Unlocking the song vault - any key will do

michelew

Sat May 18, 2013 6:02 am

There really should be an 'observations and ponderings' category. B)

I watched Glee tonight. It was Stevie Wonder night. Is it possible to sit silently when Stevie's songs are playing? I think not. He's pretty cool. Cool, funky bass lines too.

Anyway, I was just marvelling at how the brain works. I haven't heard some of the songs for .... too many years to count, but after a few notes the lyrics and the melody and all the inflections and .... Well you get the picture. :) it all just flows into your active memory and you can't help but sing it loudly. I love that. :)

Does that happen to you?

The brain is an amazing thing. I would be nice to be able to store and recall things when you want to, especially progressions. Well I'm sure many of you can.

Just sharing. Stevie is one groovy man. Now it's a Stevie night. :)

M

cosmicmechanic

Sat May 18, 2013 1:10 pm

Michele, I think that part of your pondering has to do with how sensitive our whole nervous system is, relating to music.

I recently heard of a study of orangutangs, in which researchers hoped to develop a touch-screen app to determine which type of music
the apes preferred, i.e. rock, country, classical, etc.

Turns out that given a choice, the apes prefer peace and quiet, or, to use the scientific term: silence.

Then they studied the orangutang reaction to dissonant sounds versus melodic sounds ...

Their conclusion was that the apes can't tell the difference between music and random sounds ... how disappointing !

Your post also made me remember how Deep Purple's screaming chorus to "Child in Time" kicked my legs out from under me when I was about 13 years old.

I mean really ... was the first time I heard this kind of music, and on a top notch sound system to boot. Actually had to sit down, my knees buckled.

So my orangutang friends find me rather boring ... I have had to learn to live with that.

Pierre

neverfoundthetime

Sat May 18, 2013 5:27 pm

Maybe the most curious aspect of how our brains react to music is the way a tune or line worms its way into our brain so quickly and just keeps popping up at random moments. Your latest release with Daryl has been doing that to me Shell... your chorus keeps popping into my head, clear as a bell....

neverfoundthetime

Sat May 18, 2013 5:37 pm

Here's what I've been using recently to take advantage of, or at least to steer, that above mentioned mechanism, something positive for your mental health....

michelew

Sun May 19, 2013 1:54 am

Pierre - your orangutang buddies literally don't know what they're missing. Perhaps they just haven't found the right music yet. Still there are definitely times when I'd rather hear the wind in the trees, frogs, crickets and cicadas (which sound like Summer to me), the ocean, birds and a raft of other pure natural sounds rather than human-man music. Thanks for relaying your memories. It sounds like a powerful one.

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Maybe the most curious aspect of how our brains react to music is the way a tune or line worms its way into our brain so quickly and just keeps popping up at random moments. Your latest release with Daryl has been doing that to me Shell... your chorus keeps popping into my head, clear as a bell....
Chris - Sorry buddy. That's Life DEFINITELY became an Earworm while Daryl and I were working on it and afterward. I actually sent Daryl an email at one point because the chorus (and yes my choir) was looping in my hear something wicked. I had urgent, urgent work on that I really needed to focus on (required serious trouble shooting and creative solutions) and the Earworm just keep going round and round and round... Crazy making. Daryl laughed. :) ratbag! :P

I find that sometimes you can shift an ear worm with a new song, especially if you're singing along. Perhaps the act of recalling new melodies and lyrics reboots the hard drive. :)

Thanks for the chanting. It's very hypnotic. Good for the soul indeed.

Shel

neverfoundthetime

Sun May 19, 2013 5:15 am

I have it in Mp3 format if anyone wants it... just PM me and I'll give you access to the drop-box.
Thanks for the chanting. It's very hypnotic. Good for the soul indeed.
Shel

jayswett

Sun May 19, 2013 6:09 am

I loved the first several seasons of Glee, but sadly, I haven't managed to keep up with it. I'm sure it's still a great show.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic