Ray Manzarek of The Doors, dead at 74

dennisg

Mon May 20, 2013 5:49 pm

The Doors hit the big time when I was 16, and I couldn't get enough of them. In fact, it was a close contest as to which album I wore out first, The Doors or Sergeant Pepper's. Aside from a bunch of great songs and one of the most compelling singers ever to grace a rock band, The Doors had what was probably the most unique keyboard player of all time, due to the fact that he simultaneously played a little bass organ (along with the regular organ) so that the band didn't have to hire a bass player. His work on Light My Fire might just be the most recognizable keyboard solo in rock history. Ray Manzarek died of cancer today.

Music Junkie

Mon May 20, 2013 6:10 pm

dennisg wrote:
The Doors hit the big time when I was 16, and I couldn't get enough of them. In fact, it was a close contest as to which album I wore out first, The Doors or Sergeant Pepper's. Aside from a bunch of great songs and one of the most compelling singers ever to grace a rock band, The Doors had what was probably the most unique keyboard player of all time, due to the fact that he simultaneously played a little bass organ (along with the regular organ) so that the band didn't have to hire a bass player. His work on Light My Fire might just be the most recognizable keyboard solo in rock history. Ray Manzarek died of cancer today.
It is very sad to see another passing from such a great era in rock n roll.... :(

lueders

Mon May 20, 2013 10:16 pm

Two thoughts pop into my head when I read that Dennis.
First off that clearly sucks & is major loss for Music.
Secondly, was he really 74? I had no idea he was even in his seventies...but when I do the math I realize I am bad at math.
74 sure ain't what it used to be either is it?

neverfoundthetime

Tue May 21, 2013 7:30 am

You are right on the money about his keyboard work on Light My Fire, Dennis. I can pull that up out of my head at the drop of a hat anytime anywhere.... pure magic! Sad day.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic