Zürich's smallest Guitar shop

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi Guys,
here's a little Christmas post card from Zürich this 23rd of December 2012. Normally I avoid the city like the plague during the pre-Christmas mayhem but this time there's no trip to Canada where Christmas with all its presents and festive meals just seems to happen while I sit back in a comfy armchair at my sisters'... and occasionally the local TG Canucks are invited over for a jam, as last year. The scenes of mayhem and plunder down town in the department stores are far too gory to tell here and in an attempt to avoid the worst I visited a corner tobacconist in one of the out-side quarters where Rolf Suss (not Dr.) sent me an sms invite to his Christmas sale. Rolf calls his little music shop business BluesLee... you gotta love it! Anyway, it has to be the tiniest guitar shop in the whole of CH (Confederation Helvetica), or to you'll, Switzerland. Its just a iPhone cameo moment as I arrive looking for a guitar stand and Gig-bag for Alessandra (who has taken to playing more and more).

The store (its a tobacconists, or Kiosk, as its called here) is tiny and already full with 5 customers and Rolf and his mum (who runs the Kiosk) serving. The languages you hear are Swiss and Italian and the guy who crosses the camera at the end is a worker who has popped in for a take-away coffee! Rolf basically sells price- friendly guitars between FR. 250.00 and Fr. 900.00 (read Dollars for Franks) which mostly come from Canada: Normans and Godin's including Simon & Patrick (Godin's sons) and the like... they know Robert Godin personally. Rolf's mum at the counter is lovely and so kind and friendly. Rolf struggles to remember my name each visit but its still my kind of cool to walk in there any time. The guy on the resonator was really getting down after a while too. Enjoy the snap shot!

willem

Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Thats for sure the funniest guitar store I'v seen,,maybe its something from the 70 ties,,smoking and guitars,,,

Happy holidays Chris and Alessandra.. Image

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:01 pm

Thanks Willem, I will pass on your greetings to Alessandra. :)

dennisg

Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:23 pm

Yes, I'd like a pack of Marlboros, some of that gum there and ... what the heck, throw in a Martin HD35, too.

tovo

Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:19 pm

I love these types of stores. So much nicer than the big chains. We have discussed before how much people are willing to pay to keep people like this in business, so I was really interested in your comment about price friendly Chris. I took it from your comment he only sells low end instruments?

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:57 pm

...no Martins Dennis, too high brow! Just low - middle end Tony but I must say, some of the Normans sound really good, these Canadian woods deliver great sound as I'm noticing with Alessandra's Seagull. He has a lot of good deals, that's for sure.

cosmicmechanic

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:48 pm

Yes, tobacco ... you can fill a whole shop with accessories for using it B)

Very interesting snapshot, there. I agree with Willem, very 70's.

As to Canadian woods, a bit of a coincidence ...
I had some waiting to do while at a mall today, wandered into a music store, tried a bunch of guitars,
and it was a Simon and Patrick that really cuddled up to me, I suddenly felt like I was in a pet shop.
The guitar is in their "Natural Elements" line, could very well be for sale at the "Kiosk" you show here.
Cherry back and sides, with cedar top ... a weightless guitar, with very round sound.
Hmmm ...

Catman

Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:19 am

How did I manage to miss that during the half day I spent in Zurich?

Interesting marketing concept!

-David

neverfoundthetime

Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:00 am

Nice to hear you having some petting time with nice guitars Pierre... I've tried a few S&P by now and they are not bad at all. I must admit though, I like my guitars to have some weight to them, there's something about that solid feel that makes it all more, er, solid. :-)

David, you have to be a little more attentive next time in Züri! ;-)

Wow, 11 hours since the last post on TG... everyone must be wrapping presents!

sbutler

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:13 am

Chris, you were in there on the 23rd and you didn't get me a birthday gift. Man, I feel let down. :(
Otherwise, a very neat little store. Looks like one would be hard pressed to be able to grab one and play it, while another is doing the same though. Lots of back-side poking going on I would think. ;)

I've been gone for a while, so maybe I missed it, but are we going to see a video of your lovely daughter playing that Seagull ????? :cheer:

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic