Brushes with Fame

tovo

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:42 pm

Lynn got me thinking with her comments about being nervous around famous people. I travel a great deal and I often see people of fame in airports around the World. Let me provide a name dropping example ;) Last time I visited the USA I was standing next to Nicole Kidman in the Qantas lounge. Moments later Keith Urban strolled up as well. What did I say? Nothing. What am I going to say to them apart from maybe hello? That's all I might say to a stranger!

What are your thoughts on speaking to a famous person, perhaps a musician? If you were a big fan would you feel compelled to tell them so? Seek an autograph? Ask for a picture? (Several people asked Keith Urban for a picture as he was trying to get something to eat and he was extremely gracious and accommodating).

The other aspect is that on a couple of occasions I have ventured to chat with someone of fame and been rudely rebuffed. That has affected my opinion of those people since, even though I get that perhaps they were just having a really bad day.

Anyone got any stories or opinions to share?

suziko

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:10 pm

Well, i've never seen anyone of that level of fame, Tony. My most famous encounter was with the two front guys from Barenaked Ladies, back before they were even well-known. They were playing at a small venue here in Madison, and my friend and I showed up early to get in the front of the (non-existant) line. While we were standing around, Steve and Ed showed up. My friend said something like "Oh my god, that's THEM!!!" and I promptly turned around and tried to find a place to hide. That was my instinct: hide! :) My friend was more savvy and bold, and approached them and asked for an autograph. We ended up having a really fun, casual conversation with the two of them before they went in to do their sound-check.

Any other time that I've interacted with an artist that I have just seen, or am about to see, I have just said a few banal things: Great show! I'm excited for the show! Can't wait! etc etc. And I think most performers are happy to hear that kind of thing from their audience.

As for a random encounter with famous person: I wouldn't ask for an autograph/pic/etc. I'm just not interested in things like that and I'd always rather just leave the person alone. In fact, last year I was in my favorite clothing store, and when checking out, the woman at the register whispered to me, "You know who's right over there? Molly Ringwald!!" I kind of glanced over, but she had her back turned to me. I'd already bought my stuff and paid, so I just left the store. Later, friends asked me why I hadn't gone up to her and gotten an autograph, but I just felt like, "Why?"

Suzi

sbutler

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:57 pm

One night, while still living in KC, I got to see on of my all time favorite bands. Steely Dan. Great, Great show.

The next day, while working in an upper end shopping district, known as the Country Club Plaza, I was hot footing it up the block to a place I could get lunch within my 30 min break. I rounded a corner and smashed right into Donald Fagen, the lead guitarist for Steely Dan. Almost knocked him down. He actually apologized to me. Anyway, I whispered "great show last night", he winked and was on his way.

Although nobody was hurt in the collision, none of his juju rubbed off on me. So here I am, still a wanna be guitar playa :(

Scott

Music Junkie

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:33 pm

Living in southern California, I get the opportunity to see well known folks from time to time. In all honesty, I don't pay them much attention....

I did, on one occasion, hold the door open at a Starbucks for Kathy Ireland. I was going in for a cup early in the morning up in Santa Barbara and she walked up behind me. I held the door open before even looking back. As she passed, she kindly thanked me. When I got in line behind her, she offered to let me ahead of her in line since I had held the door. I did not recognize her at first, because she was in sweats and no make-up. I just thought she was a pretty girl... ;) I let her stay ahead of me and heard people whispering about who she was. Once I got my coffee and was leaving, she was walking out in front of me and held the door open for me....lol Not much of a story...

On another occasion, I saw Jamie Lee Curtis shopping for furniture in downtown Santa Barbara. Did not talk to her. I have always liked her, but I am just not one to bother folks.

I did get the opportunity to hold a short conversation with Don Rickles on a flight to Vegas once. I was reading a book and he sat down in the seat across from me. He commented on the book (he had read it too). We talked for 4-5 minutes and I told him that I had always enjoyed his comedy. He said "thanks" and that was about the end of it....

I have had several other opportunities, and have actually worked on some custom homes for a few. Being one to enjoy my own privacy, I have a tendency to just ignore my surroundings. My wife laughs at me, but I figure they are not any better than the rest of us. I truly admire some of them, and envy their talents, but don't really get all that excited.... Plus, I am not a great conversationalist and would never know what to say if I did want to meet someone.... :unsure:

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:36 pm

Well, I have been in the room with Zucchero (Italian rock star), BJH, the guy from Supertramp I mentioned at an after party, and did chat and sip my drink with them but nothing special.... I have been in the room with Franz Beckenbauer, Bobby Charlton, Ronaldino, Boris Becker, Pelé, Michael Platini, André Shevchenko, Lothar Matthius and a phalanx of other top soccer stars (all at the same time), some I said hi to, some I shook hands with... and I remember Sue Barker (English Tennis player from the 80's / host of BBC's Question of Sport) being a bit saucy with me before going on court to play a match many moons ago ( I was the perfect gentleman, of course). Roger Federer watched me and Alessandra playing squash for several minutes after his own training and later I did get a photo of him with Ale (with my finger over the lense!) and was lucky enough to have many conversions over 7 years (we ran one of the world's top squash events for 7 years) with one of the world's greatest sportsmen, Jahangir Khan who played 5 years, 10 months unbeaten! I also have a photo of Martina Hingis somewhere when she was Swiss indoor champion at the age of 12 (!) playing the championships in our centre.... Oh, and dinner with the Agong (King) of Malaysia was very nice (his son Prince Pete Imram was President of the World Squash Federation) back in the 90's!

All true (but not at all important) sorry for bragging but Tony did ask! ;-)

Sue: Barnaked Ladies,eh? Too cool, those guys are great!:-)

PS: Skiing up in Klosters one winter and King Juan Carlos of Spain sat at the table in front of me in the ski-hut at lunch time... I didn't say hi as the the two guys with bulging rucksacks on their backs did not look too social. And I think I mentioned before sitting in the train with Varalie Adams as she was returning from the Olympics last summer after winning the gold medal for shot-put but only after the Russian girl got caught doping... she told me the story of anger and frustration at not being able to have the medal awarded properly... the Russian girl wouldn't give it up! Now Valerie Adams, a gigantic Mouri, (imagine Jonah Lomu and you've got it) close up and angry is a very unsettling sight, I can tell you!!

tombo1230

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:49 pm

Just thinking about this question I began to realise that because of the line of work I'm in (TV), I've either met or been in the same room as quite a few 'famous' people. Famous being a word that would go from local tv celebrity to International Megastar. The most famous person I have been in the same room as is Arnold Swarzenegger. I hope I spelled it correctly. :dry: Tom Hanks might have been the most famous person had I been at work that day. I also missed the Queen and Prince Philip and Charles and Camilla, same reason, I was off that day. :laugh:

The most famous musicians I met were 'Francis Rossi and Mick Parfitt from Status Quo.' Possibly a lot of you are saying Who? at this moment, but they were big in Britain (UK) for a while.

Rossi and co were in making a promo. I remember someone pointing out that Rossi was wearing two different socks. One had yellow and white stripes the other had pink and yellow stripes. He laughed and said, I've got another pair just like them back in my hotel room. (true) :) :laugh:

Here's one for Tovo.....I worked with the Aussie actor Stefan Dennis who plays Paul Robinson in Neighbours. He's still in it I believe, really nice guy, he was in Scotland a few years ago for a few months. I'm sure you guys are bored by now, so enough! I look forward to the day I meet my real hero............. Guitar hero that is...........Neil of course! B) :)

Tom N.

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:00 pm

Ah, and Nicki Lauder (the Formula 1 racing driver) actually had the gall to ask my girlfriend for a light one night in an disco in Ibiza with me standing next to her... bad pick up line for a guy who burnt off half his head in a horror crash earlier in his carrier! I didn't say a word!

thereshopeyet

Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:00 pm

TomN Wrote:
Tom Hanks might have been the most famous person had I been at work that day. I also missed the Queen and Prince Philip and Charles and Camilla, same reason, I was off that day.
Ah but Tom, you never finished the story..... when you arrived at work, they had all left the premises saying..........
TomN's never around when we try to get his autograph !!!
:laugh: :laugh:

tombo1230

Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:26 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
There's nothing boring about you Tom ;)

TomN Wrote:
Tom Hanks might have been the most famous person had I been at work that day. I also missed the Queen and Prince Philip and Charles and Camilla, same reason, I was off that day.
Ah but Tom, you never finished the story..... when you arrived at work, they had all left the premises saying..........
TomN's never around when we try to get his autograph !!!
:laugh: :laugh:

Ha ha! :laugh: :laugh: You have a quirky way of turning things on their head Dermot.

You must have met some famous people when you worked in tv Dermot?

Tom N.

tombo1230

Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:32 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Ah, and Nicki Lauder (the Formula 1 racing driver) actually had the gall to ask my girlfriend for a light one night in an disco in Ibiza with me standing next to her... bad pick up line for a guy who burnt off half his head in a horror crash earlier in his carrier! I didn't say a word!
Hey that was a close one! ................Thank God the wife never found out eh? ;) :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, I blame Dermot for starting the funnies! :)

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic