Greatest Album from Front to Back?

BigBear

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:22 am

tgvanessa wrote:
A more recent album that I just LOVE front to Back is 'The King Is Dead', by The Decemberists! ;) :)
Great album!! Totally agree. :cheer:

willem

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:55 am

So funny,,I saw one call for Queen...

Willem

AndyT

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:23 am

I've worn out multiple copies of 4 albums throughout my life.

1. Dark Side (Of course)
2. The Wall (Another obvious one)
3. Funeral for a Friend (The one with the black piano cover)
4. Jesus Christ Superstar. (Ness, you surprised me with this one!)

I've listened to these so many times. Each one spoke volumes to me.

A close mention is Camel by Frampton.

Music Junkie

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:45 am

tgvanessa wrote:
So are you guys saying that you like ALL the songs on ALL those albums, front to back, as Suzi was asking??? Every single one of them? :S
Ness:

On the albums I have listed, I can honestly answer yes. I will, however, admit that I like some BETTER than others.

I would also point out that for me, the digital age has kind of killed the "Album" experience. Most of what I have these days resides within a "playlist".... I rarely ever just put an album on and listen to it. I find it to be a lost art. On the occasions when I am up in camp around the fire, I will still choose an album and just sit and listen to the whole thing. I am a big fan of listening to an album as it was laid out by the artist, I just don't do it often enough anymore.

Jason

TGNesh

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:28 am

Oh absolutely!! Both my sister and I just worn it out completely!! :woohoo: I find it musically soooooooooooo ^#%^@%@$# FANTASTIC (for the lack of a better word)! Did I already mention that I love that album front to back?? :P

Best song on the record to me, 'I only want to say' (Gethsemane, although lyrically I couldn't disagree more, but that's a totally different story). As a kid I was SO fascinated by the amazing voice of Ted Neeley (although I loved the voices of the others as well), when singing this :ohmy: .....
Not too long ago I watched him singing it on stage (youtube), he's obviously much older now and he was just ...%#$@%@$%...he gives me goosebumps....WOW.....! Ooooooh I feel a rave coming up :laugh:, sorry back to the subject! ;)

AndyT wrote:
4. Jesus Christ Superstar. (Ness, you surprised me with this one!)

reiver

Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:38 am

It seems like most of the albums that I'd happily listen to all the way through happened to me in my teens. I think for most of us, the listening experience was different then. If we'd wanted to skip a track we'd have had to get off of the floor and walk to the record player. It was less trouble just to let the record play and by doing that we allowed those tracks that we started off as not caring for much to grow on us.

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Not only a double album, but I remember the teenager me thinking that Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding may be the best opening to an album ever. I still think it may be)
Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story
Cat Stevens - Teaser and the Firecat
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells (Although it's probably only 2 tracks!)
Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell
Counting Crows - August and Everything After
Antony and the Johnsons - I am a Bird Now (Listening to this now makes me question my state of mind around 2005!)
Gillian Welch - The Harrow and the Harvest (David Rawlings' guitar)

I've been trying to recall some of those albums not already listed but I would also put a shout out for;
The Captain and Me - Doobie Brothers
Who's Next - The Who

Stuart

neverfoundthetime

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:26 pm

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Not only a double album, but I remember the teenager me thinking that Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding may be the best opening to an album ever. I still think it may be)
Spoken like a man who know's his stuff Stuart! Funeral for a friend sounded great played full blast in my college room and listened to down the other end of the hall :-). Tubular Bells was the soundtrack to my A-levels and Bat Out of Hell was always a blast!

suziko

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:36 pm

I toyed with the idea of putting Honky Chateau on my list, but decided there are a couple songs on side 2 that I just don't like well enough. But so many good songs on that album all the same! Teaser and the Firecat is really solid. It's not one I love as much now as I did about 20 years ago, but it's still a really good album. Good choice!

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Spoken like a man who know's his stuff Stuart! Funeral for a friend sounded great played full blast in my college room and listened to down the other end of the hall :-). Tubular Bells was the soundtrack to my A-levels and Bat Out of Hell was always a blast!

lueders

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:22 pm

Nice Post, Suzi! :) :)
Ohhh SO many....
You really got me thinking on this one...

Portishead's album "Dummy" is holds up for me. I thought it was brilliant in the 90s
and still manages to sound contemporary and fresh even today. Brilliant, mellow and so ahead of its time. Do check this one out if u have never heard it.

The Violent Femmes album "Add It Up"(okay, purists I know it is technically a greatest hits package) remains a favorite of mine.

I thought Wilco's Sky Blue Sky was brilliant for a long while...just like all the critics always do lol.
But I don't what it is...I can't stand it anymore.
Nirvana Unplugged is a favorite that has held up.
I used to think Tori Amos's "Little Earthquakes" was the all-time crowning achievement of popular culture...I have soured on it a bit. Even though I see it as STILL truly brilliant...I sort of find some of her vague referential lyrics a bit much these days.
I usually like stuff more straight-forward bare bones and gritty these days.

I LOVED Sufjan Stevens album Illinois for a long time and have tired of it lately.
Tracy Chapman's debut album is arguably my favorite all-time.
A close second is the Joshua Tree.

I will say too that though I am not the rabid Decemberists fan as u Suzi and others I can definately see the appeal and the potential for that one to enter the top three or four some day.

suziko

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:49 pm

Funny you should mention Dummy, because that album was also one I thought of!! I used to listen to that constantly when I first moved to Madison. Just love Beth Gibbons's voice! The Joshua Tree is a good choice, though the last two songs on it aren't as strong as the rest (imo). Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was to me what Sky Blue Sky was to you, Cori. I used to listen to that album constantly but it just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Two other choices for me that are less known (though not entirely obscure by any means) would be The Hazards of Love by The Decemberists and Good Humor by Saint Etienne. HoL is perfect on vinyl because it's essentially a rock opera and works best when played as a whole. Good Humor is by an English alternative dance band. It came out in the late 90s and is just pure pop bliss.

lueders wrote:
Nice Post, Suzi! :) :)
Ohhh SO many....
You really got me thinking on this one...

Portishead's album "Dummy" is holds up for me. I thought it was brilliant in the 90s
and still manages to sound contemporary and fresh even today. Brilliant, mellow and so ahead of its time. Do check this one out if u have never heard it.

The Violent Femmes album "Add It Up"(okay, purists I know it is technically a greatest hits package) remains a favorite of mine.

I thought Wilco's Sky Blue Sky was brilliant for a long while...just like all the critics always do lol.
But I don't what it is...I can't stand it anymore.
Nirvana Unplugged is a favorite that has held up.
I used to think Tori Amos's "Little Earthquakes" was the all-time crowning achievement of popular culture...I have soured on it a bit. Even though I see it as STILL truly brilliant...I sort of find some of her vague referential lyrics a bit much these days.
I usually like stuff more straight-forward bare bones and gritty these days.

I LOVED Sufjan Stevens album Illinois for a long time and have tired of it lately.
Tracy Chapman's debut album is arguably my favorite all-time.
A close second is the Joshua Tree.

I will say too that though I am not the rabid Decemberists fan as u Suzi and others I can definately see the appeal and the potential for that one to enter the top three or four some day.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic