Beatles footage you've probably never seen

neverfoundthetime

Sat May 05, 2012 5:27 am

Yes sir! Thanks for posting these golden oldies. The live quality and energy of their playing is just fab. Just compare the size and number of speakers at a concert today with the couple of amps and boxes they produced all that magic on. And its George's riffs that really come through here for me.

Regarding the cutting room floor, Daryl, in their early days, the Moodies were driving down the M1 when (I think it was) Nights in White Satin came on the radio for the very first time (they had played it for a BBC show but it was not recorded yet) and they suddenly realised it was really good. They asked the Beeb for the tape... and were told it had been wiped after the show aired! They were devastated as they did not think they could record it as good as that again. And the Beeb obviously regarded their magnetic tapes to be more valuable than anything captured on it!

Chasplaya

Sun May 06, 2012 5:07 am

dennisg wrote:
daryl wrote:
Dennis, here's another complete concert for you. Too bad some of the film was left on the cutting room floor....at least the quality audio survived.....

I finally got a chance to watch this. Fabulous concert, Daryl. The more I see them live, the more I appreciate what a fine bass player Paul was. Thanks so much for posting this.

Why do you suppose there was an extra drum kit on stage?
During the initial Melbourne concerts Jimmy Nicol replaced Ringo as Ringo was very ill. Ringo returned part way through it may have been Jimmy's kit. The concert also shared venue with another TV programme of Australian performers. Incidentally the Beatles did two concerts per day in Melbourne with approx 45,000 at each!. Also another bit of trivia The Beatles Adelaide concert attract 500,000 people to greet them on arrival , the largest crowd ever to just watch an arrival of a band. Just goes to show Aussies have too much time on their hands lol.

daryl

Mon May 14, 2012 8:41 am

Another full concert. This one in 1966. Of note is an electric "Yesterday" with drums, no strings, and no acoustic guitar. Again a full concert in less than 30 minutes. Lots of mistakes in this concert.....

dennisg

Mon May 14, 2012 1:16 pm

Man, we're those mics possessed by Satan or something? The boys were pretty sloppy by then, but still great to see them play after they'd become jaded and cynical.

daryl

Thu May 17, 2012 6:39 am

Another one for you Dennis. Not really "footage" but stuff you may not have heard before.

These are basically live performances in the studio. Amazingly good. They nailed "I Saw Here Standing There" in the 1st take. Check out the heavy echo around the 11:00 minute mark. And notice the backing vocals in the 1st verse of take 7 of "Do You Want to Know a Secret" as compared to take 8 (without the backing vocals). Great stuff (IMHO).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic