Windows 7 recording volume problem

neverfoundthetime

Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:53 am

Hi Dennis. Well, I left this data on the old mac sitting in a corner unused as I started using PC laptops for their mobility.
7 years past and when I went to see if I could transfer the data, the OS system (OS8) on the Mac wouldn't communicate with any new Mac and I couldn't update the OS on the old Mac, it had no USB ports and I couldn't connect to the internet because of the out-dated OS and hardware. I did have an external ZIP drive which could be attached but then I couldn't attach the zips drives to any new computer system. Took the whole lot to Mac and they shook their heads pityingly. :blush:

thereshopeyet

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:14 am

Chris
I think when Sigmatel got taken taken over there was no one way to update the drivers.
Thing is it has just been ignored by the powers that be!

TheresHopeYet ( A New Laptop )

daryl

Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:50 pm

Chris.....Is it possible to connect the OS8 machine via a network cable to your router and/or modem and make a local network (LAN) with another (more current) MAC? In the "old" days we didn't have the internet but could still share folders and files via the "local area network" (ie. LAN).

neverfoundthetime

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:39 pm

Daryl: Couldn't get the different OS to understand each other!

After a couple of years with this problem smouldering in the corner, I've decided to give it a last try by depositing it with an acquaintance who is a gung-ho geek for these things and has a mini Mac museum in his bedroom and masters in IT... he thought he should be able to solve it ... so we'll see. I'll report back if and when.

Dermot: The stretch for the 1520 maybe a little more than for mine on W7. Apart from the recoding input problem I have noted and that Drop Box cant register with windows and sync on my desktop there have been no other problems.... as far as I know. Its just as fast if not a little faster than with Vista. And I didn't have any problems with Vista... until that fateful autamatic update disaster!

It's been great having my very own IT support corner here... thanks a lot guys!

daryl

Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:58 pm

I have no doubt your gung-ho geek guy can solve this one. Especially given his "museum". Looking forward to your update.

RicksPick

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:37 pm

Chris Hi

Ive never had a Mac, but I find the easiest way to get files off a hard drive is to attach it to another PC as a second drive,

Rick

dburns99

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:04 pm

Just a thought....have you ever considered disabling the internal sound and getting an external USB sound card? Laptop sound cards bite anyway :)

dburns99

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:11 pm

And the thing about getting data off your old Mac.....there's always the tried and true method of good old fashioned serial communications. The Mac must have a serial port...all you need is a serial comm program on each end running Xmodem or Zmodem or one of those equally archaic and SLOW protocols. If your ports support 115200 bps it might not seem so bad.

I used to do it all the time to get crap off my Apple IIgs. I miss Hyperterminal *sniff*

neverfoundthetime

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:46 pm

:laugh: Had to laugh at you quoting the gung-ho geek guy back at me Daryl, I didn't realise how funny that sounds... I wonder if Simon will think the same. He's smart, I think he can crack it. I think he's going to have remove the HD and do some voodoo on it.

@ dburns99 , I still have serial port adaptors lying around somewhere... and yeah, I'll start looking at getting a more sophisticated sound set up, now I'm forced too!

Rick, I took the old monitor I used to use with the Mac to the skip a while back and almost couldn't lift it out of the car boot... 25 kilos worth! Them were t' days! When we tried attaching another computer they two couldn't talk to each other... close your eyes for 7 years, turn around and oops, all changed. How many of us have family video tapes from 10 years ago on cassettes that we don't have a machine to play them on today. Gong to have to digitalise all that stuff soon... and then forever keep up-dating the systems they are stored on.

AndyT

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:30 pm

Chris,

Sorry about the Driver Finder thingie. I hate those scamware things. Glad to see you realized what it was.

So, you are running the 32 bit version of Win. Hmmm.....

There is a fix, but it's a tad drastic and could cause mental instability so I think your best answer here is to go with an external A/D USB device. If you already have Mics, guitar pickups and the other goodies, you might look into this;
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... fx-regular
It might actually be overkill for you at this point, but I know from personal experience it makes it easy to get great sound. A friend has one. Now I just need to save up and get me one. LOL

Or, like others have posted, a small Tascam or something would work just as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic