...and how has your day been?

neverfoundthetime

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Is there anything worse than a windows automatic update causing your computer to crash big time and nothing you try works to solve the problem, no repair works, no re-boot works... all that time searching on-line in a minuscule IPhone screen to find a solution and... nada! I think I read everything in the virtual universe about the error message: 0x80070002. And don't ask me about searching for "backslash" on a German keyboard when you need to enter a command or two (which you are completely bewildered by anyway)! The entire day gone with the wind. And then you're faced with a trip to the repair shop, saving your data and re-installing EVERYTHING! And the bill. And wasn't it just the day before you were thinking, hey long time no update... must do that! And you didn't. And you're dusting off an ancient laptop which worked on hieroglyphics and you have to up date EVERYTHING before you can even use it as a reserve. And in the meantime, the 100 or so kids signing up for next weekend's squash tournament will be signing up to a file you can no longer access and will need to work-around on the run and you can't find the 8 referees you're supposed to provide for the national Play-offs same weekend either. :angry: :S (we need an icon which is pulling its hair out)

So I feel like the guy on the right in the clip below. But there again, like the guy in the clip, I'm up and fighting back and I'm checking out the Kony video and watching the grieving of those poor parents at the loss of all of those Belgian children in a Swiss tunnel on the way home from a school ski trip (28 dead)... and remember some damned fine folks I know who are facing some really tough health issues and operations right now and realise my day was just slightly inconvenienced after all.

How was your day?

haoli25

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:12 pm

I'll buy you a beer, Chris. :( I think we have all fell victim to Windows Updates and the problems that they can cause. I hope everything is sorted quickly for you.

Bill

dburns99

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:35 pm

Praise the Lord for bourbon.

michelew

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:41 pm

OUCH!! :unsure:

Sorry to hear of your woes Chris.

It's true that no matter how crappy you feel and no matter how badly things seem to be going for you, there is always someone doing it harder. We both live very fortunate lives.

On the windows front I have to say that Vista made me into an Apple convert and since the second I switched on my iMac, plugged it in and it sang to me, I haven't looked back and I've become my own IT support team. In comparison to the 600,000 error and security messages I used to get on my windows system and the viruses and crashing and....don't get me started... I feel like I never have problems now. That's not completely true as my last distorted video will attest to, but that's how it feels.

Good luck mate. Get a Mac! :). Oh no i hear him say...and now the mac vs PC war starts again. ... Any second now. :)

Of course the solution here is forget the computer and pick up your guitar.

Shel

The bus crash and the Kony atrocities are very sad indeed.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Well, I started out with Mac and loved every second of our time together ;-).

I would have called MS support but I was afraid the conversation would have gone like this.....

michelew

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:23 pm

Of course Chris the twins seem to be getting quite a bit of satisfaction and enjoyment out of that discussion.

cosmicmechanic

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:37 pm

Ever had your computer's power supply fry while you were using it ?

If so, you will know that it's not an exaggeration to say "My computer exploded !" :woohoo: What a noise, and what a stink ! :blink:

Good thing my tongue was not between my teeth when that happened (in the late 90s) ... lost 2 hard drives, no back ups ...

But that's crappy hardware, not an OS issue.

... oh yeah, it's been a fine day ! Where's the poll so I can vote on this ?

Pierre

neverfoundthetime

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:48 pm

Man that guy was not pulling his, er, punches! And those kids are just a bundle of joy.... :-)

Good to hear from you great folks, I feel a song coming on... here's to Big Macs and fried bytes Pierre and Shell (and I'll take a beer with a bourbon chaser Bill and dburns)...

thereshopeyet

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:30 pm

Thanks

neverfoundthetime

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:36 pm

That's what hurts Dermot, I should know better.... I know better than to ignore a thought like that... you have to act straight away...or suffer the inconvenience...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic