I could care less

tovo

Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:46 pm

I really want to ask....why do you guys in the States say "I could care less"?? We say "I couldn't care less" meaning "I couldn't care less about that if I tried". Whereas in the States you say "I could care less" (about that). I don't get that. Anyone?? I'm just interested to see if anyone knows, not taking a shot a anyone.

haoli25

Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:08 pm

Tony, I don't think I have heard anyone say, "I could care less", but it doesn't surprise me that some might use it. :) :) I will say that if you are looking for rhyme or reason in American-ese, you are in for a loooooong search. :laugh: :laugh:

Bill

TGNeil

Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:11 pm

I have definitely heard people say 'I could care less' and I cringe every time. It stains my honorary grammar police badge.

Neil

jimcjimc

Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:58 pm

tovo wrote:
I really want to ask....why do you guys in the States say "I could care less"?? We say "I couldn't care less" meaning "I couldn't care less about that if I tried". Whereas in the States you say "I could care less" (about that). I don't get that. Anyone?? I'm just interested to see if anyone knows, not taking a shot a anyone.
Good one, Tony! Why - people don't pay attention to what they say. I guess. This phrase is used all of the time. The most recent that was in the news and got a lot of press was the NJ Governor Chis Christie:
Chris Christie Says He 'Could Care Less' About Presidential Election

The actual quote was: "I have no idea, nor am I the least bit concerned or interested," Christie said. "I have got a job to do here in New Jersey that is much bigger than presidential politics. And I could care less about any of that stuff."

He clearly meant to say the opposite.

One theory on this I saw once was for a while, there was a similar, shorter phrase that people used to say, sarcastically: "I Could Care"

Then, perhaps people combined that into I Could Care Less.

BigBear

Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Tony- there are a couple of possible reasons we Yanks say this.

First, it means that, in fact, we could care less about whatever the subject is but in this case we don't (care less).

Or, when the English gave us a perfectly usable language to use, we Americans butchered it with slang, jargon, and grammatical errors to the point even we don't recognize it most of time!!

Either way, it's just one of so many ways we've twisted the language to our own uses and really screwed it up!!!!

Crikey!!! :lol:

wiley

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:00 pm

tombo1230

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:08 pm

wiley wrote:
Well, I once had this British fellow explain he found a particular subject "Interesting" which, as it was later explained to me, was the same as "He could(n't) care less)"!!
I have used this on occassion. It's all in the delivery and it means the opposite to what you are in fact saying. You have to sound unconvincing. ;) :blink:

Tom N.

heyjoe

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi Tony

Interesting point as always,

try googling "i could care less origin" and have a read of some of the replies, seems as though most sites agree with you, it makes no sense at all.

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/co ... -less.aspx

This site seems to have explained it well, and looks like a good site for those of us who are grammar n.....oops, sorry, in the grammar police :P

Joe

Music Junkie

Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:26 pm

Like anything else, I think it probably stems from a loose use of the phrase, and has just been accepted. Like Neil, I cringe when I hear it. Same as when I hear folks add an "r" to words like Washington.... Different dialects and basic laziness lead to a lot of strange happenings in this land.... ;)

thereshopeyet

Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:08 pm

:laugh: :laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic