Would you take a guitar lesson from James Taylor?

dennisg

Sat May 19, 2012 10:52 am

dtaylor

Sat May 19, 2012 11:08 am

Very cool Dennis, thanks for the link.
Not quite a rival for Neil's expertise but interesting to see the funky fingerings up close.

willem

Sat May 19, 2012 1:46 pm

I did'nt needed the the link and and its really fun the watch all those angulars.. teaching is really a kinda blood..

neverfoundthetime

Sat May 19, 2012 3:29 pm

My take on what I saw at Jame's website is that it is very well filmed but he hasn't the faintest idea about teaching.

sbutler

Sat May 19, 2012 7:40 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
My take on what I saw at Jame's website is that it is very well filmed but he hasn't the faintest idea about teaching.
I'll have to agree with Chris on this one. I'll stick with the teacher I got.

But one thing that I've felt, over the years of watching JT, in any candid moment, is that he is a real, common as dirt, kinda guy. A real class act.

Scott

millponddave

Sat May 19, 2012 8:06 pm

Interesting video, but Everything that I need to reach my goals is right here on TG. I don't believe that Neil's teaching style and overall knowledge can be beat. I'm here to stay !!

Dave

cosmicmechanic

Sat May 19, 2012 8:58 pm

The presentation gave me a sensation for a while of being in a gyroscope, not knowing what is up or down.

When I finally got my bearings, I thought that maybe having a bug's-eye view (hidden inside JT's guitar) could have some limited use, at least initially.
Any help is good help, I guess.

Having said that, the real world does not work that way, which reminds me of Neil answering a request for adding an "above-fretting-hand" video angle in his lessons.
That would be something like a view from the player's shoulder.

To paraphrase an important part of his answer: When you practice looking at someone in front of you and understanding what he's playing without
camera angle gimmicks, then you are on your way to being a better and more well-rounded guitarist.

Anyway, very interesting link !

Pierre

familyman4

Sat May 19, 2012 10:51 pm

1st - Thank you for the link! What a real pleasure to watch & enjoy...

2nd - I have been a JT fan all of my life, have attempted to play many of his songs and attended several of his concerts. Including last year with Carrol King. Awesome birthday present from my lovely bride :)

3rd - I really enjoyed watching his fingerings on the notes and better understand how he can get around the fret board with such ease.

With all of this being said, these types of postings are great to admire an ICON and a hero of many of our generation. However, teaching a few internet lessons, or actually showing us some of his secrets will never replace the total commitment of a true teaching instructor like Neil. I am not even a target member yet, but will be soon, and I can appreciate Neil's passion, drive and total joy in teaching. Neil can teach in the styles of JT, break down a piano song of Billy Joel, teach the styles of Chet & Merle, country pick'n like Willie, pick out the sweet tones of the Beatles, Allman Brothers, Bob Dylan etc.etc. It takes real tallent to be able to teach in all of these various styles.

So, while I will always be a huge fan of James Taylor & truely appreciate the link to watch one of my hero's, I believe that teaching is an artform all of it's own and the instructor at Totally Guitars is the best! Thanks Neil....

Looking forward to the wonderful world of Totally Guitars for many years to come. You folks are awesome....
Bart

neverfoundthetime

Wed May 23, 2012 6:47 am

Looking forward to the wonderful world of Totally Guitars for many years to come. You folks are awesome....
Bart
Its great to have you along for the ride Bart!

Pierre, on the camera angle: I'm betting that most if not all of us got really good at watching someone else play and copied their fingering just sitting opposite and watching and silently translating the moves. As you never look over anyone's shoulder when they are playing in real life, we'd probably take more time to adjust to an over the shoulder angle than what we have already. The Taylor inside-the-guitar video is a bit of brain twister at first but I do like to see what is really happening on physical techniques... interesting here is that you can see the finger nails plucking (I use the pads of my fingers) but the thumb nail does not play the string... its the side of the thumb, the flesh coming into play... so why do we stress ourselves growing that thumb nai?! :dry:

Anyone actually hitting the strings with their thumb nail?

thereshopeyet

Wed May 23, 2012 6:59 pm

James Taylor is an amazing guitarist.
Great Video

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic