Special musical memories ?

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:07 pm

Hi friends,

Care (or dare?) to let us know about a special musical reminiscence ? (General admission)

I'll go for starters ...

This has to do with Donna Summers' disco tune "Bad Girls" ...

Way back at the end of the 70's, I was a very young sole breadwinner with a newborn child.

I found much-needed work in a mattress factory ... the working conditions were medieval.

To give you an idea, I had to get up 3 hours early every weekday just to be able to open my right hand.
That hand was so solicited by the job that it was clamped shut when I woke up the following morning.

I remember one particular summer day going out for my 1/2 hour lunch break on the hot asphalt in front of the factory,
and hearing a totally new disco tune at VERY heavy volume ... it was the disco tune "Bad Girls" by Donna Summer.

The source of that music was just across the street ... the factory where I worked was in an industrial park, bordering on a prison.

Me and my co-workers sat drop-jawed, hastily eating our mustard sandwiches, watching the tanned prison inmates
on the other side of the barbed-wire fence across the street stroll, stretch and wander across the vast expanse of the grassy grounds
while the VERY LOUD music blasted.

So then, munch, munch, munch (I MUNCHED) ... and heard (the BLASTING) "Baaaad Giiirlllls, Uhhh Uhhhh", etc ...

When the factory foreman whistled to order us back into the factory at the end of break ...
I thought "This is just surreal ... they are free, and we go back into the sweatshop".

I remember entertaining the idea that maybe we on the working side of the fence were misguided.

But that's not true, obviously ... I was just a kid (kinda).

And I sure am glad that I stayed on this side of the fence ... because I can change channel when there is disco on ! :)

Just to jog your memory, don't say I didn't warn you ...

wrench

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:11 am

Pierre, this is a high risk thread indeed. But I do find it fascinating how we tend to file away musical sidebars to the events in our lives. For example, in 1970 my wife, who was then my girlfriend, and I were in a very serious car accident where a drunk driver hit our car from behind at a very high rate of speed. It nearly killed us both, and among the things I remember in vivd detail was the fact that The Doors' "Riders on the Storm" was playing on the car radio at the moment of impact. For me, any memory of that song includes a loud bang, twisting metal and breaking glass.

But at a less life-threatening milestone moment of young adulthood, this piece was playing in the background. It took me three decades to finally identify it, and this fellow plays it as well as anyone.

cosmicmechanic

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:17 am

wrench wrote:
Pierre, a this is high risk thread indeed. But I do find it fascinating how we tend to file away musical sidebars to the events in our lives ...
Could be risky, Dan B) ... thanks for chancing it ! Interesting imagery there ... glad that you are here to tell the story.

And this is a kind of "get to know ya" thread ... doesn't it take some of those, now and then (I think?).

Pierre

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:40 pm

Standing in the sports department looking at the golf clubs in the Royal Malaysian Air force NAAFI in Kuala Lumpur when I was 10 years old and hearing the Beatles Hello Goodbye over the piped music system.

Walking down the corridor in the sport centre I used to coach in and hearing the guitar intro to Damn Good by Dave Lee Roth for the first time, stopped me in my tracks!

cosmicmechanic

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:01 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
... Walking down the corridor in the sport centre I used to coach in and hearing the guitar intro to Damn Good by Dave Lee Roth for the first time, stopped me in my tracks!
Chris, I wasn't familiar with any music by DLR that is this reflective, so I'm quite surprised ... a good tip!

I had mostly associated him with big hair, spandex, and also, remember the tune "Just a Gigolo" ? It could be the Invisible Man's theme song, since the chorus starts with "I ain't got NO BODY" !

Pierre

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:36 pm

Yeah, Damn Good is the only song of his that's any good! ;-) But, wow what a stunner!

cosmicmechanic wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:
... Walking down the corridor in the sport centre I used to coach in and hearing the guitar intro to Damn Good by Dave Lee Roth for the first time, stopped me in my tracks!
Chris, I wasn't familiar with any music by DLR that is this reflective, so I'm quite surprised ... a good tip!

I had mostly associated him with big hair, spandex, and also, remember the tune "Just a Gigolo" ? It could be the Invisible Man's theme song, since the chorus starts with "I ain't got NO BODY" !

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic