I'm Concerned or am I an old fogey?

Chasplaya

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:27 pm

@Den,,

I agree with all you've said there, but notice how more 'rebellious' the music seems to get over each generation, first swooning, then teenage sex, then peace and love and anti government; some of the music I heard was actually about revenge and domestic violence its a degenerative curve.

Lavallee

Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:02 am

Every generation has its own battles based on the information you are getting when you are young whether good or bad. Our judgement for the new stuff is based on what we like which is still based on our values from our youth. It was not all good then, but we did not care because we were young and we did not have anybody to protect. The same must apply today, the kids do not like everything that is offered.

Marc

BigBear

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:37 am

Chasplaya wrote:
My current job means I get home at 2200hrs that's 1000pm to non military types lol. Anyway, I tuned into a NZ TV channel which plays new stuff, my point is this... This music bothers me a bit as it is very defamatory of current times, is this how our younger generation really sees us? the channel is NZ C4, now some of it is really good but some is well.... Is this the same in your country? Now its not all rap either ... What I am saying is some of this stuff really is the music that will be archived and considered as legend... Will this stuff be considered as the 'Beatles message or the ELP message maybe even the Rolling Stones messages of the future? Do we old fogey's know (I'm aiming this at Chris and a few others on the site lol. Give your views team. Sorry can't seem to link you to C4. The majority of the writers on the forum are of a similar genre to me , so I ask the question is this the new direction?

A toughy I think

Chas- this country cherishes the protest. It is part of our First Amendment right to free speech. The USA has endured some radical social change brought about by various protest movements. Many of us "old fogeys", as you call them, don't always agree with the protests or the message they carry but we are generally fiercely protective of our constitutional right to allow them.

And protests have always been the preferred method of dissent for the young. And music has played a HUGE role in social protest. I would argue that the 60's, during the very unpopular Vietnam War, was all about protest. The folk movement, to a large degree, was built on protest. Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Tom Paxton, Peter, Paul and Mary, Phil Ochs, Country Joe McDonald, even Donovan wrote many songs that parents of that time disagreed with yet became anthems for the social movements of the time.

So Chas, I wouldn't lose any sleep over current music. For young people, the "world" has always been a beautiful place messed up by the older generation. And music has always been the "Great Equalizer" allowing the younger generation a voice.

Great question by the way!

Cheers!

Chasplaya

Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:03 pm

Some great responses guys keep em coming. To clarify my point though is not concern about protest , as Rick points out its a democratic right of Americans and has brought about positive change and also a lot of good music.

My point that concerns me is the level and kind of protest, the curve if you like gets stronger in its message as the years roll on and how you go about your protest to degree, promoting violence and disorder, where does this degenerative curve level out or do we reach total anarchy first? When is it ok to intervene and stand up and maybe counter protest the protestors lol, surely thats a right also.

This ad came to mind not closely related at all but a bit of light relief...

For non Kiwis, pm me for translations.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic