Beatles footage you've probably never seen

dennisg

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:48 pm

I'd always seen short clips of the Fab Four playing various concerts, but I'd never seen a concert from beginning to end -- until now. Here's the Beatles in their Washington D.C. concert in February, 1964. Some things that stand out:

- The boys played a theater in the round, so they periodically moved their own equipment around on stage so that they'd face different parts of the audience

- Concerts in those days were amazingly short; this one is about 40 minutes long

- I never get tired of seeing footage of teenage girls bringing themselves to ... well, whatever teenage girls bring themselves to when they see the Beatles

- Amazing how well-mannered the audience is in their little poodle skirts and beehive hairdo's. No mosh pits or slam dancing

- How frustrating it was listening to that miserly audio technician continually turn the volume down on their mics as if he, and he alone, were responsible for paying the electric bill

- Say what you want about how far music and technology have come in the 48 years since this concert was performed, but the Beatles were just great.

Now, on with the concert:

http://guitarsquid.com/posts/lost-foota ... tary/9484/

daryl

Tue May 01, 2012 1:01 pm

Thank you Dennis! I have seen all the clips of all the Washington Coliseum songs over the years, but I have never seen them all in sequence. That was fabulous!

A few comments.....Ringo sure had a workout that day. I never realized that Lennon played a lead solo in Long Tall Sally. I'm surprised their guitar and mic cables didn't end up in knots. And lastly, it sure was obvious that they all LOVED the music they were playing.

daryl

Wed May 02, 2012 10:29 am

Dennis, here's another complete concert for you. Too bad some of the film was left on the cutting room floor....at least the quality audio survived.....

tovo

Wed May 02, 2012 11:18 pm

Brilliant, I so enjoyed that. Thanks for posting it.

willem

Thu May 03, 2012 2:06 am

I am glad I put some time to look and listen to this show,,thank you Dennis..

Willem

Chasplaya

Thu May 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Thanks for putting this up Dennis, I am currently downloading this as I type great video, loved the comment making a record... that's an Album here in US or something like that and Ringo getting hi location wrong what a hoot! This maybe even belong in Tony's(?) best You Tube music video thread...

daryl

Fri May 04, 2012 6:25 am

One more for you Dennis. This may very well be the earliest video of the Beatles playing live.....

coclimber

Fri May 04, 2012 11:03 am

Watched this late last night, great! So fun, and funny in parts. They certainly looked to be having fun -- great musicians.

dennisg

Fri May 04, 2012 11:38 am

daryl wrote:
Dennis, here's another complete concert for you. Too bad some of the film was left on the cutting room floor....at least the quality audio survived.....

I finally got a chance to watch this. Fabulous concert, Daryl. The more I see them live, the more I appreciate what a fine bass player Paul was. Thanks so much for posting this.

Why do you suppose there was an extra drum kit on stage?

daryl

Fri May 04, 2012 12:41 pm

Regarding the extra drum kit on stage.....I expect it's from one of the opening acts.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic