I could care less

dennisg

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:19 pm

It's because of things like the poetry and thunder-of-god kettle drums that have a tendency to make rock music sound a little self-important. Keep in mind that I'm saying that I really loved the Moodies -- because of their great melodies and provocative lyrics. But put the poetry and symphonic instrumentation in the hands of a lesser band, and I think it would just sound ridiculous -- as it actually did for the bands who tried to copy the Moodies' formula and discovered that it's not the arrangements that made the Moodies successful, it was the great songs behind the arrangements.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:22 pm

I hear you Den.

dennisg wrote:
It's because of things like the poetry and thunder-of-god kettle drums that have a tendency to make rock music sound a little self-important. Keep in mind that I'm saying that I really loved the Moodies -- because of their great melodies and provocative lyrics. But put the poetry and symphonic instrumentation in the hands of a lesser band, and I think it would just sound ridiculous -- as it actually did for the bands who tried to copy the Moodies' formula and discovered that it's not the arrangements that made the Moodies successful, it was the great songs behind the arrangements.

tovo

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:09 pm

On behalf of myself I would like to thanks participants in this thread. Those who could care less...please feel free to do so. Those who think the Moody Blues are pretentious twats please mail Chris for more detail. Those who want to hear more about Dennis' exploits on the floor, stoned with his girfriend, say I. Those against say Nay. Shel, I'd also like somethink from you on the subject.

michelew

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:48 pm

tovo wrote:
Those who want to hear more about Dennis' exploits on the floor, stoned with his girfriend, say I. Those against say Nay. Shel, I'd also like somethink from you on the subject.
Haha! You know... In that context 'somethink' almost works, as in 'I'd like you to do some thinking on the subject.'

Re: the comparison of pretentious - use you own anatomy. ;)

And re: Den, I say be careful what you wish for. :)

tovo

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:26 pm

michelew wrote:
Re: the comparison of pretentious - use you own anatomy. ;)
it took me a while........but I got there. ;)

thereshopeyet

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:59 pm

Tovo Wrote:
it took me a while........but I got there.
:ohmy:

lueders

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:25 pm

Tony, I would like to submit another example of badly garbled syntax to the list.
It is probably not quite as ridiculous and irksome as "I could care less." (but it's up there in my book)

Irregardless? When folks use irregardless interchangeably with "regardless."
We're already "without regard" no need for the strange prefix. Am I right?

michelew

Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Cori,

I've never heard ir-regardless before now. And I'm glad about that. Yep! That would be very grating and confusing. Does the double negative similarly mean that the person really is having regard? Strange.

It's been nice seeing you around the forum a little lately. I've missed your enthusiastic, thought provoking and entertaining posts. Are you playing at the moment? Will we be seeing an upload any time soon? :)

Shel

tovo

Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Hey Cori. Yeah I have heard irregardless.

I think the opinion Den offered on the subject was pretty instructive. Although certain 'language failings' do drive me to despair, it is also very easy to become self righteous on the subject. I do like to follow comments on news stories in my favourite newspaper, and always think that when people resort to correcting grammar instead of addressing the issue that they appear both disingenuous and petty. On the other hand, I am often distracted from an excellent point by really poor spelling and grammar.

In the end, I think that good grammar and spelling simply isn't as high a priority as it once was. I tend to see that as a negative, but perhaps I should just chill out and concentrate more on what the person is saying rather than how they say it.

dennisg

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:02 pm

I saw a T-shirt recently that said: Misuse of the word "literally" drives me figuratively insane. A lot of people have come to believe that "literally" is a synonym for "very."

I don't know. I'm either blessed or cursed (depending on how you look at it) with the ability to spot every conceivable mistake in someone's written text or spoken word. You can be sure that reading forum posts keeps that part of my brain very busy. I've noticed in the Taylor forum how often people pluralize the word Taylor or Martin by adding an apostrophe to it ... such as, I have three Taylor's. First, I want to ask them if they add an apostrophe to ALL words they pluralize (we own two car's), then I want to punch them for bragging about their guitar collection.

Really, though, if I got bent out of shape about every mistake I saw, I'd go figuratively insane. So I just chalk it up to the fact that getting it right isn't as important to everyone as it is to me, which is totally fine. I'm far more interested in the content of a person's (note the correct usage of the apostrophe!) communication than I am in the precision of the delivery.

Now, some of my writer friends ...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic