Windows 7 recording volume problem

neverfoundthetime

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:28 am

Thanks Dennis, that is a cool device and you can get them here for around $100.
So I know I can get back to reasonable recording if I buy one of those... but I don't want to be beaten by Windows7... I was so enjoying using my laptop for everything I do! And I liked the quality Adobe Audition was delivering on the recordings.

Chasplaya

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:55 pm

Chris its maybe how you are punching in the data....

neverfoundthetime

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Chas, There's some other way?! :laugh:

Well it gets curiouser and curiouser. The built-in mic stopped working (was working before) so I decided to see if I could fix that. It meant downloading and older Vista driver (Dell Inspiron 1525) as WIndows7 doesn't seem to have one!! WTF? That actually worked and now the volume levels are high enough and I have got stereo recording back... but the sound quality is crap (full of distortion) and the volume is too high... and I can't tone it down or effect the quality apart from whispering. So I can use skype but still not record properly. Back to square one. Basically it looks like MS have taken their eye off the ball on the sound system drivers and still haven't produced a solution.

The quest continues....

AndyT

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:31 am

Chris,

try this;
http://windows-exe-errors.com/fix-micro ... windows-7/
and if it's still not working, then let me know.

Windows 7 is a 32/64 bit OS and there are VERY few 64 bit drivers out there and the 32 bit versions have a problem with the audio codecs if running under 64 bit.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:59 am

Hi Andy, yes this link deals very specifically with the problem and I've tried just about everything.
It seems to me that Wondows7 just couldn't give a hoot. There appears to be no up-to-date drivers for Dell running on W7.

Lavallee

Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:09 am

What about reinstalling in Win 7 32 bits, the drivers would most likely works.

Marc

thereshopeyet

Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:22 am

Thanks

neverfoundthetime

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:26 am

Window is below Dermot... showing the record set-up... out put is no problem.
This is after installing an earlier version of the sigma driver. This now allows me to use the inbuilt mic but the sound is distorted, crap and too loud for recordings, ok for skype. And I now can't get the external mic to work through the jack... was working before but at massively reduced volume input.

Marc, the W7 drivers install themselves automatically... even if I uninstall them. Tried that.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:56 am

By the way its Windows7 32 bit I'm using.
Looked at all that info Andy and it was all stuff I'd tried.
One annoying thing there is that they recommend and try to get you to download a "free" programme like Driver Finder or Driver Boost which looks to find which drivers you have install that are out of date and then they offer you a simple click to udpdate that driver (but first register yourself "free"... but oh, to confirm your registration that will take a credit card or paypal and 30 dollars...), well F*** that! For a free driver. And how odd that the free driver udpate they recommend (in my case the Sigma Tel driver from 2008 to 2010 is not findable or available anywhere on the net except at their site. And I 'm using this down-graded driver because nothing else worked... but I thought the newest version may work better. Na.

And the sound control pannel gives you the option to search for updates anyway and when I do that for the Sigma Tel driver I get this.... so Driver Finder is just scamming IMHO.

thereshopeyet

Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:26 am

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic