Guess who played the guitar solo on Michael Jackson's "Beat It"

dennisg

Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:38 pm

Listen for the blazing guitar solo in the middle of the song.

Music Junkie

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Dennis:

I had heard that back then, and thought it was funny. Eddie (rocker) joins up with Michael (pop star)....

I remember those days fondly, when all over the rough streets of the USA, gangs used to meet in secret warehouses and have a big giant dance off.....not....

What a huge hit back then. Love him or hate him, Mr. Jackson had some talent.... B)

dennisg

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:15 pm

If you watch Eddie's video, it sounds like he was just as confused as the rest of us that he was appearing on a Michael Jackson record.

MJ was definitely an unusual guy, but what a freaking monster talent.

When I watch the video for Beat It, it takes me back even further, to West Side Story.

unclewalt

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:29 pm

I'm slightly confused. It was Eddie on the record, which was quite well known at the time. I guess I don't get the "Wrong" in the second post....?

dtaylor

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:32 pm

unclewalt wrote:
I'm slightly confused. It was Eddie on the record, which was quite well known at the time. I guess I don't get the "Wrong" in the second post....?
Reference to the article, a quote from Van Halen.

suziko

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:22 pm

I'm confused too. I always thought it was EVH who did the solo.

dennisg

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:45 pm

I could have made that more clear. The "wrong" was meant to be a joke that, if you don't know who played the solo, and you guess anyone other than EvH, you're wrong. Hilarious, eh?

I've been listening to the song for years, and I had no idea it was him.

Music Junkie

Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:10 pm

dennisg wrote:
I could have made that more clear. The "wrong" was meant to be a joke that, if you don't know who played the solo, and you guess anyone other than EvH, you're wrong. Hilarious, eh?

I've been listening to the song for years, and I had no idea it was him.
I got that out of your post, it must be my dry sense of humor at work today.... ;)

unclewalt

Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:08 pm

Ah, I see. I thought it was common knowledge, since there was so much press about it at the time. But I guess I shouldn't assume.

Funny, even some of my friends (definitely including me) liked that album, and we were all a bunch of 20-year-old hard-rock mooks on the Southwest Side of Chicago. Some of my other friends, Halen or no Halen, thought those of us who liked it were crazy (or, you know, something offensive), but c'mon. I don't think any of us actually purchased it at the time, though. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic