MISUNDERSTOOD LYRICS...Go on and share you're among friends.

lueders

Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Hello everyone I thought it might be fun to hear some misunderstood lyrics from folks. We’ve all done it whether we admit or not…lol. I couldn’t resist copying 3 of my favorite, common mis-heard lyrics from a site I found. They really are pretty popular: mondegreens. Everyone I know falls for the Manfred Mann one…and you gotta admit it sure sounds like: “ there’s bathroom on the right” and Jimi wants to be excused while he attempts to “kiss this guy”

I remember an experience where a kid in junior almost bet me his lunch money that ACDC’s DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP was actually “dungeon-deep.” Huh?

My brother-in-law, once thought INX’s SUICIDE BLONDE was actually
“soup and salad bar”

I remember thinking I was actually hearing the F-bomb dropped by Micheal Jackson as I listened to BEAT IT in my walk-man circa 1983.

Song lyrics are often misunderstood. Millions of people are walking around or driving in their car right now singing the words to a song incorrectly. The reason for this might be: 1) We are listening to a song while we are doing other stuff and only paying attention halfway, or 2) The singer doesn't sing the lyric clearly, or 3) We think we understand it, but we don't! It's so common that a phrase or lyric is misunderstood, that a word for this mistake was included in the dictionary in 2000. This blunder is called a mondegreen.

1.BAD MOON RISING, by Creedance Clearwater Revival in 1969

"There's a bathroom on the right” There's a bad moon on the rise."

2. PURPLE HAZE sung by The Jimi Hendrix Experience in 1966
"Scuse me while I kiss this guy", supposed to be "Scuse me while I kiss the sky."

3. BLINDED BY THE LIGHT sung by Manfred Mann's Earth Band in 1977
"Revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night” “Wrapped up like a douche…”

WELL HAVE ANY TO ADD TO THE LIST, FOLKS?

daryl

Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:34 pm

I'm sure very few know the lyrics to this one. But everyone sings along......

haoli25

Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:04 pm

Good post, Cori. :)

Whew!! Sooooo many to choose from. One of my favorites is Mr. Mister's 1985 song "Kyrie". The chorus has the Greek phrase, "Kyrie Eleison" (Lord, have mercy).

"Kyrie eleison, down the road that I must travel.
Kyrie eleison, through the darkness of the night.
Kyrie eleison, where I'm going will you follow?
Kyrie eleison, on a highway in the light
."

many, many, many, many people sang along with........

Carry a laser, down the road that I must travel.
Carry a laser, through the darkness of the night.
Carry a laser, where I'm going will you follow?
Carry a laser, on a highway in the light.

I have always considered this the "Darth Vader version". :laugh:

Bill

lueders

Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Ahaoli25 wrote:
Good post, Cori. :)

Whew!! Sooooo many to choose from. One of my favorites is Mr. Mister's 1985 song "Kyrie". The chorus has the Greek phrase, "Kyrie Eleison" (Lord, have mercy).

"Kyrie eleison, down the road that I must travel.
Kyrie eleison, through the darkness of the night.
Kyrie eleison, where I'm going will you follow?
Kyrie eleison, on a highway in the light
."

many, many, many, many people sang along with........

Carry a laser, down the road that I must travel.
Carry a laser, through the darkness of the night.
Carry a laser, where I'm going will you follow?
Carry a laser, on a highway in the light.

I have always considered this the "Darth Vader version". :laugh:

Bill

Oh yeah, I wore that album out Bill...and I remember listening to this song in particular over and over again...that one and "Take These Broken Wings".
You're right too...can totally see how that sounds like:" carry a laser" :laugh:

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:01 am

I thought Eight days a Week by the Beatles was Ain't they Louise. Ok, I was only 8 myself and was sure there weren't 8 days in a week..

And I could place the chorus of Leader Of The Band in this thread and Shell's thread on bad lyrics:

The leader of the band is tired (I always thought it was, The leader of the band is Dad)
And his eyes are growing old
But his blood runs through my instrument (cringe!)
And his song is in my soul

sbutler

Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:32 pm

My wife thought the Huhey Lewis song "I want a new drug" Was " I want a new truck"

Then there was an "Alabama" country song that mentioned "croaking bullfrogs" She thought it was "smoking bull frogs" yuck!

Scott

lueders

Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:12 pm

Good ones, fellas! :laugh: :laugh:

Ain't they Louise!...Ahh ha I can hear it.

Dad makes sense in context...but you're right blood running through his instrument? Huh?
(Unless it's like that movie about the RED VIOLIN...GOOD FliCK...check it out!

I know it gets cold in the winter up in Alaska. But I didn't know it was so cold you smoked bullfrogs. :laugh: I spect their hard to find that time of year too.
I'm sure back in the 60s someone tried. Lol! I'm just kidding those are great!! (the mondegreens not the frogs. Lol.)I can kinda see how you could hear that.

I can hear the new truck one, even more so. Except it makes the lines that follow more comical! :laugh:

sbutler

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:27 am

lueders wrote:
Good ones, fellas! :laugh: :laugh:

Ain't they Louise!...Ahh ha I can hear it.

Dad makes sense in context...but you're right blood running through his instrument? Huh?
(Unless it's like that movie about the RED VIOLIN...GOOD FliCK...check it out!

I know it gets cold in the winter up in Alaska. But I didn't know it was so cold you smoked bullfrogs. :laugh: I spect their hard to find that time of year too.
I'm sure back in the 60s someone tried. Lol! I'm just kidding those are great!! (the mondegreens not the frogs. Lol.)I can kinda see how you could hear that.

I can hear the new truck one, even more so. Except it makes the lines that follow more comical! :laugh:
Yeah, I want a new truck, one that won't make me sick. One that don't cost too much, or make me feel three feet thick. I'm pretty sure she never thought that one through :laugh:
And I'm sure your right about the sixty's. Who knows what those wacky kids may have smoked. Wait, that may have been me. :woohoo:
Scott

thereshopeyet

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks

Craig

Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:23 pm

** About ten years ago, I made a CD with all of my favorite songs on it. I played it constantly while driving in my car. My daughter was about 6 years old at the time. She loved to sing along with the CD. When the Turtles "Happy Together" came on, she would sing the chorus,

"I can't see me lovin' nobody but you, so rub my thighs"

My wife and I would laugh. We never corrected her, we thought it was cute. Now she is 16. No longer cute!!! :laugh: :laugh:

** One day I was playing music in the house and my wife asks me, "Who is Michelle"? I had no idea what she was talking about. She said, in the Squeeze song, why are they "pulling muscles from Michelle"?

Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic