I'm Concerned or am I an old fogey?

Chasplaya

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:06 am

My current job means I get home at 2200hrs that's 1000pm to non military types lol. Anyway, I tuned into a NZ TV channel which plays new stuff, my point is this... This music bothers me a bit as it is very defamatory of current times, is this how our younger generation really sees us? the channel is NZ C4, now some of it is really good but some is well.... Is this the same in your country? Now its not all rap either ... What I am saying is some of this stuff really is the music that will be archived and considered as legend... Will this stuff be considered as the 'Beatles message or the ELP message maybe even the Rolling Stones messages of the future? Do we old fogey's know (I'm aiming this at Chris and a few others on the site lol. Give your views team. Sorry can't seem to link you to C4. The majority of the writers on the forum are of a similar genre to me , so I ask the question is this the new direction?

A toughy I think

dburns99

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:27 am

Not that tough.

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:50 am

This is easy Chas, you ARE an old fogey (bwuhaha) and old fogeys think like this...

and young folks think like this...

willem

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:06 am

This lady has won the songfestival here in Holland and we send her out to the bigger one in Europe etc..

I must say that I like the song for that goal and it has some flower power in it ,,well in my ears..

dennisg

Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:40 am

Chas,

Music has always been about rebellion. And yours is the lamentation of every aging generation that's shocked or depressed or offended by the type of rebellion expressed in current popular music. As a child in the '50s, I can remember all the hand-wringing about Elvis wiggling his pelvis, and how it would lead to children -- wait for it! -- having sex. (It did.) As a teenager in the '60s, I noticed that the previous generation was aghast at the Beatles' peace and love message -- certain that it was subversive and anti-government. (It was.)

Many years ago, I asked my mother about this phenomenon, and about whether there was a performer from her generation that the previous generation considered to have "loose morals." She mentioned that Sinatra (Frank, not Nancy) had a hugely inebriating effect on young girls, and their parents were terrified by the potential consequences of their daughters' swooning behavior. It all seems so innocent now. But it was a real issue then.

Don't get the idea that I'm disagreeing with anything you said. I think there's a lot going on in music that's misogynistic and ugly. But whether or not this music stands the test of time is of no concern to me. If the world is going to go to hell in a hand-basket, I don't care what kind of music it is that provides the soundtrack.

I like good music from all eras and I find much to like in every decade -- including the current one. That's why I listen to Radio Paradise on internet radio. They do an incredible job at one thing: playing great music, regardless of when it's from. Give it a listen. You'll feel better. More at peace. That itchy rash will finally go away. You'll be a kinder, more giving lover.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:28 am

Hear, hear, on Radio Paradise Dennis! Pun intended. That was a real find, a gem you shared with us way back. Danke!
I couldn't agree with you more on the music they play.

A few months back, someone pointed out to me that the 50's was the first generation of teenagers, that's when they were invented. Before that, young people were expected to be mini versions of adults, so you went from child to mini-adult somewhere around puberty. Certainly if you look back to Victorian times you can see it. There was a break-out after WW1 in the 20's with the "Brights" but I think they were more like twens and high-society then there was a depression and WW2 mayhem and the 50's was the first period of stability with a broader spread of prosperity, particularly in the USA (back in the UK were were still poor and reeling under the damage of the war... and we didn't even start to get out of that until the mid 60's). So the 50's was the birth of a new kind of young person never seen before.. the teens. And now we can't imagine a world without this hormone-charged demographic running wild! And that's where pop-culture and music stems from. The music of our teen years is going to be the music of our lives... for every generation from now on. We belong to the 1st and 2nd generation of teens on the planet and the main job of a teen is to rebel against parents, the establishment and government until, one day, they are sitting back in club chairs acting out Monty Python in Yorkshire accents ;-). Like what we are Chas, ayup lad!

thereshopeyet

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks

tovo

Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:41 pm

I can't imagine a lot of the stuff that's being played today ever lasting the test of time, but I bet someone about my age said the same thing about Elvis and the Beatles. I remember when punk was at it's most popular seeing The Sex Pistols and thinking that music as I knew it was done. The Ramones had less of a negative affect on me. Similarly there is some RAP that I think is worthwhile, not much, but some. I think styles come and go. Just like us.

willem

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Styles come and go or mix.

Chasplaya

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:20 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
[quote]

and young folks think like this...

You were young once also... or can't you remember bwahahahaha

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic