Greatest Album from Front to Back?

unclewalt

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:29 pm

A bunch of albums cited here, particularly those by the Beatles and Dylan, certainly qualify. But the two I always think of in this context are: Ziggy Stardust and Some Girls. The former more than the latter, even though I think I like Some Girls better in general. But it contains one or two by-the-numbers Stones things (like "Lies") -- which are great, but unlike the rest of the album, not among the best Stones tunes of all time. There's no cut on Ziggy that's anything less than classic.

I think I choose those two because they almost seem like greatest-hits collections on their own. Dark Side of the Moon surely qualifies, as do Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Blonde on Blonde, London Calling, Patti Smith's Horses, and lots of others -- but they don't quite have that same feel, like *every single song* is an all-time classic. Blood on the Tracks fits, but it's so personal to me that I don't think I can judge it with any kind of detachment. Also, while I love "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts," that song alone might preclude the album's inclusion in a list like this. But again, I probably shouldn't try to judge.

I would say greatest-hits collections probably shouldn't qualify.

suziko

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:35 pm

unclewalt wrote:
I would say greatest-hits collections probably shouldn't qualify.
Agreed completely. I did call out The Doobies in my initial post, but only as a joke.

Another one for me is Yes's Fragile. It's an album I happily listen to on a regular basis, from beginning to end.

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:06 pm

I love seeing the responses, because there are so many great choices! Fleetwood Mac - "Rumors" would work for me too. B) I saw Srgt. Peppers mentioned earlier, and I still have my vinyl copy of that one. I just transcribed "Tangled Up In Blue" by Bob Dylan, and that was off of "Blood on the Tracks", which is a great album.

For anyone who might enjoy newer progressive rock, "Images and Words" by Dream Theater was a great album. Not everyone's cup of tea though, I imagine.

I agree about the greatest hits albums too....not really fair...lol

One particular album that I love is Jackson Browne's self titled, sometimes called "Saturate Before Using". Excellent listen if you are ever inclined.

Other albums that I enjoy listening to from beginning to end are:

Coldplay - Rush of Blood to the Head
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the moon (already mentioned by others)
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Led Zeppelin IV
Incubus - Morning View
Rush - Moving Pictures
Jackson Browne - Running on Empty
Jackson Browne - For Everyman
Jackson Browne - Late for the Sky
The Doobie Brothers - The Captain and Me
Eagles - Hotel California
Steely Dan - Aja
Supertramp - Breakfast in America
Neil Young - Harvest
The Who - Who's Next

I know I am forgetting several... :P

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:11 pm

Well Sue, I mentioned about 4 years ago, when moving apartment, I gave away my record player and trashed my albums... except for a few which I kept. here are 4 I kept which would qualify:

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:14 pm

...and this, which rates very high up....

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:17 pm

...and this may surprise a few, the Stranglers, Dream Time. Heard it in a clothes shop and had to buy it immediately!

Looks like I didn't keep my BOSTON album but that really is hard to beat... think I let it go as I had it on CD.
Of course, my entire Moody Blues collection belongs here too... but I thought that would be too obvious for me! :-)

heyjoe

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:50 pm

What a great topic

Just been sorting through my CD's (don't have any records or tapes anymore), and have a few that I happily listen all the way through, no duds.

Aerosmith - Pump
The Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker
Foo Fighters - Wasting Light
Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble- In Step
Paul Weller - Stanley Road

and finally

The Who - Live at Leeds.

Lots of rock, metal and blues in my collection.

Joe

Hydroman52

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:10 pm

Most of these already mentioned that I would agree with. Others I've never heard all the way through. Here are some more that I like:

ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
ZZ Top - Rio Grande Mud (Wow! Two in a row....life is good)
Eric Clapton - Unplugged

and a very obscure

The Flame - The Flame

I have found that many of the albums that I once liked all the way through no longer retain that status. And, as my tastes broaden, music that I didn't like at the time I'm finding to be quite brilliant. It's all quite dynamic. I'm not as rigid in my tastes as I once was, and am able to change my opinion without feeling too guilty. Does that make sense?

Hydroman52

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:26 pm

I have found that many of the albums that I once liked all the way through no longer retain that status. And, as my tastes broaden, music that I didn't like at the time I'm finding to be quite brilliant. It's all quite dynamic. I'm not as rigid in my tastes as I once was, and am able to change my opinion without feeling too guilty. Does that make sense?

Hydroman52
Yep, makes a lot of sense. I find I can't stomach some of the artists that were my favorites back in HS and also that I now like some artists that I completely dismissed as a younger listener. Quite dynamic.... :)

TGNesh

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:29 pm

A more recent album that I just LOVE front to Back is 'The King Is Dead', by The Decemberists! ;) :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic