Dennis sells an article to a guitar magazine

dennisg

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:51 pm

There's an old saying: nothing bad can ever happen to a writer. I think what that means is no matter how awful an experience is, we're likely to profit from it by turning it into a sellable story. That was exactly the case with me recently.

Remember my open-mic night? I came home from that experience wanting to write an article about it, so I did. But who to sell it to? After giving it some thought, I identified two guitar magazines that I really admire: "Acoustic Guitar" and "Wood & Steel." Acoustic Guitar had just run an article on open-mics, so they weren't interested. But Wood & Steel was very interested, and they contacted me the same day I submitted the article and offered to buy it.

If you've never heard of Wood & Steel, it's the magazine that Taylor sends to everyone who's ever registered a guitar with them -- plus they send it to all their dealers for them to give out to customers. I've always thought it's a great magazine, filled with interesting guitar facts, how-to articles, and tips on playing. I'd read it even if I weren't a Taylor owner.

Anyway, look for my article in the summer issue. Those of you who aren't Taylor owners can pick up a copy at a Taylor dealer.

thereshopeyet

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Hello Dennis

Great that you sold the article .... :)

Thanks for the heads up on the Wood and Steel Magazine.
You can download the current edition and some back issue pdf's here:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/wood-and-steel

TheresHopeYet

neverfoundthetime

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:12 pm

Nice job Dennis! When its published, can you post it on the forum? Like to read it.

dennisg

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:17 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Nice job Dennis! When its published, can you post it on the forum? Like to read it.
I can tell you when it gets published -- at which point you might find it at a Taylor dealer -- but I can't post the article in the forum because it's copyrighted material, and I no longer own the rights to it. If your local dealer doesn't carry the magazine, you'll eventually be able to read it on Taylor's web site, as Dermot was kind enough to point out.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Yeah, I was wondering how that would be with the copyright Dennis... thanks for the links Dermot.

AcousticAl

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:51 pm

Looking forward to reading some of your work, Dennis.

buddy

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:13 pm

Congrats Dennis !

michelew

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:53 pm

Great job den! No surprises there. They would have been fools not to use your writing, which I always find informative, insightful, amusing and just a great read.

Congrats!

I love your work.

Shel

willem

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:04 am

Great Dennis,,looking forward to that edition...I wonder also what the headline would be..

Willem

Chasplaya

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:47 am

Awesome mate and congrats on getting published that's a big deal.. and I know for sure!!! I will certainly look out for your article.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic