Does anyone under 40 years old recognize this photo?

sbutler

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:14 pm

Funny the way Michell's mind works eh?

michelew

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:31 am

I was trying to work out where Dennis' mind was, which obviously led me down a less than innocent path. But, you may remember some of his more entertaining threads. Oh and have you looked at the picture. Combined with some understanding of the subjects that occupy a large portion of the contemplation time for the average male brain I think it's not a loooong bow.

But then... What would I know. :) :P

M.

Chasplaya

Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:06 am

Hmmm maybe only in America team, I was way off track in my thinking... Clean I might add but more in the kids toy area...

AndyT

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Had stacks of these. My brother went into the Army and left me his entire collection of Beatles 45's. Each one had one of these already mounted. When I went into the army a few years later, the entire collection was "stolen" along with all my collector editions of comic books by my mother who had no idea what it was all worth. Some low-life gave her $250 for all of it. I was so mad I couldn't talk to her for two days when I found out.

Chasplaya

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:47 am

dennisg wrote:
Haha. This has turned into an absolutely hilarious thread.

No, it's not a symbol of my male sexuality. There isn't enough bandwidth on this site to display that.

And no, it's not an I.U.D.

And no, it's not a symbol for a Seattle cult that displays our devotion to Taylor guitars. We let the headstock on our guitars do that.

Here's what it is: back in the 1960s, when 45 rpm records were really popular, these "singles" (as they were called in America) had a large hole punched into the center of them that was too large to fit properly on the record players of the day, record players that were designed to accommodate the small holes that were punched into the more-common 33 rpm records (known as LP's or albums in America). Rather than make a separate record player for the two types of records, the manufacturers produced little plastic inserts that fit into the large hole in a 45 rpm record that would adapt it to fit on the skinny spindle of a record player designed for LP's. I always wondered why they didn't just punch a smaller hole into 45's.

Here's how it was used:

Hmm that was actually quite boring answer, I preferred the others about a cult and things lol. We never had that same issue in UK as best I can recall. Maybe some Pommy
can refresh memories here?

Catman

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:53 am

Chasplaya wrote:
Hmm that was actually quite boring answer, I preferred the others about a cult and things lol. We never had that same issue in UK as best I can recall. Maybe some Pommy
can refresh memories here?
Pommy here! :) If I recall correctly through the fogs of time, 45's were usually sold with a small hole, but you could punch out the center with your fingers and convert it to a large hole. I definitely remember that our record player had a narrow spindle.

AndyT

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:04 am

My Dad had a really sweet 'turntable' which nobody was allowed to mess with. But our 'record player' was up for grabs. Dad's turntable had 4 interchangeable spindles that would fit either a 78 or a 45 and also hold a stack of either.

Memories.... Now it's pretty much CD's or USB sticks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic