Dennis sells an article to a guitar magazine

Craig

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:16 pm

Dennis,
I just want to share a story with you regarding my day and how you were directly a part of it!!

I had a little time on my hands today so I drove out to the Taylor Factory to goof around with some incredible guitars, and also to get the summer edition of Wood and Steel magazine. I go out there every now and then and have formed some relationships with a few of the employees in the "gift center." They know me as the "banner guy" (since I did the signing out there). At the time, they thought the banner was a great idea and thought it was wonderful that people from around the world were involved. Well, today I told them that after I signed the banner out there, I sent it on to the next TG member and that was a guy named Dennis in Seattle. Then, I told them that Dennis was the person who wrote the Open Mic article in the latest Wood and Steel. They were all very excited about the "small guitar world" we live in!! Next, they wanted to see how the banner signing came out since most of them were there on that day. So they had me get on their computer and get on TG and show them our banner signing videos. They all thought it was a really cool thing... they actually clapped at the end!!

As far as the article, it was just as I expected...GREAT! Very informative, clever, witty... the perfect combination of great advice yet entertaining. Very well done!

Thanks for being a big part of my day today! :)

Your TG Friend,

Craig

willem

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:53 am

Craig wrote:
Dennis,
I just want to share a story with you regarding my day and how you were directly a part of it!!

I had a little time on my hands today so I drove out to the Taylor Factory to goof around with some incredible guitars, and also to get the summer edition of Wood and Steel magazine. I go out there every now and then and have formed some relationships with a few of the employees in the "gift center." They know me as the "banner guy" (since I did the signing out there). At the time, they thought the banner was a great idea and thought it was wonderful that people from around the world were involved. Well, today I told them that after I signed the banner out there, I sent it on to the next TG member and that was a guy named Dennis in Seattle. Then, I told them that Dennis was the person who wrote the Open Mic article in the latest Wood and Steel. They were all very excited about the "small guitar world" we live in!! Next, they wanted to see how the banner signing came out since most of them were there on that day. So they had me get on their computer and get on TG and show them our banner signing videos. They all thought it was a really cool thing... they actually clapped at the end!!

As far as the article, it was just as I expected...GREAT! Very informative, clever, witty... the perfect combination of great advice yet entertaining. Very well done!

Thanks for being a big part of my day today! :)

Your TG Friend,

Craig

Great story Craig,,glad being part of it just has all of us...now I wait for that digital ''wood and steel'' magazine....

dennisg

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:21 am

Craig,

It really is a small world which, thanks to the internet, forges connections we'd never have otherwise. Thanks for that nice story.

The editor of Wood & Steel just sent me a note to say that he received an email from a doctor who loved my article and, because of it, feels inspired to try doing his first open-mic. Imagine that.

tovo

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:39 pm

dennisg wrote:
Craig,

It really is a small world which, thanks to the internet, forges connections we'd never have otherwise. Thanks for that nice story.

The editor of Wood & Steel just sent me a note to say that he received an email from a doctor who loved my article and, because of it, feels inspired to try doing his first open-mic. Imagine that.
That is damn cool.

Great story as well Craig. Sounds like a blast.

familyman4

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:19 pm

Great additional footnote to an already impressive story!

You don't have to be a "rock star" to have a positive influence on other people's lives. You are the man Dennis....

Thanks again for sharing.
Bart

suziko

Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:02 am

Craig- I really enjoyed your story about going out to the Taylor Factory!

Dennis- I know I've already said it, but I just want to say again that I'm really proud of you for this article. It was just as others have said: informative, funny and well-written. I bet it will inspire many readers to consider doing an open-mic. Give yourself a pat on the back for a job very well done!

Suzi

Catman

Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:34 am

Still not uploaded to Taylorguitars.com :( I'll just have to wait until guitar camp to read your copy, Dennis.

And I can't drive to the Taylor factory either :(

michelew

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:21 pm

dennisg wrote:
Craig,

:) :) :) - no surprises here. You're an inspiring man. I always find your writing informative, inspiring and and very entertaining. Seeing your writing in a professionally illustrated and set up story just made it all the more fun.

... So ... Changing the world one article at a time. :) you definitely rock!

Shel

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:32 am

Apropos "small guitar world"... anyone have any idea how many guitar players are out there?
Anyone have percentage figures for a given population or some such? Would be interesting to know and compare with, say, tennis players (another stringed instrument!).

On Google I found this but have no idea how reliable it could be:

Approximately 0.8% of people in the world or 6.5% in the US, know how to play a guitar.
In my opinion, the percentage of people who know how to play a guitar in the world is about 0.8%. About 6.5% of people in the US, know how to play a guitar. It is estimated that there are 20 million guitar players in the U.S. A survey by CARAVAN found that 43% of adults could play an instrument. 13% could play the guitar. Younger adults aged 18 to 34 were more likely to know how to play an instrument than older adults (51%). Males are more likely than females to player the guitar (17% vs. 9%). 69% of people would like to learn to play an instrument. 29% would like to learn how to play the guitar. There are about 50 million guitar players in the world.

familyman4

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:53 pm

Hey Dennis, Just thought I would mention that while reading my W&S fall issue, this letter from the doctor is listed as the very 1st article inside the front cover!!!

Very cool to see a TG friend listed again!

(Read below direct from the article)

Congratulations again...

:side: :woohoo: :woohoo: :ohmy:
Bart

Listed below is what Dr. Jan Michael Nace had to say:
"STAGE PRESENCE:
Dennis G's article on playing an open-mic night for the first time was exceptional. It was like I was right there listening to him - almost in concert. It was well thought out and written with loads of helpful information. I am a bit older & have been playing the guitar since the 60's with a fair amount of stage experience, but for the past few years have shied away from new stages for more familiar audiences. His article got me to thinking again about trying an open-mic night. Thanks!"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic