RIP Bert Weedon

tombo1230

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:27 pm

The Man who inspired The Beatles, Eric Clapton and Queens Brian May, has sadly passed away aged 91 after a long illness.

Bert started playing guitar aged 12, he had a string of solo hits and accompanied stars including Cliff Richard, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Nat King Cole and Judy Garland. He was most renowned for his play in a day guitar tutor book.

Clapton said 'he would never have felt the urge to press on without the tips from Berts book'. Paul McCartney revealed that 'both he and George Harrison used Berts manuals and John Lennon began playing the guitar using Play in a day'.

This guy made a difference and inspired generations to play the guitar. R.I.P. Bert Weedon.

Tom N.

tovo

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:55 pm

That's a pretty influential dude! Can't say I have heard of Bert and 91 is a pretty solid life, but it is very good not to let these passings go unnoticed. Thanks Tom.

tombo1230

Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:38 pm

tovo wrote:
That's a pretty influential dude! Can't say I have heard of Bert and 91 is a pretty solid life, but it is very good not to let these passings go unnoticed. Thanks Tom.
Yes Tony very influential indeed. I got my first guitar when I was 12 and with it came a Bert Weeden instruction book. He was a London born guy, maybe not so well known outside the UK. I felt compelled to mention his passing as his influence has been so great over the years here in the UK.

Tom N.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:19 am

That is a name I'd heard before and connected to music, seems to have been exactly what you said Tom, a huge influence on guitar players early on.

tombo1230

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:20 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
That is a name I'd heard before and connected to music, seems to have been exactly what you said Tom, a huge influence on guitar players early on.
Yes Chris, he inspired my heroes to play and for that and everything else he did, I think we can all be gratefull.

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic