, I picked up a TASCAM DR40 digital recorder. I wanted to be able to just toss it into a case and drop it into the little duffel bag in which I tote all my other guitar swag (head phones, sheet music, spare batteries, etc.) The problem was that whenever I searched for one, the results were for cases that cost around $50 US. To much for me to pay. So I kept wrapping it in bubble wrap and foam padding to keep it from getting destroyed.

There has to be a better way!
One plug-ugly case

Well, the search is over. For anyone that has a DR40, look for the Tamrac MX5383. It is a case for camera flash attachments and fits the recorder almost perfectly . . . . for under $20 US. If you have a different model or brand of digital recorder, you may want to check out the other cases these guys make. Just Google “Tamrac cases” for their site. Be careful when you buy any case like this so that you are looking at the inside dimensions of the case when you chose the one that you want. All I did, was measure the maximum dimension of the device, added about 1/8”, and found the case next size up from those measurements. When I used this method, the case would be about 1/2 “ larger all the way around. I figured that I would have to add some foam padding to make it fit snug. Fortunately, a small spiral notepad for taking recording notes fills the gap perfectly.

Here are some photos:

Front
Side
Back

It has a flap on the back with industrial strength Velcro so you can strap it to your belt without having to remove it and let your pants drop to the floor. A good thing, mostly.

Velcro back flap

It seems to be very well constructed and is already somewhat padded.

Inside

It even has a bonus pocket to hold some other junk like spare batteries, SD Cards, and an SD Card reader.

Bonus pocket

Hope this helps someone,

Hydroman52