Anyone else experiencing lessons crashing their computer?

neverfoundthetime

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:08 am

Hi Guys, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing a computer crash when playing the lessons. Don McClean's Castles in the Air just crashed my laptop and its not the first time this has happened. I'm using a 4 year old Dell Inspiron and Firefox with everything updated and in working order... but i f you have a Dell you will know that it can also be used as a heat er on cold day (or a warm day!) as it tends to over-heat and then close down. I can watch an hour long YT video without this happening but 6 mins of a TG lesson will close it down fast. I have also experienced crashes when converting videos so its obviously a case of high out-put and overload. I know, I need a new laptop! Just not sure why the crash happens so fast on the lessons. Anyone else experiencing a crash or two when playing lessons?

daryl

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:51 am

I had an older eMachine laptop once that would shutdown/poweroff randomly. It didn't "crash" as in freeze-up or display the blue screen of death, it just powered off because the cpu overheated. It turned out that the heat-sink on the cpu on that particular laptop model was woefully inadequate, and that the cooling fan blades and duct work got gummed up with gunk and wasn't "blowing enough air". I was able to take the laptop apart (not an easy job) and clean the fan blades and ducts. I also lifted the laptop up off the desk a bit to help with airflow.

They also make cooling fans that sit under laptops:

That may or may not be your problem.....

neverfoundthetime

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:11 am

Hi Daryl, yes you are right its a shut down job not a blue-screen-of-death incident ... but that also did happen this year and amazingly, the laptop was saved by rescuing all the programmes and content and reloading with Windows 7 instead of the Vista it was running on. So been there and got the T-shirt. Yes I'm lifting up to allow better circulation and I've checked for gunk best I can.... not stripping the thing down though as that would really be the end. I am just wondering why the lessons are more of a problem than a YT video.

Lavallee

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:25 am

HI Chris, Have you tried to run the lessons in low res as offered in the lesson instead of high definition? Also are you keeping adobe flash up to date? I had issues when my version of Flash was maybe out of date with the site (it is only a suggestion as after updating it, it was OK (no more freezing during the lesson).

Marc

tombo1230

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:31 am

Hi Chris, have you tried a different browser, like Chrome for instance? This would be worth a check. I have had problems in the past with FireFox on this site, but ok at present, as I have disabled a lot of it. This is where I would start. As Marc has said, check your Flash is up to date.

Tom N.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:27 pm

Thanks Mark and Tom... I'll check my flash (no giggling in the cheap seats please) and see if Chrome is any good...

thereshopeyet

Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:50 pm

Thanks.

tacticaltal

Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:34 pm

I don't mean to hijack your thread, Chris, but Firefox and Flash came up, and therein lies MY problems. I can't get any TG videos to play decently in FF 17. I have to use a slow browsing IE8 in order to watch them. It's frustrating because IE is so slow in opening pages. I've even downgraded to earlier versions of Flash - and that worked until they would periodically update on their own.

Anyhow, what's everyone using these days for their machines?

I'm still using XP.

~terry

willem

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:17 pm

tacticaltal wrote:
I don't mean to hijack your thread, Chris, but Firefox and Flash came up, and therein lies MY problems. I can't get any TG videos to play decently in FF 17. I have to use a slow browsing IE8 in order to watch them. It's frustrating because IE is so slow in opening pages. I've even downgraded to earlier versions of Flash - and that worked until they would periodically update on their own.

Anyhow, what's everyone using these days for their machines?

I'm still using XP.

~terry

Hi Terry,,I use IE from a year back,,my laptop is a almost modern one,,,I use the latest windows,not the new one..I don't have isues,everything runs smoothly..

Is it maybe your provider?

Chris everything alright on this side,, I guess a new computer will do it,,

Willem

thereshopeyet

Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic