Allies
CSNY ..... Deja Vu
4 Way Street
Frank Zappa ...... One Size Fits All
Jethro Tull ...... Aqualong
Thick as a Brick
Songs from the Wood
Neil Young ....... Live Rust
New Grass Revival .... Live Album (I can't remember the name), just got it on tape (yeap, it's old B) )
Pink Floyd ........ Dark Side of The Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
Yes ........ Yes Album
Fragile

Some more on the road :)

Abilio

cosmicmechanic

Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:26 pm

Hey Suzi,

If the distribution of Shawn Phillips' 1970 album "Second Contribution" had been more solid, it would probably be on a lot of these here album lists.
He's from Texas, had a vocal range of 4 octaves then (can't say now?). His music has received acclaim in spots around the world, such as in Quebec and South Africa, but not nearly enough as he deserves.

------------------------
tgvanessa wrote:
Quick answer: Deja Vu and Jesus Christ Superstar!!!!! :woohoo:
Vanessa, Shawn Phillips was originally chosen to be JC in "Jesus Christ Superstar" ... but he (or someone) decided his touring and recording meant cancelling that ! :huh:

Suzi, as for awesome facial hair (or just plain hair), here's an eyefull ! ;)
------------------------

"Second Contribution" really is an end-to-end masterpiece. So here are the first 4 tunes, ON VINYL, with hiss and all ... they form a suite, flowing along.

TIME--TITLE
4:54--She Was Waiting For Her Mother At the Station in Torino and You Know I Love You Baby But It's Getting Too Heavy To Laugh (WOMAN)
3:21--Keep On
1:32--Sleepwalker
3:49-- Song for Mr. C

songman52

Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:14 am

Wow, lots of good choices and great memories. Cosmic- just last week I was listening to Shawn Phillips! I've always loved his voice. I still like the front and back covers of Second Contribution. There are a few Simon and Garfunkel albums I listened to often.
I still have lots of vinyl including Elton John, S&G, MJ's Thriller, Tea for the Tillerman, Teaser and the Firecat, James Taylor (including Mud Slide Slim), several Jim Croce, some Zep, Guess Who, etc.

But as for track one, flip over through the last track, I'd have to say Days of Future Passed by the Moody Blues is one of my all-time favorites. A major concept album, from pre-dawn through nighttime, it follows a complete day. That's where Dawn is a Feeling, Tuesday Afternoon and Nights in White Satin all come from, in sequence. Can't tell you how many afternoons I fell asleep with that album playing! With the backing of the London Festival Orchestra, wow, just great memories. Aside- my son and I saw them (Moody Blues) in the late 90s, outdoors under the stars backed by the Houston Symphony Orchestra. Beautiful night, great music, my son there ...

Anyway, my age is showing. Anyone interested in Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper's, Iron Butterfly, Led Zeppelin, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Cat Stevens, Box Tops, Scarborough Faire and a few other 8 track tapes? Not sure if they would still play, though.

cosmicmechanic

Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:42 am

songman52 wrote:
But as for track one, flip over through the last track, I'd have to say Days of Future Passed by the Moody Blues is one of my all-time favorites. A major concept album, from pre-dawn through nighttime, it follows a complete day. That's where Dawn is a Feeling, Tuesday Afternoon and Nights in White Satin all come from, in sequence. Can't tell you how many afternoons I fell asleep with that album playing! With the backing of the London Festival Orchestra, wow, just great memories..
Tell you the truth, my knee-jerk reaction was to say "Days of Future Passed" is the best end-to-end album ... that is, that after the teenager experience, then the ideal adult experience is playing it on a drive on a veeerry veeery loooong daaaark road.

auntlynnie

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:01 am

Wow, Suzi, great thread!

Reading through everyone's top albums sure brings back a lot of great memories. I can almost guess what year some folks graduated from high school.

I have two categories.
What I listened to straight through back then, and which ones I listen to straight through now.

Back then - during my teens (Class of 1976):
Every Picture Tell a Story - Rod Stewart
Saturate Before Using - Jackson Browne (David Crosby's harmonies really give this album a unique sound)
Harvest - Neil Young
There Goes Rhymin Simon - Paul Simon
Deja Vu - CSNY
Fragile - Yes
Aqualung - Jethro Tull
Sgt. Pepper - Beatles

During my 20s:
Steeleye Span - Below the Salt
Still Crazy After All These Years - Paul Simon
Old Dan's Records - Gordon Lightfoot
The Fields of November - Norman Blake
I Robot - Alan Parsons Project

My 30s:
I could only tell you about Raffi - Robin in the Rain.
Blue Shamrock - Alec Finn

My 40s:
Unplugged - Eric Clapton
Bargainville - Moxy Fruvous
You Will Go to the Moon - Moxy Fruvous
Meteora - Linkin Park
Hybrid Theory - Linkin Park
Supernatural - Carlos Santana

My 50s:
Ki - Deven Townsend Project
After the Gold Rush - Neil Young
Saturate Before Using - Jackson Browne

I just wish I would take the time to sit and listen to music like I used to.
Lynn

jcrocket

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:52 am

This is one of those questions where I have to go with the first thoughts that come to mind, otherwise I'll be typing a list of dozens of albums. Dark Side, Who's Next, and Stevie Wonder's "Innervisions" come to mind first (if Neil ever did a lesson on "Visions" off of that album, I'd be one happy guitar player!)

As is the case with many others here, the convenience and instant gratification of the digital age have totally changed my listening habits, to the point where I can't remember the last time I sat and listened to an entire album (or CD) start to finish.

Jeff

suziko

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:17 am

Thanks so much to everyone for responding! I am really enjoying hearing everyone's choices. I've got a few albums I'll be keeping my eyes out for to add to my collection now!

Lynn- Old Dan's Records is a great choice. That's one I have and listen to regularly. Only problem is the song "Can't Depend On Love" which, for some reason, I really, really don't like!! But practically every other song is just great, and the starting song ("Farewell to Annabell") and the ending song ("Hi'way Song") are two of my absolute favorite Gord songs.

Suzi

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:25 am

That makes three of us guys!

But I am also torn between that and QUESTION and To Our Children's Children's Children and Seventh Sojourn. Not a dud track in sight!

cosmicmechanic wrote:
songman52 wrote:
But as for track one, flip over through the last track, I'd have to say Days of Future Passed by the Moody Blues is one of my all-time favorites. A major concept album, from pre-dawn through nighttime, it follows a complete day. That's where Dawn is a Feeling, Tuesday Afternoon and Nights in White Satin all come from, in sequence. Can't tell you how many afternoons I fell asleep with that album playing! With the backing of the London Festival Orchestra, wow, just great memories..
Tell you the truth, my knee-jerk reaction was to say "Days of Future Passed" is the best end-to-end album ... that is, that after the teenager experience, then the ideal adult experience is playing it on a drive on a veeerry veeery loooong daaaark road.

auntlynnie

Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:42 am

Jeff -
I forgot about Innervisions. I listened to that one a lot, too.
Lynn

dekotaj

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:18 am

Hey Suzie.

Couple of albums here I would agree with. But there's a lot I've not heard of.
Every song??? wow kinda tough.

Led Zeppelin IV,Aqualung, Dark Side of the Moon. A lot of other great song on some great albums. But love every song???
I guess two I would put up would be,

The Allman Brothers Band - Brothers And Sisters
The Marshall Tucker Band - Searching for a Rainbow

I was thinking that The Guess who or Three dog night and others. But just cant go with every song.

Nice thread suz.

Kev

P.S. Any and every song done by Jim Croce.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic