Brushes with Fame

dennisg

Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:36 pm

tombo1230 wrote:

The most famous musicians I met were 'Francis Rossi and Mick Parfitt from Status Quo.' Possibly a lot of you are saying Who? at this moment, but they were big in Britain (UK) for a while.
They had one minor hit in America: Pictures of Matchstick Men

cosmicmechanic

Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:45 pm

Tony, this reminds me of a conversation I once had with my seatmate in a long-distance bus ride.

My neighbor (Joe) was glad to chat, and I obliged, rambling on about lots of things.

I told Joe about how I once had a discussion with Bono about avoiding hearing loss.
Some jobs subject us to harmful sound levels, and Bono did give me some good advice.

Joe's reaction amazed me, he was so very enthusiastic. "Wow! You actually got one on one with Bono!?"

"Sure", I answered. "Harry Bono is one of the renowned landscapers in my area, but I'm surprised you've even heard of him.
He told me he always wears ear protection whenever he operates any machinery".

I later went on to tell him about how Clapton had given me a couple of lessons in the early 90s.
Joe sputtered "Man! Really? I'd give anything for any kind of meeting with Eric Clapton !"

"No, no, I replied. Richard Clapton was a well-known car maintenance teacher at my local high school.
Great concept, that ... mechanics courses for adults in the evenings.
He even had a question and answer column in the weekend newspaper !"

After a while, I got to telling him about the time I was in a protest march alongside Springsteen, who was the honorary spokesman for our cause.

"Holy Moley!", said Joe. "Springsteen ! What were you protesting ?" I couldn't help but feel a bit pumped ... he was so impressed.

I told him "Well, Arthur Springsteen is a traffic reporter in my town, a celebrity, as you already seem to know.
So all six of us protesters got the city to add a traffic light where there had only been a stop sign before, at a very dangerous intersection!"

As time went on, I eventually told him that I had played some guitar with Tovo in his hotel room when he had come to Ottawa, Canada on business.

"Tovo! ... arrghh", he groaned ... "Not the Tony from Totally Guitars ?"

I then realized that it was too late to back down, I could only admit to it.

"... Uh ... y...y... yeah", I sighed :huh: .

Pierre

(PS: I know you can take a joke, Tony :silly: , it was a fun time that day, with Marc)

dennisg

Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:49 pm

I went to high school in Hollywood, so it was a fairly regular occurrence to see celebrities. But here's my list of very close encounters:

- When I was about 14, my brother and I were hired to dress up as the Scarecrow (me) and the Tin Man (my brother) for the opening of a boutique in Hollywood called The Yellow Brick Road. Judy Garland showed up in a limo, and we sang If I Only Had a Brain for her. My brother had silver paint (from his costume) on the back of his guitar for many years.

- I used to date the sister of Academy Award winner Richard Dreyfuss, and I would often see him and chat with him. He was pretty coked up during that period, and never remembered me. Every time I saw him I had to remind him who I was.

- I used to be buddies with Tim Matheson, the guy who starred as Eric Stratton in Animal House and later went on to play the vice president on West Wing.

- In a restaurant in Paris, we sat at a table next to one David Hockney, one of my wife's favorite artists. I talked her into going over to his table, and he was extraordinarily gracious and flattered to be recognized.

tombo1230

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:11 pm

dennisg wrote:
tombo1230 wrote:

The most famous musicians I met were 'Francis Rossi and Mick Parfitt from Status Quo.' Possibly a lot of you are saying Who? at this moment, but they were big in Britain (UK) for a while.
They had one minor hit in America: Pictures of Matchstick Men
Yes well done. They never made it in America but did 'Rock All Over The World'.

Tom N.

Here's a taster of some of their best work.

Music Junkie

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:12 pm

dennisg wrote:
[quote- I used to date the sister of Academy Award winner Richard Dreyfuss, and I would often see him and chat with him. He was pretty coked up during that period, and never remembered me. Every time I saw him I had to remind him who I was.[/quote]

Maybe that would explain his "Close Encounters"..... :woohoo:

I have to admit that I did enjoy "The Goodbye Girl" though. Love David Gates' song from that movie as well..... ;)

unclewalt

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:38 pm

I've met tons of famous people and have more than a few stories, but a couple of brief ones are possibly worth telling here, both from when I worked for NPR about a decade ago.

I was at the urinal in the men's room when suddenly there was this large figure next to me - so large that without thinking I broke protocol and looked up. It was Al Sharpton. We both nodded and went about our business.

Another time, I was shooting pictures of Lyle Lovett for the Web site. I'm not a photographer, so I wanted to take as many as I could to have a large number to choose from. He was sitting there tuning up in the big performance studio, getting ready to play and be interviewed as I circled around him taking shots. He eventually snapped at me: "Do you you think you have enough yet?" I said I did and beat it out of there.

(Which reminds me, by the way: I''d love a lesson on "If I Had a Boat.")

tovo

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:15 am

As always I appreciate the responses and yeah Pierre I can take a joke (that joke anyway). Reading it made me think of how many Internet teachers (Neil of course but also people like Marty Swartz and Justin Sandercoe) have become celebrities in their own right, a sure sign of the times.

I recall Den telling me he had met Tina Louise who played Ginger on Gilligan's Island. I remember being impressed. I told him I was more of a Mary-Anne fan. Having met my wife he would understand why.

Neighbors isn't my scene Tom but I think I know who the guy is! :)

Chris you have a long list there man! Martina Hingis......good one.

I laughed at the Lyle Lovett story as well.

Thanks for playing everyone.

coomba

Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:58 am

Well Tony
Im not absolutely sure but!
In my banner vid the big Roo lying down, That could be Skippies grandson.

Nope!

Ive got nothin

Shut up Sunny and pass me a beer.

Cheers anyway
Scott

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:45 am

coomba wrote:
In my banner vid the big Roo lying down, That could be Skippies grandson.
:woohoo: I bet it was him too!

Walt's urinal anecdote reminds me of a similar one back in Sheffield, late 70's, Ian St John (Liverpool cup winning goal scorer and hero of my brother as a kid) was peeing next to me in a night club. He was there when I came in and he was still peeing a couple of minutes later after I finished my business and washing my hands very slowly and walked out! Soccer players in those days were know for their beer drinking and I think this must have been a record-busting, beer-induced pee, for sure!

tombo1230

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:32 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
:
:woohoo: I bet it was him too!

Walt's urinal anecdote reminds me of a similar one back in Sheffield, late 70's, Ian St John (Liverpool cup winning goal scorer and hero of my brother as a kid) was peeing next to me in a night club. He was there when I came in and he was still peeing a couple of minutes later after I finished my business and washing my hands very slowly and walked out! Soccer players in those days were know for their beer drinking and I think this must have been a record-busting, beer-induced pee, for sure!

I remember him well. He was a great footballer. Later on he had a tv show called the 'Saint and Greavesy Show'. Jimmy Greaves was his partner in crime. They were hilarious!

Jimmy Greaves was dropped or injured if memory serves me and missed the World cup final that England won in 1966. Geoff Hurst replaced him for the game and scored a hat trick that day. :)

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic