Which Laptop would you recommend?

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi Guys

I'm having to replace my laptop which has served me well since I joined TG. These things always happen when you don't need them too. I'm sure there are many TGers who are updating their hardware or are, like me, about to. So here are my questions:

- Which laptops would you recommend (PC)? Value for money being highest priority?

- How does Windows 8 shape up? What are the problems to be expected and which
programmes/Add-ons/ accessories don't work?

At the moment I think I need Windows 8 like I need a hole in the head. I'd prefer Windows 7 but if I can't get the down-grade and have to swallow WINDOWS 8, I'd like to be aware of the problems I'd have to face.

Until now I was using a Dell Inspiron 1525.

I use Firefox, MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Outlook, Adobe Audition, AVS Adio Editor, AVS Video Editor/Converter (etc), Google Earth, Skype, Adobe Reader (etc), YouTube Download Helper daily... don't want problems there!
I also connect a Kodak EIS ZI8 HD camera, a Samsung MP3 player and a Samsung 500MG Harddisk and my iPhone often.

Apart from visiting TG, I need to surf, FB, make and edit videos, record and edit my guitar/vocal efforts, make PP presentations, Skype and usual MS Office usage. Run my Squash tournaments.

I am looking at Laptops which are under the CHF 800.00 mark here US Dollar 880.00

So far have looked at Dell Vostro 3560, HP ProBook 4540 which both seem reasonable.

Any tips, advice, help... I am all ears and grateful for any help.

Many thanks
Chris

willem

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:39 pm

I do all your stuff except PP,,It works well on all fronts,,I bought it three years ago,maybe 2,5 years ago

ASUS K72F series...I think it was around 650 euros,,till now I am very happy with it...

Willem

PS,, I went to the shop and told them what I all wanted to do with it and they gave me the advise...

EDIT: I don't use the build in webcam but bought a logitech high end (920 i believe) wich can!!!! do HD too

maybe important (or not) I have a HDMI port also..

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:53 pm

Thanks Willem. Been looking at Asus too, they offer a lot for the money.

willem

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:00 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Thanks Willem. Been looking at Asus too, they offer a lot for the money.
Thats so true!!!!! very pleased with it till now,,I had a compaq for 12 years so I am spoiled..goodluck!!!

Mine is old know!!!!!

Willem

Music Junkie

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:19 pm

Chris:

Dell, Asus or Acer are all decent for the money. Although, as a fair warning on the Dell, some of them have started to partition the had drive into two drives. A C: drive for all the operating system stuff, and a D: drive for all the data stuff. Not a problem, unless you use Itunes for things like IPhones or IPads. Even if you install your ITunes on the D: drive, ITunes will place all of your back-ups on your C: drive, and you will run out of room. A problem that Apple conveniently continues to ignore... :(

I have never owned an ASUS, but have read good things about them. I have a Dell, and an Acer. both are solid machines.

As far as Windows 8, I try to avoid it like the plague, but it is getting harder and harder to do that. If you go to Dell's site, it is very difficult to get the downgrade, unless you call and talk to someone. I don't like Windows 8 at all, but I also have not taken the time to dive into it. Won't have a choice by the next time I upgrade.... Of course Windows 9, then 10, then 11 will be out anytime now if history holds.... :woohoo: :woohoo:

Good luck!

J

willem

Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Chris:

Dell, Asus or Acer are all decent for the money. Although, as a fair warning on the Dell, some of them have started to partition the had drive into two drives. A C: drive for all the operating system stuff, and a D: drive for all the data stuff. Not a problem, unless you use Itunes for things like IPhones or IPads. Even if you install your ITunes on the D: drive, ITunes will place all of your back-ups on your C: drive, and you will run out of room. A problem that Apple conveniently continues to ignore... :(

I have never owned an ASUS, but have read good things about them. I have a Dell, and an Acer. both are solid machines.

As far as Windows 8, I try to avoid it like the plague, but it is getting harder and harder to do that. If you go to Dell's site, it is very difficult to get the downgrade, unless you call and talk to someone. I don't like Windows 8 at all, but I also have not taken the time to dive into it. Won't have a choice by the next time I upgrade.... Of course Windows 9, then 10, then 11 will be out anytime now if history holds.... :woohoo: :woohoo:

Good luck!

J

The Asus has that too and C is running out of room but it is easy to drag your stuf to D or an other hard drive...don't know a bout Itunes cos I don't have it...

Willem

wiley

Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:33 pm

kanefsky

Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Try to get one with an SSD (solid state drive) if at all possible. Nothing will make a bigger difference in performance than that (unless you really skimp on RAM). I would take a 128GB SSD over a 1TB hard drive any day of the week. You can always plug in an external USB drive if/when you need more space.

--
Steve

thereshopeyet

Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:12 pm

Chris

That poor wee laptop must be nearly at the laptop's grave yard.... are you putting it to sleep!!! ZZZzzzzzz
It's a sad day.

:(

See if you can get a Link - Hybrid SSD .

Put the OS and most often used applications on the SSD and Data and everything else on the Hard Drive.
The SSD, makes a big difference to boot time, more so than increasing RAM, but lots of RAM's a good thing too.

Unfortunately, if warranty's an issue for you, you can't change much once you've purchased it.

:laugh: :laugh:

Oh, and a large crank handle!

TheresHopeYet :dry:

neverfoundthetime

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:02 am

Thanks Willem, MJ, Wiley, Dermot and Steve, some useful info for me right there. Very interested to hear about the advantages of SSD Steve, thanks for that. Looked up some Laptops with SSD and it puts things in the $1,100.00 range minimum but I like the sound of that added speed... always an issue on start up and when editing audio and video.

I will try to avoid Windows 8 if at all possible and I am looking more at Acer and Asus.....

Chris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic