question a baut recording (sound only)

willem

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:05 pm

What is the best way for recording your guitar or singin..an very dry room(no reflectings) or more an acoustic room(hard wall etc) ?

neverfoundthetime

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:10 pm

I like the room to give me a little echo Willem, so my large music room with wood roof and walls works well. But if I record in a friend's studio its got a lot of echo damping (echo prevention) and you can add echo and reverb later in the mix. This is better when mixing several different tracks.

daryl

Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:56 pm

Like Chris says......if you're not going to do any post processing then a room with natural echo would be best. That's why people used to record in their tiled bathrooms. But....if you're going to do post processing (on a DAW) it's best to have a "dry" "dead" room so you will have complete control in your DAW. Just my 2 cents.

willem

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:26 am

Chris and Daryl..its all clear now,,If i do a sort of life recording a bit echo is fine,,if I want to work in a studio way it must be ''dry'' or dead and set everything on the ,,zero'' or negative levels so you can edit the stuff..thx

wiley

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:14 am

Let's not get 'dry' and 'wet' signals confused with room acoustics.

Simply put, a 'dry' signal is one that is 'un-effected' or the 'input' before any effects have been added. A 'wet' signal is the 'effected' signal or the 'output' signal after effects have been included.

Room Acoustics deal largely with 'reflection' and 'absorbtion' where a certain amount of each in particular areas can be desirable. We can say a room with too little reflection is 'dead' and a room with too much is 'lively'.

Dead rooms are usually idea for recording while not so much for listening ergo the reasoning behind seperate rooms for a studio, the 'booth' which is caused (or built) to be dead, even as a seperate 'isolation' room and the control room where the room is designed for listening to playback and/or editing and mixing.

The dead and dry signal is desirable due to as others have said, a good engineer can add and then remove effects from the signal as desired.

Catman

Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:02 am

Excellent explanation!

wiley

Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:36 pm

dennisg

Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Willem,

I think a good place to start is to listen to some of the videos that are posted here on TG, then decide which ones you really like the sound on. You can contact whoever posted the video to ask about their recording setup.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic