Windows 7 recording volume problem

neverfoundthetime

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:53 am

Hi Guys. You may recall I reported on my Bad Day with my Dell laptop crashing after an automatic update mortally wounded it. Well 5 days later I managed to retrieve all data, wiped the computer clean, had Windows 7 installed (before it was Vista) re-installed all my programmes and everything was up and running good as new... almost.

When I try to record, the mic input volume is so low it almost doesn't show up on the levels... almost doesn't. What I now get is very low (way too low) recording levels whether I am using the inbuilt recording device, audacity or Adobe Audition... or whatever. A check through the web shows about 60'000 other people with a recording level problem with Windows 7. But I haven't found a solution on the forums I've checked so far. I've tried everything I could. No joy. Speaker volume is no problem.

This is really frustrating as I have been unable to record a guitar track for the TG Theme Tune project and basically cannot record anything at the moment. And being the stubborn type who tends not to give up (even when it would be wiser to do so) I keep plodding on, to no avail, as yet.

Is there anyone here with wisdom great enough to solve this bummer or offer any advice which may lead to a solution? Yes I have tried all the obvious stuff before asking!

:( :S

cosmicmechanic

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:51 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
... Yes I have tried all the obvious stuff before asking!
Hi Chris,

... well, one person's "obvious" may be another person's "technical" ... but that's obvious, isn't it.

Does the following help at all ? (Click on the image to enlarge it, obviously)

neverfoundthetime

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:07 am

Hi Pierre, thanks for answering. Yes, I spent a couple of hours in the control panels already and tried every possible setting but nothing worked. It seems to be a known problem if 60'000 Windows 7 users have had the same problem... only I didn't find the solution on their forum. Normally you eventually find something which works, but i didn't til now... maybe someone here has had and solved the problem.

wiley

Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:11 am

neverfoundthetime

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:44 am

Hi Wiley, thanks for responding. Yes I tried to update the drivers but I get the messages that my drivers already are up-to-date and functioning. They do function but the sound level for recordings is about 5% (if that) of max. Skype seems to function ok, but recoding for vocals or guitar just doesn't get enough input volume to yield any quality, I'd have to boost the recorded level which I can but then its full of hiss and fluff and low fidelity.

Daryl (very kindly) and I have been looking at since yesterday and we're flummoxed so far... but not giving up!

dennisg

Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:57 am

Chris,

Do you have the opportunity to try a different mic -- I mean, a different brand entirely?

neverfoundthetime

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:12 am

Yes, I have two, same thing. Inbuilt mic is the same too. I'm convinced its a Windows 7 issue ... possibly having to do with the way they have built the software to quieten music when it detects an in-coming communication. There's something in their programming which is dud. The thing which amazes me is that although it seems to be a well known problem, I can't find a solution or work around at Windows or on the forums. Thanks for responding!

dennisg wrote:
Chris,

Do you have the opportunity to try a different mic -- I mean, a different brand entirely?

dennisg

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:05 am

I feel for you, Chris, because I know how frustrating computer problems can be.

I have an idea that's something of a roundabout solution (or at least a bandage) to your problem: an external recording device. Your smart phone, an iPad, an iPod Touch, or even a simple digital recorder. All of them are capable of providing an audio track that you can then import into your PC's music-editing software.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:09 am

Hmm, Iphone to the rescue? I'll see what happens!
Thanks Dennis, I was so set on fixing the computer problem... I did wonder about using my Iphone and as I'm getting nowhere otherwise, I'll see if this is a work-around.

dennisg

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:22 am

Here's some info about a little Tascam mic that plugs into the dock connector of iPhones, iPads, etc. I've been using it with what I think are great results. You saw my video of Across the Universe -- that was recorded using my iPad with the Tascam mic picking up whatever was coming out of the speaker of my Roland amp.

http://tascam.com/product/im2w/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic