MISUNDERSTOOD LYRICS...Go on and share you're among friends.

lueders

Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:39 pm

Bill, thanks for posting Mr. Kay's performance I laughed till my sides hurt. :laugh: :laugh: Apparently others did as well...definitely sounds like it was a hit them. :)

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:21 pm

That's a Lancashire accent Dennis, north of Liverpool, Blackpool and Manchester just west of the Pennines and easily confused with a Yorkshire accent which is just east of the Pennines. Pennines = the hills that form the back-bone up the middle of England. For some reason, the northern accents work really well for comedy.

Bill, you've been well schooled! The Birmingham accent is quite nasty (sorry to all Black Country TGers!) but not too hard to understand, difficult for the untrained ear is Geordie (north east England around Newcastle) and broad Scottish. Welsh is quite charming. England has an amazing richness of regional accents for a middle-sized country. It is, of course, a minefield for a kid brought up in a family moving from region to region ... as I was! This was my ear training and its paid off for me learning songs. To this day, I automatically try to place a person's accent when I hear them for the first time. Intrestingly, Lisa Stansfield (Around The World, etc) who was born in Lancashire has a massive accent when speaking but no trace of it when she sings:

dennisg wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:
Brilliant Bill, thanks! I'm amazed that you could understand anything he said, with that accent! ;-)
That was very funny. Sounds like a North of England accent.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic