thereshopeyet

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks.

willem

Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:49 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Big Bear Wrote:
Great question Willem!! Dag!
Yep, sorry Willem :blush: .... good question and some interesting responses.

:)
Its allright Dermot,, I like your humor,, Image

thereshopeyet

Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:36 pm

Thanks.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:22 am

They invented 12 strings purely for my personal pleasure Willem! :-)

Historically, I go with the traditional double string habits of the mandolin-like instruments story, makes sense for Europe. But we perceive the modern guitar as coming to us from the USA so I'm pretty sure that the boost in loudness from 12 strings in pre-electric times is why we now have 12 string dreads.

dennisg

Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:

Historically, I go with the traditional double string habits of the mandolin-like instruments story, makes sense for Europe. But we perceive the modern guitar as coming to us from the USA so I'm pretty sure that the boost in loudness from 12 strings in pre-electric times is why we now have 12 string dreads.
I think the pre-electric solution to boost loudness was the resonator guitar which used an internal cone to amplify the sound. The origin of the 12-string is still a mystery to me.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:15 pm

dennisg wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:

I think the pre-electric solution to boost loudness was the resonator guitar which used an internal cone to amplify the sound. The origin of the 12-string is still a mystery to me.

Could be but the resonator is such a different sound to the wooden dread, the 12 string dread seams a logical step towards cutting through on stage to be heard and adding richness too. I know that the Gibson acoustic was also designed to cut through on stage... "theBone crusher" is what Franco from Die Gitarre called it! :-)

willem

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:55 pm

Chasplaya

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:20 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Great find Wiley (by he way, I hope you are doing well). I wonder who sets up the action on his 12 strings as he is playing it like an electric guitar (like if the strings were made of fishing strings).

Marc
Rene Martinez was SRV's guitar tech and he set up his guitars, Rene was with him from 1985 - to the end. His electrics were set up with higher than normal action, jumbo frets and heavy strings also tuned to E flat. It is said the Guild he used on the MTV was one of the few occasions he was in standard tuning. So high action is contrary to what most believe. SRV had very strong hands apparently allowed him to play like he did.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic