Scary Guitar Stories

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:54 pm

Guitar stories from the crypt. Maybe you have one?

We all saw the United Broke My Taylor Guitar story a couple of years back and I did mention at the time that British Airways lost my brand new 12 string for 3 days before driving it out to me where I was staying in Death Valley or Yosemite (time fogs the story) at the time. So, the moral of the story was, take the train! In the meantime my 12 string is around 25 years old. Well, couple of days ago I was carrying 3 huge sport bags of stuff as I stepped off the train but I still managed to help a young lass with her over-sized bag step down from the train. So feeling pleased with myself and a little surprised I was not struggling as much with my baggage as I thought I would, I strolled contentedly towards the platform exit. Three big bags, that's cool. Wait a minute, wasn't there something else. Hum? Check the bags again..... aaaaarrrgggh! No gigbag and 12 string. That's when I found out I could still sprint 100 mtrs. Dashing back the length of the train (why did it have to be the second last carriage?!) I passed the conductor and begged him to wait as the train was about to depart.... he actually swore at me!! What the? Long story short, I recovered my guitar in the nick of time and hugged it to my chest like a baby wondering if I'd have ever seen it again if I had not remembered just in time....

Anyone else have a nice scary guitar story to share?

sbutler

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:10 pm

I've always heard "if you love someone, set them free" I'm not sure your precious 12 string would have come back, even though I know she loves you very much. :(

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:30 pm

Yeah Scott.... I was reckoning my chances at about 50/50!

tombo1230

Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:34 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Yeah Scott.... I was reckoning my chances at about 50/50!
A close shave! My guitars ain't going anywhere anytime soon! :)

Tom N.

BigBear

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:24 am

Chris- a very close call. You were damned lucky. Bottom line, I hate travelling with two things: my golf clubs and any of my guitars. Nothing good ever happens with either. And they've managed to make travelling even more miserable than it was so bringing guitars or golf clubs is even more daunting. Oh well. :cheer:

dennisg

Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:51 am

For me, the solution is a travel guitar -- one small enough for me to take aboard a plane and stow either in the overhead or in the coat closet. Having a small guitar won't prevent you from forgetting it, but it means it doesn't have to be abused by the baggage handlers.

If I were an airline, I'd figure out a way to take good care of people's musical instruments, then I'd promote that feature with an ad campaign that says, We let your instrument travel first class.

Music Junkie

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:25 pm

I have not been playing long enough for too many things to have happened. I have a Martin Backpacker and a Baby Taylor that usually go up to the mountains with me on camping/backpacking trips. I would have to think very seriously about boarding a plane with any of my favorites.... B)

Amazing how attached to these inanimate objects we become.... ;)

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:55 am

I don't know about yours but my guitars are very much alive MJ! :-)

Amazing how attached to these inanimate objects we become....

michelew

Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:45 am

dennisg wrote:
For me, the solution is a travel guitar -- one small enough for me to take aboard a plane and stow either in the overhead or in the coat closet. Having a small guitar won't prevent you from forgetting it, but it means it doesn't have to be abused by the baggage handlers.

If I were an airline, I'd figure out a way to take good care of people's musical instruments, then I'd promote that feature with an ad campaign that says, We let your instrument travel first class.
One day I might get myself a travel guitar. In the meantime, ukuleles are a great travel companion. Ukes fit easily in the overhead storage compartment on the plane and you almost don't notice them once they're on your back, leaving your hands free of your luggage.

And no, I don't receive a commission from Kala, Lanikai nor any other ukulele manufacture. If you can't bear to only have four strings, get one with six or eight, which gives you a beautiful big more complex sound. these are especially goof if you primarily want it strum.

Food for thought.

I've already posted my scariest guitar stories, my Larrivee's fight with a tiled floor....timbbbbbbbbber... That was scary enough for me. Running for the train...that would have scared the [insert appropriate curse here] out of me. I'm glad you retrieved your beloved 12-string Chris.

Shel

Music Junkie

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:26 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I don't know about yours but my guitars are very much alive MJ! :-)

Amazing how attached to these inanimate objects we become....

I would not argue that point.... ;) There are certain nights, when things are working right, that I would say mine is too..... B)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic