Which Laptop would you recommend?

Hydroman52

Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:55 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
No AC adapter... have to pull power from the computer with the USB cable....
Chris,

I use an AC to USB adapter to power my Tascam from a wall outlet.

Actually, I've also use a 12VDC to USB adapter to power it when I'm mobile.

Don't know if you have different AC power in Swiss-land than in USA? Maybe you need something with a special plug?

But, usually, I just stuff it with Eneloop rechargeable batteries and carry spares if I need to run it for long periods.

Hydroman52

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi Mike, Switzerland has special everything! Some smart ass way back made sure we had different plugs to Germany and surrounding countries so that we all have to buy the "special" Swiss ones and not be able to get the cheaper German ones. Power voltage is 220-240 Volts. When I get the Tascam tomorrow I'll know more... thanks for the links. :)

neverfoundthetime

Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:39 am

My idea of a good afternoon... watching Federer at the Masters Finals, guitar in hand, testing the new Tascam....

neverfoundthetime

Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:50 pm

Ok, so I've been trying out the TASCAM GT-R1 this afternoon and have made a first recording to show how it sounds.
I recorded using the two condenser mics on the Tascam (didn't plug a mic in) itself and they record really well, nice sound, wave format 24 bit.
On this recording I was about 100cm away from the mic. Level seemed a little low but sounded great in the headphone mix while recording.
Recording quality is much better than anything I have got using the computer or iPhone. All in all I am very pleased with how the gizmo works and the sound quality achieved for simple recording. It does have a drum machine, effects etc so I'll be trying them out too, later....

Best to use headphones and turn up volume a little...

thereshopeyet

Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:19 pm

Chris,

That sounds great.I like you playing and singing great, wish I could do that.

Thanks for sharing your recording.

It'll be interesting to hear the drums and effects you mentioned
when you've experimented with them

Dermot

:)

RicksPick

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:09 pm

And it sounds good Chris
Nice and clear, could have been in the room
Rick

Hydroman52

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Hey Chris,

Glad to see (or should I say "hear") you enjoying your new toy. Just a couple of thoughts.

First, you might want to check to see if you have the latest firmware version installed. Here is the link for downloads for your unit:

http://tascam.com/product/gt-r1/downloads/

You may find they've put in some useful additional features if it isn't up to date.

Next, you may want to explore the other recording formats to see if the quality is acceptable. The reason I say this is because I started using the highest quality .wav files until I forgot to download and clear some unimportant recordings. Then we had a great rehearsal, and everyone wanted a copy of the recording. When I went to stop the recorder, I saw the "card full" message and realized that it ran out of room part way through our session. Much disappointment. I have now gone to an .Mp3 format and can fit a lot more data on the card. It also takes a lot less time to transfer files, but that isn't as frustrating as the missed recording.

What I heard in your demo here sounded good.

Hydroman52

daryl

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:53 pm

Very impressive sound on that little thing. Looking forward to more stuff from you and the little guy. I'm curious about the drummer in there.

willem

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:50 am

That sounded all ready fine,,great stuff those gizmooooooooos and fun..

W.

PS what was that song?? The first one..

neverfoundthetime

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:45 am

Thanks Dermot, Mike, Daryl, Rick and Willem.

Thanks for the useful links Mike, I will check out mp3 recording format although I prefer wave as with mp3 you lose so much and then making the video loses more as that transforms to mp3 and then again uploading to Youtube which mangles the sound yet again. I do good house keeping with files and will empty the Tascam regularly... 1Gb is a lot of data space and the recording I demoed was only 9MB, sure it can add up though!

Willem, the song was Cold on the Shoulder by Gordon Lightfoot.

Daryl and Dermot, I will try to demo some of the Tascam's properties and show the drum tracks. I don't expect to use them much but you never know.

I must say, the Tascam does make recording much more fun and much less complicated and fiddly.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic