The best YouTube music video of all time? It's right here.

dennisg

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:32 pm

Remember back in the olden days when we used to have threads like this, where we nominated our favorite things. Let's roll back the clock to the days of yore and nominate our favorite YouTube video. It can be a video of anything. The only guideline is that the video should be focused on music. That means it can be a video of people playing music, talking about music, making the instruments that make music, or something else that I haven't thought of.

The following video seems to be one I keep coming back to every few months since I first saw it years ago. I love the driving music, the humor, and the visuals. But mostly I'd give anything to be on stage as one of the guitarists. Here's the Blue Man Group playing with an Inde band called Venus Hum. Enjoy. Then post your favorite vid.

jaslu81

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:47 pm

Nice. Here's a contender though it is pretty quiet in the beginning so you'll need to listen closely.

[video][/video]

reiver

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:50 pm

OK, I'm game. This may not be my all time favourite...........but it's up there, and your post reminded me of it, Dennis. I't the RHCPs covering the same song - without a hint of irony. Love the bass playing and John Frusciante can sure hit some notes.

tovo

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:14 pm

Well that first vid is pretty funky for sure. This is currently my favourite clip on Youtube. What a loss.

dburns99

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:20 pm

Oh man....Frusciante has got to be one of the coolest...

Here's my favorite. Frusciante covering the Bee Gees. Love the little bit where he screws up.

jimcjimc

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Playing for Change - Stand by Me - Song Around the World

daryl

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:55 pm

The "greatest of all time" is too hard to deal with. But here are a few of my "wow" YouTube videos.....

A great concert show (especially after the 3:20 minute mark).....

Pretty cool what 2 people can do......

Or even 1 guy can do....

tovo

Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:58 pm

dburns99 wrote:
Love the little bit where he screws up.
That was indeed pretty cool. I liked the interaction with Anthony and the unaffected way they just got on with it. RHCP always strike me as pretty grounded. (In terms of their ability not to take themselves too seriously).

dburns99

Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:11 pm

tovo wrote:
dburns99 wrote:
Love the little bit where he screws up.
That was indeed pretty cool. I liked the interaction with Anthony and the unaffected way they just got on with it. RHCP always strike me as pretty grounded. (In terms of their ability not to take themselves too seriously).
I knowwww right? I think they're one of the tightest bands I've ever heard. I miss Frusciante as a Pepper. Josh is good....but no Frusciante

cosmicmechanic

Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:56 pm

Here's some John Lennon: There are lots of videos of Lennon where he is obviously anxious and/or strung out.

What I love about these two videos is that he seems really together and fit.

I am surprised how rare it is to see him actually playing a guitar, apart from the early Beatles concert videos ... there's a precious bit of that here.

So, here are two videos from the BBC show "The Old Grey Whistle Test":

The first has a nice intro by the show's host ... some interesting context and then "Stand by Me"
There's a whole interview that was done for this show (which I didn't link here) where John mentions that he couldn't leave the US because the government wanted to deport him. So around 5min30sec into the video, he sends a wink to his son in England, saying: "Hello Julian".

Lastly, a rocking John Lennon ! (My real favorite)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic