SOMETHING COMPLETELY OFF BEAT

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi guys, just want to share a fun free app with y'all... the ESP Trainer (but you knew that already, right? :-)) Completely off topic, of course so tune out now if you don't like the idea.

Although this is a lot of fun, its actually based on a NASA / Stanford Research Institute programme run by the real Men Who Stare at Goats guys led by Russell Targ and is real ESP training. Yes, ESP is real and well proven: Targ - "statistically 10 times stronger proven than Aspirin as a remedy for Heart problems". This is the Team who worked with Uri Geller who apparently was able to display strong ESP in test done on concealed drawings (but is a proven fake when it comes to the bending spoons nonsense - see James Randi). Targ is a leader in the field of Remote Viewing who's founding father, Ingo Swan died last week. If you don't know about remote viewing, there is much on the web and again, this is real stuff with a solid scientific base and has been used by the US and Russian military since the 60's. Fascinating stuff if you are interested in how the mind works as I am.

Anyway, this ESP trainer works very simply and you just have to "guess" at which of 4 squares is "hiding" the target photo. You do 24 trails at a time and see what score you get. An average score would logically be 6 because you have a 1 in 4 chance each time to get it right so from 24 you should get about 6 by shear chance. When you can get constantly more, say 9 or 12, this is an indication of ESP manifesting itself. You can pass a turn if you don't feel you are getting anything and it doesn't go against your score so its not a forced choice.

Its fun to see how you score but remember, this is also a training device. If anyone downloads the free app, let us know how you do. I suggest keeping a log of attempts. Anyone get regularly over 12 should definitely let us (and Russell Targ) know! I will now play out with the X-Files tune.... (my ringing tone!)

Link to Russel Targ https: //www.espresearch.com/iphone/
Link to info on App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/esp-tra ... 82103?mt=8

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:27 am

Hmmm, a deafening silence :)

Possible interpretations are:

- No one is interested in esoteric kind of stuff

- Folks think it is BS

- everyone is busy playing guitar

I like reason nr. 4 best.

Quite a few people go all foggy-eyed on me if I mention such things which is a reaction I have also gotten when it comes to mentioning playing guitar and I guess it means, not interested. I was wondering how many people would be interested if they knew ESP is a real and measurable phenomenon researched by physicists and the military and something you can test yourself. I have also found it interesting that some subjects are treated with disbelief (or simply ignored) by the scientific community even when the scientific method is rigorously applied and the results speak for themselves. kind of like, it has to be scientifically well founded and proven... as long as its not something I don't believe in. Harvard Prof. John E Mack faced the same problem when his work on UFO abductees (Abduction. Human Encounters With Aliens) passed all scientific scrutiny but he was shunned in the halls of Harvard thereafter. Its as if we are not allowed to think and talk about certain things.

Anyway, my experience with the ESP Trainer: Day 1 I was a budding psychic! with scores of 9 (x2) 10 (x2) and even 12 (x2)! Wow, that was fun. Day 2 was nothing like that, meagre scores or 4, 5 or 6. So did that mean ESP has to do with daily form like everything else? Hmmm, research continues.... :)

wiley

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:11 am

wiley

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:08 pm

cosmicmechanic

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:08 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Quite a few people go all foggy-eyed on me if I mention such things ...
When I was a child
I caught a fleeting glimpse
Out of the corner of my eye

I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown
The dream is gone
I... Have become comfortably numb

Chris, I think most parents can give examples of their younger children
showing very real demonstrations of ESP, that is, if they are open to that possibility, otherwise, it goes unnoticed.

A very simple example: I rarely (*never*) eat desserts, and so never eat ice cream, especially not a few hours after supper.
A long time ago, when my children were still toddlers, I was hit by an unexplainable craving for ice cream late one evening.

I hauled my butt out of the sofa and stepped into the hallway that linked all the rooms in our apartment.
I still remember my amazement as my 4 year old daughter (who had snuck out of bed) at the far end of the hallway exclaimed "I want ice cream too, daddy !".
Like I said, there was no rhyme or reason to it. Kids do this often enough, just got to be alert to it.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:00 am

Hi Wiley, very interesting to hear from a poker player's point of view. ESP would certainly come in handy! We all have an innate ability to read people at the sub-conscious level... its connecting to the conscious level which causes problems, I think. Facial expressions and body language cannot be suppressed easily, usually not a all. If we use the word intuition, we are usually reacting to body language, words said and facial expressions and logic and I find that all to be in the realm of non ESP. As you point out, this can all be utilised to gain a better understanding of the person in front of you.

Yes, I read up on facial micro expressions too and (not sure if it was Ekman) and they have mapped them and put all the possible combinations into a computer programme so that you can completely analyse to emotional reactions of anyone you have filmed. Ekman (if it was him) could do it "live" in real time. There is also the research on partnership interactions... these guys can tell within minutes if a relationship is healthy, doomed or salvageable with contempt being the absolute killer sign for any relationship. Malcom Gladwell talks about "thin slicing" in "Blink".

The reason we feel so uncomfortable listening to politicians making a speech is the disparity between the words said and the body language/facial expressions. Clinton was a great study object for me. I remember watching him say live on TV "I did not have..." I knew instantly he did have and that he was now really in trouble. Bush II was a joke, I meant it wasn't at all fair as his ability to mask his feelings and intentions was almost zero. Best he could do was give that pleading look that said, "do you believe me yet?" after he had lied through his teeth. And when you repeatedly over-use the word peace when asking congress to go to war, you are insulting everyone's intelligence. Obama is a brilliant actor, no doubt. And yes, I'm cured on that number by now!! I notice all three were taught to make a fist with their thumb sticking out on the outside so as not to be too threatening but still be emphatic... give me a break, that's pure, "Yes, I did smoke pot, but I didn't inhale"!! As a coach, I'm reading body language all day long.

The voice is another wide-open give-away of the emotional state. Never call in sick to your boss when you're not... get someone else to do it for you! You hear the lie more clearly on the phone than in person as all of your focus is on the voice. I'm sure that folks here have noticed what an indicator of emotional state the voice is when they sing.

So all this is not ESP. ESP is knowing something without those signs being present. I can give some personal examples:

- Talking on the phone to a girlfriend and getting a sudden flash of bright green, then asking her if she's wearing something that colour. She was and it was not a pullover I had seen before.

- Picking up the phone (before digital phones and number recognition) and saying, "Hello Yvonne" after not having any contact with a former girlfriend for more than 2 years and without the person on the other end having said anything. The shock at the other end was such that she was virtually unable to put a sentence together and eventually hung up without saying why she rang. I just knew who it was.

- Watching my first love (at college in her dorm room) stand up like an automaton and walk out the door in the most peculiar fashion. When I asked where she was going she said to the the phone (in another building) in a very other-worldly way. When she returned she told me her grand mother had just died. Later her mother told me that she (the mother) was at home and had just put the phone down after getting the news that her mother had died when instantly the phone rang and it was my girlfriend asking what was wrong! The same girlfriend (sorry, its not always about one!) ducked at exactly the right moment as I threw a tennis ball at her head (nice!) with her back turned to me and walking away from the net (she won the previous point, grrrr!). No idea how she picked that up!

Pierre, that is a lovely example from your daughter. Priceless.

I'm sure that everyone experiences these things and I don't consider myself special in any way... I just have remained aware of this dimension since childhood and have learned to trust it and listen.

Nice to know the pebble did make a ripple or two in the pond... ;-)

Chasplaya

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:17 pm

I knew what this post was about before I read it :laugh:

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:10 pm

Ah, but did you know that I knew that you would know? :-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic