Which Laptop would you recommend?

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi guys, many thanks for the helpful suggestions and comments, much appreciated!

Thanks Wiley, Hydro and Rick.

Wiley, I'm adapting the mic1/4" to the PCs 1/8" jack/pin and directly into the PC. Interestingly its the same in plug as the headphones so when I played the recording back, it was audible in the mic head! Never seen (heard) that before! Yeah, could be sound card but if so its major crappy!

The link was very helpful Hydro, I had done a search but not found too much. I'll be checking that link.

Rick, I'm not sure what a DI is.

So far, the recording function is my only complaint, everything else seems honky dorey.

tombo1230

Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:01 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:

Wiley, I'm adapting the mic1/4" to the PCs 1/8" jack/pin and directly into the PC. Interestingly its the same in plug as the headphones so when I played the recording back, it was audible in the mic head! Never seen (heard) that before! Yeah, could be sound card but if so its major crappy!

Rick, I'm not sure what a DI is.

So far, the recording function is my only complaint, everything else seems honky dorey.
Hi Chris,
hearing sound when your mike is plugged in to your sound output is normal.

Sound cards are normally cheap and the weakest link in your pc or laptop. If you have a great mic but poor sound card = crap sound. :(

In general, If you want to make a good sound recording, then record into a DAW via a digital interface box, (DI) i.e. an analogue to digital convertor
which is of high quality and replaces your pc's sound card. It uses seperate drivers of it's own. This is how I record. (I am not referring to the online busking here as I haven't tried this yet and you wouldn't need a DAW for that.)(probably) :) Your other alternative is to record the analogue signal digitally onto a hard drive, like Buddy and a few others do, same difference. Hope this helps.

Tom N.

RicksPick

Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:06 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M-Audio-AVID- ... 35cd13d44c

Just an example of one brand that i got from uk ebay

other products are available lol

Mine is an older and lower version, cheep and works perfectly, not sure if it would work with win 8 tho?

It just cuts out any problems and gives me a clean sound, I thought it a shame at the time that I needed such an item but it will move to my next pc, so no wories there i hope :huh:

Rick

Phew it does have updated drivers lol

wiley

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:11 pm

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:43 am

For someone your age maybe an Abacus ....if you can get used to the technology that is lol....

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:58 am

Chas, thanks for your words of wisdom... and have someone change your senior diaper! :P :laugh:

Tom, thanks, yeah crap sound card will skittle everything else! So it does look like its time for me to get an external DI gizmo... 3 or 4 years ago we had detailed discussions on that and AL and Buddy were using good gadgets which I can vaguely recall so I will be PMing them as they are out to lunch at the mo. Yes Wiley, I will start with a $250 or so budget and see what I can get... AI?.. I thought that was Alien Intelligence... that may be out of my range :laugh: Yeah, isn't it funny, 30 years ago it was all about Hi Fi and sound experience and I still have my custom built speakers which set me back 3 times what I paid for this new notebook! I don't like the mp3 experience but its what we are stuck with pretty much theses days. I do have a great digital recording program with Adobe Audition and of course Audacity... just haven't tried Audition on Windows 8 yet... am fearing the worst... will get to that at the weekend probably.

I need a simple solution to:
- record audio for making my TG videos
- record mp3s for relaxation and visualisation for my mental training clients

I think the sound card is weak but something could be faulty too because I was just a talking into the mic and this was already too much for it to handle!

Thanks Rick, I remember that M thingamajig coming up on the forum... will check it out too.

Ah, this rings a bell....

https://www.google.ch/search?q=micro+BR ... B576%3B351

thereshopeyet

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:28 am

Chris

I know it's unlikely but there could be a fault.... what's the odds on you getting a faulty sound one ! :ohmy: :laugh: :laugh:

Have you considered contacting the seller for advise regarding your issues.... it is new !!

Just a thought :dry:

Dermot

:)

willem

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:37 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Chris

I know it's unlikely but there could be a fault.... what's the odds on you getting a faulty sound one ! :ohmy: :laugh: :laugh:

Have you considered contacting the seller for advise regarding your issues.... it is new !!

Just a thought :dry:

Dermot

:)

I totally agree here with Dermot,,,when I bought my laptop we sure at a talking what I do with it or want to do with it,,and the guy was a really good adviser,,he knowed his stuff!!!

cheers

Willem

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:26 am

Hi Dermot & Willem, yeah could be a fault, seems most likely to me so I will check up with the sales people ... only I don't want them to say, yeah its faulty we'll replace your notebook or we'll repair it so just give it to us for a week... then I'd rather write off the microphone function and get an external gizmo as I just spent a week loading all my programs and setting the thing up! I am chasing a Boss Micro BR on a Swiss second hand site ...

thereshopeyet

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:57 am

Chris Wrote:
Then I'd rather write off the microphone function
What if you get a faulty gizmo ? :ohmy: I didn't say that ! :dry:

:laugh: :laugh:

Have you thought of....... just singing really loud ...................

:blush: :blush: Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic