I could care less

suziko

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:22 am

Good topic, Tony! Yes, like everyone said, it's just lazy speech.

Related to Scott's last post, I just had a funny exchange this morning with my sister, who is visiting from New York (which is where I am from) and my native Midwestern husband. We had just finished breakfast and I asked my sister if she was going to go "get around." She said, sure, she'll go get around now, and then we can go out. My husband then asked, "What are you guys talking about? What do you mean by 'Get around??'" We looked at him, dumbfounded, and said, "Well, you know. Get ready. Get dressed, shower, etc." He said, "Oh, I've never heard anyone say that to mean 'get ready!'" The phrase seemed so normal to me- and I can't believe that after 13 years of marriage that I could still confuse him with some (apparently) East coast term!

:)

Suzi

tovo

Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:42 pm

suziko wrote:
Good topic, Tony! Yes, like everyone said, it's just lazy speech.

Related to Scott's last post, I just had a funny exchange this morning with my sister, who is visiting from New York (which is where I am from) and my native Midwestern husband. We had just finished breakfast and I asked my sister if she was going to go "get around." She said, sure, she'll go get around now, and then we can go out. My husband then asked, "What are you guys talking about? What do you mean by 'Get around??'" We looked at him, dumbfounded, and said, "Well, you know. Get ready. Get dressed, shower, etc." He said, "Oh, I've never heard anyone say that to mean 'get ready!'" The phrase seemed so normal to me- and I can't believe that after 13 years of marriage that I could still confuse him with some (apparently) East coast term!

:)

Suzi
Down here Sue, a girl who "gets around" is one who may have a questionable reputation. As in "That girl over there, she gets around a bit!".

Another one I will need to remember for next time I visit (particularly the East Coast!) :)

thereshopeyet

Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:10 pm

Suzi Wrote:
and I can't believe that after 13 years of marriage that I could still confuse him
Ah Suzi... your a woman.... you'll always confuse him!!!

:laugh: :laugh:

:ohmy:

thereshopeyet

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Thanks.

dennisg

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:56 pm

I notice every misspelling, poor use of grammar, fractured syntax, and loopy punctuation. None of it really bothers me. The thing that drives me nuts is affectation -- that is, the tendency of someone to contrive to appear smarter or more cultured than they really are. And what I've noticed is that affectations seem to run in waves. For example, in the current effort to sound more British (therefore, more cultured), many Americans have taken to using the word AMONGST instead of AMONG. Or pronouncing a hard T in the word OFTEN. Or (and this one absolutely slays me) the abuse of the word MYSELF, as in "John and myself played the guitar today." I hear that last one more and more, pretty much every time I turn on the news and watch someone being interviewed. It's rampant in professional sports interviews, an environment where almost everyone wants to avoid looking like a dumb jock. Ah, the irony.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:48 am

Ha! Speaking as a dumb British Jock... I hope I come over thick as brick (my ego and I) as intended :woohoo:
No comments or"Likes" necessary! :woohoo:

In defence of chronic miss-spellers like me myself I, it has taken me all my life (plus the help of digital spell checkers) to be able to spell correctly in English although in German I could do that from day 1. English is a really challenging (and fabulous) language.

Pretentious is an interesting concept Den. My older sister didn't like the Moody Blues and to this day claims they were pretentious. I'm thinking: If one of the all time great bands can be called pretentious... what do you call the legions who don't measure up?!! I guess she just didn't like Ray Thomas' or Mike Pinder's poetry much.

dennisg wrote:
I notice every misspelling, poor use of grammar, fractured syntax, and loopy punctuation. None of it really bothers me. The thing that drives me nuts is affectation -- that is, the tendency of someone to contrive to appear smarter or more cultured than they really are. And what I've noticed is that affectations seem to run in waves. For example, in the current effort to sound more British (therefore, more cultured), many Americans have taken to using the word AMONGST instead of AMONG. Or pronouncing a hard T in the word OFTEN. Or (and this one absolutely slays me) the abuse of the word MYSELF, as in "John and myself played the guitar today." I hear that last one more and more, pretty much every time I turn on the news and watch someone being interviewed. It's rampant in professional sports interviews, an environment where almost everyone wants to avoid looking like a dumb jock. Ah, the irony.

kelemenj

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:37 am

I guess I am just used to hearing that phrase' Another one that annoys me is "Not for nothing".
John

thereshopeyet

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:48 am

:laugh:

dennisg

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:11 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:

In defence of chronic miss-spellers like me myself I, it has taken me all my life (plus the help of digital spell checkers) to be able to spell correctly in English although in German I could do that from day 1. English is a really challenging (and fabulous) language.

Pretentious is an interesting concept Den. My older sister didn't like the Moody Blues and to this day claims they were pretentious. I'm thinking: If one of the all time great bands can be called pretentious... what do you call the legions who don't measure up?!! I guess she just didn't like Ray Thomas' or Mike Pinder's poetry much.
I don't typically point out people's poor spelling, grammar, or punctuation because 1) it doesn't bother me; and 2) people do the best they can with language, just as they do the best they can on the guitar.

Although I was a big fan of the Moodies, I can totally understand why some people would think of them as pretentious. I often found their music and lyrics to be bombastic -- but that doesn't mean I didn't like it and didn't spend hours, stoned on the floor with a girlfriend, trying to figure out what it all meant. Pretentiousness and likability aren't always mutually exclusive. In fact, it's because the music of the Moodies was so damned good and their lyrics so interesting that I could put up with the pretentiousness of it all. Lesser groups, uh uh.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Its because the music of the Moodies was so damned good and their lyrics so interesting that I could put up with the pretentiousness of it all.
Hmmm, that's why I don't get the pretentious bit. They were genuinely cutting-edge, creative and combining a classical music education (Pinder and Thomas) with rock-pop drive (Hayward was a teenage writer of original material... imagine writing Nights in White Satin at 18!). I couldn't see what was ostentatious, pompous, highfalutin or overambitious about their stuff. I just thought they were damned good, there was nothing undeserved or over-done IMHO. But the line up in frilly shirts Tony objected to many threads back did look a bit naff! ;-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic