an Appeal to David Crosby Fans

jim_s

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:36 pm

I would like to make an appeal to all the David Crosby fans that are members or visit this website. My appeal is for all of you Crosby fans to please vote for Lee Shore in the Recommend a lesson. As I look at the voting etc., for Lee Shore, I see that there are over ONE Thousand (1003) visits. I cannot believe that out of all those visits only 5 people have voted. FIVE!! I can not believe that there are only 5 fans of David Crosby and of one of the best written and sung songs. I am a little surprised that Neil himself has not added this song to the long lesson list.
So please answer the call for all Crosby fans to please vote for Lee Shore.

Jim_s

willem

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:55 pm

jim_s wrote:
I would like to make an appeal to all the David Crosby fans that are members or visit this website. My appeal is for all of you Crosby fans to please vote for Lee Shore in the Recommend a lesson. As I look at the voting etc., for Lee Shore, I see that there are over ONE Thousand (1003) visits. I cannot believe that out of all those visits only 5 people have voted. FIVE!! I can not believe that there are only 5 fans of David Crosby and of one of the best written and sung songs. I am a little surprised that Neil himself has not added this song to the long lesson list.
So please answer the call for all Crosby fans to please vote for Lee Shore.

Jim_s

I believe you are right,,why do you want us to vote,,do you think it becomes a lesson then..

do you have the link!!!???

Willem

ps TgVanessa is a big fan.............................

jim_s

Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:07 pm

YES! The link is in with the lesson recommendation or just go to You Tube and you will find it. Every time I listen to the song I am more fascinated by the words and the music. I seem to gravitate finger picking songs and to David Crosby songs. Give a listen and tell me what you think.

unclewalt

Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:51 pm

I'm not sure I understand the level of umbrage here. It's a fine tune, and might be worth a lesson, but the same could be said for thousands of other songs, including a whole bunch from the CSNY universe that probably would be better suited to a lesson, at least for most people here. It's a pretty obscure tune that I believe originated as a deep cut on a Crosby-Nash album. As a casual fan, I only barely remember it.

Here's a good version, after about a minute and a half of inane stage patter:

TGNesh

Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:50 pm

Willem is right, I'm defintely a CSN&Y-fan and I've always hoped for The Lee Shore to become a lesson, it should in my opinion, it's a classic and I just LOVE the song!!! The Four Way Street-version is just gorgeous! However, I've always played a version of my own and have sung it with a friend many many times over more than twenty years, the harmonies are just magical.......however, thanks for the reminder, will look into it! :)

(I think I did vote though! ;) )

TGNeil

Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:50 pm

Hi Walt,

Thanks for the link, although an obscure C&N album? I first heard this on Four Way Street and thought it was very cool. It later appeared on the 'import' A Very Stony Evening, later released on Another Stony Evening due to the popularity of the first one (colored vinyl in a floppy jacket). You are correct though about it being similar to many other fingerpicking songs already available here.

I have long considered doing a lesson on it as the alternate picking has an unusual twist. It also shows Crosby's effective use of extended chords created with minimal finger changes. This was something he used commonly as a compositional technique for quite a few reasons, some of which being ease of playing, unusual harmonic sounds, and room to improvise in case he forgot how it went. He was never too concerned about picking it out exactly the same way as long as the chord shapes were correct, which he usually could handle.

Maybe this will make a good candidate for our next 'Work It Out Challenge.'

Neil

jim_s

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps this was more of a selfish appeal. I am at best a ‘C’ student when it comes to music and would like a lesson more by the numbers. I have been trying for some time to work this out myself without success. I am taken aback by a less than cordial reply. I am sure that every member of this site can rattle of dozens of songs they would like to see as lessons and really made the appeal to the more than one thousand people that viewed the recommendation but thought it not worthy enough for a vote. Obscure as it may be it is one of my personal favorites. The lyrics tell a good story.

unclewalt

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:56 pm

TGNeil wrote:
Hi Walt,

Thanks for the link, although an obscure C&N album? I first heard this on Four Way Street and thought it was very cool. It later appeared on the 'import' A Very Stony Evening, later released on Another Stony Evening due to the popularity of the first one (colored vinyl in a floppy jacket). You are correct though about it being similar to many other fingerpicking songs already available here.

I have long considered doing a lesson on it as the alternate picking has an unusual twist. It also shows Crosby's effective use of extended chords created with minimal finger changes. This was something he used commonly as a compositional technique for quite a few reasons, some of which being ease of playing, unusual harmonic sounds, and room to improvise in case he forgot how it went. He was never too concerned about picking it out exactly the same way as long as the chord shapes were correct, which he usually could handle.

Maybe this will make a good candidate for our next 'Work It Out Challenge.'

Neil
Oh, I'd be all for a lesson, or at least fine with it. I was just puzzled by the framing of the topic.

As I said, I'm a casual fan (more than just the hits, but not fervent), and from that perspective, it's fairly obscure. I thought it had originated as a Crosby-Nash album cut, but I was wrong, apparently.

cosmicmechanic

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:14 pm

unclewalt wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the level of umbrage here. It's a fine tune, and might be worth a lesson ...
Here's a good version, after about a minute and a half of inane stage patter
Walt, I agree that inane patter distracts from the subject at hand, but I also feel it can be one of the tools of the art of (miss?)communication.
I just wish I still had that fringe leather coat, like David Crosby's, from way back when :dry:

I think I might actually get up the courage to wear it again. But not the fur coat I also had, though ... it made me look like a pimp.

But "The Lee Shore" is a fine tune, for sure, Jim :)

Pierre

unclewalt

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:37 pm

This is pretty funny. Check out Neil talking at the beginning of this, promising to be "careful with it" and to take full responsibility for any scratches. Do we assume he's borrowing a guitar? From Stills, perhaps? If so, I would think it would indeed be an intimidating situation, even for Neil Young. One does not cross Stephen Stills.

Also, a great version. Is this the one from Four-Way-Street?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic