Does anyone under 40 years old recognize this photo?

Chasplaya

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:49 am

michelew wrote:
Over 40 and no. But it appears to be a celebration of sexuality, male sexuality in particular. Knowing the author of this thread I'm guessing I'm on the right track.

Vinyl? or are we talking latex?

OK give us a hint. It might just be a US-centric thing.

Of course it could be some record labels emblem, or something equally as innocent.
Oh dear Michele, Michele you are way off track honey, (why did I say honey??/. purely as a mark of respect i assure you After thought)_ One of these things you write as you go you know

Chasplaya

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:51 am

I've seen these before but I've no freaking idea , put us out of our misery man lol

Chasplaya

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:52 am

And I'm a few yeqrs over 40 lol

tombo1230

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:13 am

michelew wrote:
Over 40 and no. But it appears to be a celebration of sexuality, male sexuality in particular. Knowing the author of this thread I'm guessing I'm on the right track.

Vinyl? or are we talking latex?

OK give us a hint. It might just be a US-centric thing.

Of course it could be some record labels emblem, or something equally as innocent.
Definately not latex. It wouldn't be robust enough Michelle and one kind or another of these were found everywhere. Yes they were innocent. ;)

We had them in the UK, so not US-centric. That's all I am saying. :)

Tom N.

pbraun

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:45 am

This is too funny, as a kid I was always searching for one.
Dennis better put an end to this!

daryl

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:05 am

When I couldn't find one to use, I just tried to center the damn thing and just listened to the slight wobble...(hint hint)

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:08 am

Searching memory banks... deep fog... strange scratching noises... repeating and repeating.... could be, couldn't it?... yes, I think so (wrong colour)... long tome, no see.... you should have said 45 or under Dennis! :)

suziko

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:03 am

I'm under 40 (barely!) and at first I had no idea what it was. But after reading the comments I, of course, figured it out. We owned something like that when I was a kid and I did use it regularly, since I did buy the things that you need that thing for (I even remember my first one!). But the one we had looked different. It looked like this:

dennisg

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:30 am

Haha. This has turned into an absolutely hilarious thread.

No, it's not a symbol of my male sexuality. There isn't enough bandwidth on this site to display that.

And no, it's not an I.U.D.

And no, it's not a symbol for a Seattle cult that displays our devotion to Taylor guitars. We let the headstock on our guitars do that.

Here's what it is: back in the 1960s, when 45 rpm records were really popular, these "singles" (as they were called in America) had a large hole punched into the center of them that was too large to fit properly on the record players of the day, record players that were designed to accommodate the small holes that were punched into the more-common 33 rpm records (known as LP's or albums in America). Rather than make a separate record player for the two types of records, the manufacturers produced little plastic inserts that fit into the large hole in a 45 rpm record that would adapt it to fit on the skinny spindle of a record player designed for LP's. I always wondered why they didn't just punch a smaller hole into 45's.

Here's how it was used:

lueders

Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:56 am

Hmmmm...record-size adjuster gizmos for record players I presume.

Cori (35)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic