Dennis sells an article to a guitar magazine

dennisg

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:28 am

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Dennis, this may be the beginning of a whole new literary genre ...

I've heard of some novels that were based on movies, like "Starman", "E.T.", the "Star Trek" series,
but ... "You saw 'Open Mike' the guitar video, now are you ready for 'Open Mike', the guitar magazine article?"

Yes, the pen is a mighty weapon and I can only imagine how you will wield it.
For example, I hope you describe your epic encounter with the disheveled and drooling Master of Ceremonies at that event.

Anyway, it will all be great reading , for sure !

Happy for you here, good news :)

Pierre
Pierre,

Just to reset your expectations: It would have been fun to write a humorous article about my open-mic experience, but I doubt that any guitar magazine would have bought it. The article is about how to prepare for your first open-mic. While the article isn't really about me, there are a couple of places where I demonstrate how NOT to do something, using myself as an example. Since the MC doesn't really figure in to how to prepare for an open-mic, I didn't mention him.

BigBear

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:42 am

Dennis- that's awesome!!! As a Taylor owner I read every issue and it is a great magazine. Can't wait to see you put your journalist background to good use.

You said Summer issue but when wil it actually come out?

Cheers! :cheer:

dennisg

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:55 am

BigBear wrote:
Dennis- that's awesome!!! As a Taylor owner I read every issue and it is a great magazine. Can't wait to see you put your journalist background to good use.

Thanks very much, Rick. Very nice of you, and I totally agree that it's a great magazine. It's probably the only magazine I get about which I can truly say that I read every word.

I just sent an email to my editor asking him when the issue hits the street. I'll let you know the answer when I hear back from him.

BigBear

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:22 pm

dennisg wrote:
BigBear wrote:

Thanks very much, Rick. Very nice of you, and I totally agree that it's a great magazine. It's probably the only magazine I get about which I can truly say that I read every word.

I just sent an email to my editor asking him when the issue hits the street. I'll let you know the answer when I hear back from him.

Sounds great, thanks!! I'm looking forward to it. With as many Taylor owners as there are on this site it's great that "one of our own" gets to contribute. Could it work into a periodic gig?

suziko

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:28 pm

Mazel tov, Dennis! I've always been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the articles in Wood and Steel, given that it's basically a free magazine. I read it cover to cover every time a new one comes (and it recently spawned my newest case of GAS for the GS Mini Mahogany). I'll look forward to reading your article.

Suzi

dennisg

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:31 pm

BigBear wrote:
dennisg wrote:
BigBear wrote:

Sounds great, thanks!! I'm looking forward to it. With as many Taylor owners as there are on this site it's great that "one of our own" gets to contribute. Could it work into a periodic gig?
You never know. I once submitted a wine article to a newspaper, and they liked it enough to ask me to write a weekly column. So, who knows with Wood & Steel. I suppose if I keep coming up with topics that interest them, they'd be happy to publish them.

dennisg

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:04 pm

Rick,

I heard back from the editor. The magazine will start to become available the first week of July.

MarkM

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:49 am

Dennis I'm just getting to this as I've been travelling all week. Congratulations!!! As others have said and I agree that this is a wonderful publication. It's too bad we only get 4 of these a year. Your article will be a great addition to this magazine and I'm sure all of its readers will enjoy reading what you have to say. Great job Dennis!!!

MarkM

beaker

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Congratulations Denis. I will look forward to reading your article. Beaker.

dennisg

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:43 am

suziko wrote:
Mazel tov, Dennis! I've always been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the articles in Wood and Steel, given that it's basically a free magazine. I read it cover to cover every time a new one comes (and it recently spawned my newest case of GAS for the GS Mini Mahogany). I'll look forward to reading your article.

Suzi
Your mazel is gratefully accepted. Based on what I read every day in a Taylor forum, you're not the only one who's GASsing for a Mini mahogany. There's a lot of pent-up demand for that little guitar.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic